What books to buy for PE CIVIL?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

civil_PE

Reaction score
I want to buy all needed/recommended books for PE Civil/Transportation exam.I have an older edition of following books:

• Practice Problems for the Civil Engineering PE Exam: A Companion to the Civil Engineering Reference Manual (CEPP14), 9th Edition
  • Civil PE Practice Examination (CEPE5), 4th Edition
  • Quick Reference for the Civil Engineering PE Exam (CEQR8),3rd Edition
Could any one please tell me that, are these books still usable for 2015 April exam or I sould buy new ones?

Where can I get used new edition?Which book is must have one?

Any help in this matter is appriciated.

I think they would be okay, just make sure you can cover the new Construction Questions that will be on the AM session since those books were published..

I used a CERM that was several several years out of print...

No I didn't say that, I was just saying I used an outdated CERM and survived, you will need to buy /acquire a lot of books for civil..the main thing is just working lots of problems (which don't change all that much through the years)

But keep in mind many of the Transpo standards have changed within the last few years. Notably the HCM 2000 --> 2010. And others.

I'm confused, do you have a CERM or not?

RG and Ptato are both correct. Like RG I also used an outdated CERM. Be sure to get as many NCEES practice problems as you can. Old and new. Amazon helps with the older versions. Make sure you look at and know the topics on the NCEES exam outline. I suggest you study that we'll too because that will help you decide which books are necessary to buy, especially for the pm session. Feel free to check out some of the other threads here. There are many blueprints of success from those who passed. Good luck.

Thank you NJ mike and RG.

Ptatohed, I Do not have any (old or recent) copy of CERM.

I have older editions of these books (i think these are 5 to 7 years old)

• Practice Problems for the Civil Engineering PE Exam: A Companion to the Civil Engineering Reference Manual (CEPP14), 9th Edition
  • Civil PE Practice Examination (CEPE5), 4th Edition
  • Quick Reference for the Civil Engineering PE Exam (CEQR8),3rd Edition
So is it recomended to buy new copies of these listed books too?

cPE,

I don't know of anyone who has taken the PE Exam without having a CERM. I'd recommend getting the latest if you choose to get one.

In my experience (and in reading about other's) PPI practice problems are usually too lengthy and not very exam-like. If you decide to work them anyway, and given that your book is old, I'd stick with only AM level problems. As NJ mentioned, check the NCEES exam outline for the AM topics. PPI is pretty bad about distinguishing AM level from PM level so pay attention. And like RG said, you'll need to supplement it with another source of construction AM questions.

I don't think you'll need the Quick Reference if you get the CERM. It gets poor reviews from what I have read. I did without.

Did you look at the sticky in this forum?

Good luck.

what PM section are you taking?

For me since I did transportation I did not use a lot of sections in the CERM, for example if there was an AASHTO Greenbook question I just pulled out that book (instead of using the CERM), if there was a Roadside Design Guide question I used that book instead of the CERM, etc, etc, etc.

I didn't really use the CERM that much on the exam, but I used it a lot to study..

what PM section are you taking?

For me since I did transportation I did not use a lot of sections in the CERM, for example if there was an AASHTO Greenbook question I just pulled out that book (instead of using the CERM), if there was a Roadside Design Guide question I used that book instead of the CERM, etc, etc, etc.

I didn't really use the CERM that much on the exam, but I used it a lot to study..

I thought she was taking Transpo Depth because of the subforum this is in and the first sentence of her first post, but maybe these questions were aimed at Transpo Breadth. I agree, you can get away with some Transpo PM using the CERM but, for the most part, the CERM is for the AM.

I am taking Transportation for PM.For books for PM I will follow the "sticky" in this forum.I will try to get these books if I get it from someone otherwise i have to Buy it.

I have to add....if you have a few extra bucks laying around, Principles of Highway Engineering and Traffic Analysis, 5E by Mannering and Washburn is really good. It uses all the current design standards. There are no solutions to the end of chapter problems, and I got into an argument with the authors regarding this, but other than that it is a really great text.

If you do get this text let me know. I'm on a mission to solve every problem and develop an answer key for future test takers.

Back