Personal References

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModestMussorgsky

Reaction score
Here's a list of what I have used to study. There is a lot. I'm trying to figure out what to bring to the test and what to leave behind.

References

Lind. CERM

Lind. Transpo Ref Man

Complete HCM

Compete HSM (Draft)

AASHTO Green Book

AASHTO Guide for Design of Pavement Structures (1993 w/o 1998 sup)

AASHTO Roadside Design Guide

AI - Asphalt Handbook (1988)

PCA Book

FHWA Culvert Book

Extras

1.5" Binder full of:

Lindeburg Practice Problems

6 Min solutions worked problems

Principle of HIghway Engineering and Traffic Analysis 3rd)

Somehow hit submit early. Continuing:

Extras

Principles of Highway Engineering and Traffic Analysis (3rd)
1.5" Binder full of packets and practice problems from an ASCE study course I took

1.5" Binder full of:
-Lind. Practice Problems

-Lind. Transpo Ref Practice Problems

-Lind. Solved Problems (Transpo section)

-6 Min solutions worked problems

-Mansour Practice Problems

-engineerboards quizzes

-Mike's, 4 Raja, and 2 Goswami practice tests

-NCEES practice tests (worked problems)

Arg. There is either no edit function or I'm completely missing it. Anyways, that's about all the material I have. Has anyone here brought any of those extras in the exam with them? Anything you guys see that I should definitely not bring along? I hear desk space is not plentiful there.

Also, here are my experiences on the material I took. The practice problems from Lindeburg were too hard and too time consuming, and I regret spending time on them. I basically did the whole book except a few sections we wont be tested on, and the last half of the structural section. I liked the 6 min solutions, Mansour's practice problems, and the practice exams I mentioned. I generally scored 65-75 on the 6 min/Mansour and around 85 on all the other practice exams. I'm not sure what that means. I took off next week and will be doing all practice tests. Lets hope it' all worth it.

Here's a list of what I have used to study. There is a lot. I'm trying to figure out what to bring to the test and what to leave behind.

References

Lind. CERM

Lind. Transpo Ref Man

Complete HCM

Compete HSM (Draft)

AASHTO Green Book

AASHTO Guide for Design of Pavement Structures (1993 w/o 1998 sup)

AASHTO Roadside Design Guide

AI - Asphalt Handbook (1988)

PCA Book

FHWA Culvert Book

Extras

1.5" Binder full of:

Lindeburg Practice Problems

6 Min solutions worked problems

Principle of HIghway Engineering and Traffic Analysis 3rd)
Why not bring it all? It should all fit in 1 - 2 Banker's Boxes. But, to answer your question, if you used it to answer any question during your study, bring it.

I have every book on the NCEES list, my School of PE Notes, multiple practice exams, CERM, Goswami AIO and a few other random ones.

I am able to fit everything into rolling cart from Staples and a milk crate strapped to the top of that. I am comfortable knowing where things are in what reference. I'm taking everything because of this knowing I won't waste time wandering aimlessly through references unless I get a problem that isn't familiar and one of my oddball references can be of help.

I'd say take it all if you're comfortable knowing it won't hurt you with time management.

Like ptatohed said, if you used it to study with, bring it. If not, forget about it. I brought two banker boxes packed with everything I studied with.

You can't edit posts yet because you're still considered a n00b. Stupid rule I know. Until you hit like 40 posts or something, only then can you edit. That's how it played out for me anyway. Good luck!

Physically carrying it in is no problem for me. I'm just hoping that I'd be able to have enough space on my desk for everything. Also, I'm wondering if I'll even have enough time to dig through the pile I have (although its well sorted)

Physically carrying it in is no problem for me. I'm just hoping that I'd be able to have enough space on my desk for everything. Also, I'm wondering if I'll even have enough time to dig through the pile I have (although its well sorted)
Why would everything need to be on your desk? Just keep only the few essentials on your desk and everything else in the banker boxes next to you.

As for time, hopefully you know your reference material inside and out by now, have things tabbed etc.

Why would everything need to be on your desk? Just keep only the few essentials on your desk and everything else in the banker boxes next to you.

As for time, hopefully you know your reference material inside and out by now, have things tabbed etc.

I'm agreeing with Wizard here on this one. When I took the exam last year, I kept the most important references on the desk with me (HCM and green book). The other references were sitting in my open suitcase on the floor. While the desk space isn't plentiful, I had enough room to place a full bankers box and one extra reference on the table while still leaving enough room for my table mate.

This year I took the EET prep class so my depth binder will go on the table with me. :)

49NGChd.jpg

Tabs, you say???

Ok, well I didn't know we could keep something next to us. I remember taking the FE and the testing center being really restrictive on what I could bring inside the testing room.

^Looks about 2 full banker boxes to me. :)

I think you need a few more tabs though. :p

49NGChd.jpg

Tabs, you say???

Ok, well I didn't know we could keep something next to us. I remember taking the FE and the testing center being really restrictive on what I could bring inside the testing room.
FE = no booksPE = as many as you can carry

Oh, I'll have to take a pic, I know I have that beat.

OK ... so I have a dilemma ... I busted up my car last week and it went in to the shop today. My steel manual is in the trunk. Is anyone bringing, or have you even used this?? This was more of an oh sh1t book for me anyway....but curious what others think

OK ... so I have a dilemma ... I busted up my car last week and it went in to the shop today. My steel manual is in the trunk. Is anyone bringing, or have you even used this?? This was more of an oh sh1t book for me anyway....but curious what others think

JQ, I thought you were taking Transpo depth, right? Why on Buddha’s green earth would you need a steel manual?

I have no freaking clue, and to be honest I don't even know what anything in there means.

But you never know I guess...Amir from EET put in my head. He went over it in the breadth portion (although his breadth, I hope, was way more intense than the exam).

I have no freaking clue, and to be honest I don't even know what anything in there means.

But you never know I guess...Amir from EET put in my head. He went over it in the breadth portion (although his breadth, I hope, was way more intense than the exam).

I've told you before dude.... don't spend even one minute on anything in which you won't be tested. Let me guess.... you studied spiral curves, didn't you?

I did not touch spiral curves.

But I honestly feel grossly unprepared for this thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

JQ, I thought you were taking Transpo depth, right? Why on Buddha’s green earth would you need a steel manual?
Columns are included in the structures section of breadth... I'm taking mine and hoping to not need it...

I'm stressing too JQ, good luck Friday

Right with you guys. Felt very prepared last week, this week getting the jitters and starting to doubt myself...specifically about the morning.

The thing that gets me about this new exam format as how much it favors some disciplines. I am strictly a highway engineer (geometrics, takeoffs, drainage, E&S, MPT, S&PMP, etc) and out of all of that the number of questions in the morning is way low. I mean, 3 trans questions, c'mon now.

End rant...lot of pent up tension here after almost 3 months of having no life haha. Good luck to us all, can't wait until Friday is done with!

Right with you guys. Felt very prepared last week, this week getting the jitters and starting to doubt myself...specifically about the morning.

The thing that gets me about this new exam format as how much it favors some disciplines. I am strictly a highway engineer (geometrics, takeoffs, drainage, E&S, MPT, S&PMP, etc) and out of all of that the number of questions in the morning is way low. I mean, 3 trans questions, c'mon now.

End rant...lot of pent up tension here after almost 3 months of having no life haha. Good luck to us all, can't wait until Friday is done with!
3 months w/o a life. That's what scares me the most about failing. Not what I'll look like professionally, but the time I would have to dedicate to this all over again....

Back