Pay Raise? - OCT 2014 - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
steve1997

Pay Raise?

photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif

In my company it is expected that you eventually pass the PE. No raise just a small bonus and better chance for promotion.

nope. i got nothing but the exam fee, the hotel, and the day off paid for.

5% Pay raise but....

I switched jobs two years later and got 15%

Then switch jobs again a year after that and got another 10%

Due to my PE

8 yrs post passing and another state agency was only offering a bump of 4% for having the PE.

nope. i got nothing but the exam fee, the hotel, and the day off paid for.

Govt work. Bah.

5% Pay raise but....

I switched jobs two years later and got 15%

Then switch jobs again a year after that and got another 10%

Due to my PE

This.

I got 27% for passing Oct 2013.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

27% is absolute crazy. I guess unless you were fairly low $$$. I'm guessing Civil? I've heard before/after is huge for Civil

Wrong. Your salary is what you make it, regardless of discipline.

In the year following passing the exam, I have received a total of a 9% raise.

• Like 1

I got a 2,400 salary raise for a first professional license. Supposedly there is a freeze on promotions and raises at my company right now. We shall see in the coming months what happens....

Salary is always what you negotiate.

I started at an MEP firm at $58,000 passed PE got bumped to $61,000 (company paid for PE, materials, test, everything)

Moved to another firm that wanted to pay me $65,000, I laughed during interview and ended up at $72,500 (but was paying almost $10,000/year for health insurance).

Left them after a year to go to Water Utility and got $79,400 (my salary can be looked up online so doesn't matter if I post it). Left consulting to the water utility for the benefits for my family, plus lower stress, less overtime, etc.

Then I started my own electrical consulting for side income.

Also talk about salary to try and give people an idea if they make less to ask for more. Everything is negotiable.

• Like 1

Supposedly there is a freeze on promotions and raises at my company right now.

same here. i'm underpaid at the moment and my company is aware of it. even though we're on a freeze i had a respectful conversation with my boss last week, just to open the door on the subject. at the very least i want him to know that i'm looking for more. he agreed i'm due for a raise, it's now in the hands of our sales department (need to sell some projects). i figure it can't hurt letting my boss know that i'm looking for more responsibility and more compensation, that i do not want to just settle into a stagnant role in the company.

So far nothing. Actually since passing my supervisor and co-workers have become increasingly more hostile towards me. I think my supervisor called the state board to ask if there had been a mistake that there was no way I could have passed. They've yet to congratulate me and I don't think they ever will. My drafting tech now has more authority than I do. My boss and I have nearly the same amount of experience but he got his PE a few years before I did. When my boss got his PE he was promptly promoted and given a fat raise. Now he sits around bitching about how underpaid he is. He makes about $10k more than I do and he told me recently that I'm about where I should be. I asked him why is it that I was interviewed for a division manager's position and he wasn't? I heard nothing but crickets. Instead of sitting around and bitching like these idiots I worth with, I'm doing something about my situation. I'm applying for jobs and sending out my resume. I have been on over a dozen interviews the last few months and have a few good leads. Hopefully something will pan out soon.

One thing I will share with one of the interviews I went on is that the guy I interviewed with said that there is zero loyalty to employees now days. If you want a decent raise change jobs. He looked over my resume and application and said, "you're ready for the next step and you need to get out of that place you're working at. It's time for you to move on." Chances are you're in that situation too. Others on here like Willsee & Ship Wreck have already changed jobs and are reaping the rewards. It takes time to get there just like it took time to get that PE. I was under the false impression that I would get bumped up like my boss after passing the PE but I'm not part of the club.

No pay raise, just an attaboy. Of course, I work in the public sector where you don't get raises on ability, qualifications or accomplishments, you get raises according to how long you have been there and what political people you know. But the PE will give me mobility and options.

• Like 1

I told my boss that I had passed the PE and before I said anything my boss replied "now don't think you are going to get a salary raise or anything" and had a smirk on his face.

Well I can't change my jobs right now because of my visa constraints (and this is the reason my employer isn't worried about me going anywhere), but I hope that someday I can change my job.

In short no raise, not even a thought about it.

I told my boss that I had passed the PE and before I said anything my boss replied "now don't think you are going to get a salary raise or anything" and had a smirk on his face.

Well I can't change my jobs right now because of my visa constraints (and this is the reason my employer isn't worried about me going anywhere), but I hope that someday I can change my job.

In short no raise, not even a thought about it.

Similar situation regarding Visa constraints... However, do not let anyone bully you because of that !!!

I am interviewing with a similar company as my current but with much better pay and management responsibilities. Getting my PE is definitely proving to be useful in making my case for more $$$...

I have not gotten a raise either since passing the PE. In fact my company seems to be inconsistant in their value of engineers with PE licenses. Some segments of the company which operate in one state value it very much while other segments in another state don't value it at all. They have people who don't even have engineering degrees calling themselves engineers. Also another thing that is really humiliating for me is that I am still an entry-level engineer even though I have been with the company for six years, I have trained people who are classified as senior engineers and i just passed the PE exam in April. In fact I am the only engineer that has a PE license, my supervisor does not even has his PE license, and yet I am the lowest level engineer in the group. I believe that I could probably make a lot more money if I worked at a consulting company in more progressive areas such as Texas or Chicago.

