Satellite radio

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
Did anyone buy (or know someone that did) the lifetime Sirius subscription back when they offered it?

Was thinking about getting it again due to the commute, I don't see them offering it anymore, but I was curious if they maintained the lifetime subscription through the merger or if it went away? I almost got it back in early 2000's but I think I read that their definition of lifetime was 3 or 4 receivers? and I had gone through 3 receivers in a year (all bought / exchanged from Costco)

just curious...

Did anyone buy (or know someone that did) the lifetime Sirius subscription back when they offered it?

Was thinking about getting it again due to the commute, I don't see them offering it anymore, but I was curious if they maintained the lifetime subscription through the merger or if it went away? I almost got it back in early 2000's but I think I read that their definition of lifetime was 3 or 4 receivers? and I had gone through 3 receivers in a year (all bought / exchanged from Costco)

just curious...

I read on the internet that if you call them you can still get it, and since everything on the internet is true, it must still be around.

Haven't had satellite radio in years. I had a free 90day subscription back when I bought Bee, but I never kept it. No idea what they are offering other than the fact they keep sending me fliers trying to bring me back.

our rental car had it on our road trip and it reminded me how much I used to like it... it would also be nice to get some non homer sports talk radio once in a while also..

I may be driving to Greeley (hour plus each way) twice or more a week for work so it would be nice to have again.. eat into the work per diem a little to cover the cost..

I've only just done trial subscriptions as well.

But I thought satellite was pretty much kicked to the curb with everything having the ability to be streamed online. If I want to listen something, I just find the stream online and play it over BlueTooth in my car. Most radio streams that I've come across are basically free.

our rental car had it on our road trip and it reminded me how much I used to like it... it would also be nice to get some non homer sports talk radio once in a while also..

I may be driving to Greeley (hour plus each way) twice or more a week for work so it would be nice to have again.. eat into the work per diem a little to cover the cost..
What sports talk radio to do you like?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mrs Dex uses the Spotify app on her phone a lot. She has the option to listen to either the music she has saved or open it up to allow "similar" music to be played in addition. Really helpful on the 2-hour drives out to see her parents.

What I recall I liked about Sirius when I had it was you could get tons of college football talk and more NFL talk. Here I have to listen to 4 hours of "Coming up next, We spotted Wes Welker at the grocery store, here is what is in his cart today! looks like its strawberry pop tarts for the kids this week!"

Also it would be nice for driving through the mountains on the weekends, where you don't have much FM reception.. Plus they play all the pro and college games broadcasts...

but I would only get it if I am getting the fatty work remotely per diem for a few years to aid in covering it...

I just paid to renew mine. My car doesn't have aux input or bluetooth, and I am in the car for at a minimum 10 hours a week, so its my only source of sanity. If I sell this car though, I do not plan on renewing for the next go-around. It is nice to be able to stream the college football games if traveling. I need to buy another adapter so I can put it out in the garage, too.

I had it for a year or two.

Then, I decided that I should just use the subscription money to donate to MPR since I listen to them more.

Had it for a while but no more. It was okay, but it got kind of annoying when the number of commercials started increasing. The only nice thing was having the radio stations everywhere you went, i.e. no scanning for new stations on trips.

Cincinnati's got some really good radio stations so I don't miss it. Once Pioneer or Alpine come out with their radios with Apple Carplay I'd like to get one of those which'll allow IHeartRadio/Pandora/iTunes/etc through the radio.

Their music stations are also on anywhere from a 2 to 4 hour loop. Some stations won't change their lineup for a week.

Sirius had a class action lawsuit a few years back and it happened I called them 10+ times during the time period in question for the lawsuit. The result was I got a check which bought me 7 years of service on my truck and still had $500+ left over. I didn't get Sirius subscription on my daily driver though.

My old college roommate got the lifetime when he bought his WRX over 10 years ago, I listen to Sirius online at work everyday with his password because he doesn't use it anymore.

Back