DO NOT let the boys bully you regarding the PE and no raise. There is NO LOYALITY to the employee, irrespective of what the code of values says in the foyer of the main office.

It does no good to sit and bitch-- move out and make something happen. Now, if you have not kept your resume up to date and current, this weekend is a great time to put in the time to do so-- get a good resume, crisp and polished and then start to make something happen.

We worked with a client who stayed at his firm, a major public engineering firm for 9 years. First job out of college, got married, had a couple of babies, passed the PE exam and then his butt was on the road all the time. He got the "It is only for 4 month" routine. 12 months later, he called us and we got him an awesome job near home, no travel. Guess what-- his wife produced another baby!! Never seen a happier dude!

When he began his search, he was real rusty on the whole job search and interview process. We spent a lot of time helping him get up to speed, and when he did, good things happened.

Bottom line-- if your boss does not value your PE, then it is time to find someone who will. No reason to be ugly or negative about it, after all, this is a business decision. There are a plethora of factors that one has to consider when making a move, be it across the street or across the country. Don't do anything in haste-- develop a measured, calculated plan and approach. Once your approach is defined, execute.

There are lots of jobs that need PE's. If you have to talk to an idiot, the only guy that wins is the idiot-- someone is talking to he/she.

Now, moving 1200 miles away has some challenges as well, however, as I have said on this board previously, you can stand on your head for 24 months if you have to. Do NOT be bullied by anyone.

Sadly, today, peer recognition is often lacking. Not sure why, but you now have a great idea of how you are valued by the company and your superiors. Again, no reason for tears or hard feelings. Make a plan and attack. In some cases, you will get the, "Oh, we did not know that you felt that way-- what can we do to fix it?" The answer is "Nothing, I am Out of Here-- see ya!" Get your stuff all out of the office before this conversation, but prepared to hit the bricks about 20 minutes after the chat. Don't go without having a new home to go to-- it is always easier to find a job when you have a job.

This is 2015-- make something happen today! You will not regret it.

• Like 3

DO NOT let the boys bully you regarding the PE and no raise. There is NO LOYALITY to the employee, irrespective of what the code of values says in the foyer of the main office.

It does no good to sit and bitch-- move out and make something happen. Now, if you have not kept your resume up to date and current, this weekend is a great time to put in the time to do so-- get a good resume, crisp and polished and then start to make something happen.

We worked with a client who stayed at his firm, a major public engineering firm for 9 years. First job out of college, got married, had a couple of babies, passed the PE exam and then his butt was on the road all the time. He got the "It is only for 4 month" routine. 12 months later, he called us and we got him an awesome job near home, no travel. Guess what-- his wife produced another baby!! Never seen a happier dude!

When he began his search, he was real rusty on the whole job search and interview process. We spent a lot of time helping him get up to speed, and when he did, good things happened.

Bottom line-- if your boss does not value your PE, then it is time to find someone who will. No reason to be ugly or negative about it, after all, this is a business decision. There are a plethora of factors that one has to consider when making a move, be it across the street or across the country. Don't do anything in haste-- develop a measured, calculated plan and approach. Once your approach is defined, execute.

There are lots of jobs that need PE's. If you have to talk to an idiot, the only guy that wins is the idiot-- someone is talking to he/she.

Now, moving 1200 miles away has some challenges as well, however, as I have said on this board previously, you can stand on your head for 24 months if you have to. Do NOT be bullied by anyone.

Sadly, today, peer recognition is often lacking. Not sure why, but you now have a great idea of how you are valued by the company and your superiors. Again, no reason for tears or hard feelings. Make a plan and attack. In some cases, you will get the, "Oh, we did not know that you felt that way-- what can we do to fix it?" The answer is "Nothing, I am Out of Here-- see ya!" Get your stuff all out of the office before this conversation, but prepared to hit the bricks about 20 minutes after the chat. Don't go without having a new home to go to-- it is always easier to find a job when you have a job.

This is 2015-- make something happen today! You will not regret it.

That's some of the best advice I have ever heard. Recently a division manager asked me if I wanted to be a wwtp operator. Considering how they only make about half my current salary I replied with a sharp no. It was at that moment I realized why this man had never been promoted above his current position.

My resume needs polishing and I need to refine my interview skills. That's what I am going to be working on over the coming months. If anyone wants to critique my resume or offer pointers on how I can improve my interview skills send me a pm. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Others on here like Willsee & Ship Wreck &KnightFox have already changed jobs and are reaping the rewards.

Fixt.

I was under the false impression that I would get bumped up like my boss after passing the PE but I'm not part of the club.

And where in the world would you have gotten that impression if your responsibilities had not changed? :dunno:

• Like 1