Engineer Boards
​ ​
George Washington Engineering Online Master's Programs
knight1fox3

Home Improvement/Repair Questions

On 6/13/2018 at 10:21 AM, Supe said:

Assuming you're roughly 6', that looks about right for an HD rental.

I may just say f-it and go buy one of those Werner ladders.  21' with extensions (the Little Giant type) for $120 at lowes, and the split height adjustment would let me use it ont he stairs where I need to fix drywall waves and pops.

After using one of those, I don't see how I ever got along without it.  Handier than a pocket on a shirt.

On 6/14/2018 at 3:37 PM, Audi driver, P.E. said:

They go to 15 feet, IIRC. How tall is your foyer?

It appears to be 20', but I need to double check.  It's definitely no less than 18.

What a clusterf*ck Saturday was.  Ever since our trees were removed and the HOA STILL hasn't given me my approval to replant trees, the front of the house looks like absolute shit.  Front yard is all torn up from the stump grinder tracing the roots, and with all the new sunlight, weeds, clover, etc. took off like crazy.  I had finally had enough and committed to at least making the mailbox area and planter beds by the house look less shitty.  Unfortunately, I picked a 95° day in NC to do it.

I was f*cking DYING.  I could not keep enough gatorade/water/cooling towels handy.  Only cost around $200 for everything, but ended up digging a hole, transplanting a gardenia, digging up a shit ton of crab grass, dumping about 10 bags of mulch, 3 bags of dirt, and planting a buttload of annuals in a new barrel-looking planter, and then planting new flowers in three of our old pots. 

It damn near killed me and took all day, but even with the shitty lawn, it looks 10,000x better.  

• Like 1
  • fudgey 1

On the plus side, my coworker has one of those 21' multi-use ladders from Werner (like the ones Little Giant sells) he said I can borrow.  I may just give it a shot and see how stable it feels.  If its not too bad, I can fix the f*cking doorbell while I'm up there instead of hiring an electrician (someone pushed the doorbell button in so far it cracked and got stuck, so the circuit was closed all day and fried the chime unit.  Was buzzing when I disconnected it, so transformer is probably OK.)

7 hours ago, Supe said:

It damn near killed me and took all day, but even with the shitty lawn, it looks 10,000x better.  

Well what was Mrs. Supe doing the whole time?! ;)

7 hours ago, Supe said:

On the plus side, my coworker has one of those 21' multi-use ladders from Werner (like the ones Little Giant sells) he said I can borrow.  I may just give it a shot and see how stable it feels.  If its not too bad, I can fix the f*cking doorbell while I'm up there instead of hiring an electrician (someone pushed the doorbell button in so far it cracked and got stuck, so the circuit was closed all day and fried the chime unit.  Was buzzing when I disconnected it, so transformer is probably OK.)

Eh, get the Nest Hello instead as a replacement. :thumbs:

44 minutes ago, knight1fox3 said:

Well what was Mrs. Supe doing the whole time?! ;)

She helped later in the day.  Of course, she also helped the side closest to the house, which was in the shade...

45 minutes ago, knight1fox3 said:

Eh, get the Nest Hello instead as a replacement. :thumbs:

I've been looking at several of the Nest/Ring-esque options for home security, but the doorbell is one I'm screwed on.  The trim around the door is very narrow, so one of those would only work if mounted to the brick, which would in turn mean cutting out a chunk of interior wall to be able to reroute the lines through the brick veneer.  No thanks.

I haven't looked at the ring but thought those were wireless?

2 minutes ago, Supe said:

I've been looking at several of the Nest/Ring-esque options for home security, but the doorbell is one I'm screwed on.  The trim around the door is very narrow, so one of those would only work if mounted to the brick, which would in turn mean cutting out a chunk of interior wall to be able to reroute the lines through the brick veneer.  No thanks.

But the Hello specifically has a narrow design footprint and also comes with an angle bracket for extra narrow installations. I was skeptical as well for my installation for some of the reasons you mentioned. But it worked out nicely. May want to double-check all the measurements & dimensions.

Just now, Road Guy said:

I haven't looked at the ring but thought those were wireless?

Negative. And I wouldn't want something that ran on batteries either, especially in winter. It uses the same low voltage infrastructure as most existing doorbell systems. 

11 minutes ago, knight1fox3 said:

But the Hello specifically has a narrow design footprint and also comes with an angle bracket for extra narrow installations. I was skeptical as well for my installation for some of the reasons you mentioned. But it worked out nicely. May want to double-check all the measurements & dimensions.

I'll need to check.  I didn't know they came out with slimline versions like the Ring Pro.  This looks like it would be very close to my setup:

download.jpg

we just don't answer the door ;) I mean this isn't 1980 when people used to come visit randomly..

4 minutes ago, Road Guy said:

we just don't answer the door ;) I mean this isn't 1980 when people used to come visit randomly..

I just want to use it to evaluate when I should answer the door naked/dressed up like a devil, as opposed to knowing when the neighborhood kids just want to invite my daughter over to swim.

Also for calling bullshit on the Amazon Prime 1-day assholes who never deliver packages but say they did.

• Haha 1

You're saying you don't just always answer the door naked?  It explains the Amazon Prime thing, for sure.

11 hours ago, Audi driver, P.E. said:

You're saying you don't just always answer the door naked?  It explains the Amazon Prime thing, for sure.

Unfortunately, Megan's Law dictates some discretion when it comes to naked door answering.

4 hours ago, Supe said:

Unfortunately, Megan's Law dictates some discretion when it comes to naked door answering.

This Megan person sounds like a real downer.

• Like 1

We broke down and got a window A/C last night.  House has central air, but being 2-stories, the 2nd floor always feels hot.  Went in our bedroom, but we got an 8,000 btu so it has enough oomph to help cool more of the upstairs since our door is almost always open.

Did have to do a little DIY.  The side window in our bedroom is normal width (~30") but short.  Raising the lower sash, the opening is only 10".  Take the lower out all together and it's almost 14".  Since you're supposed to lower the window to hold the A/C in, I threw together a small wood beam to span the window.  We have vinyl windows and I also didn't like the full weight of the A/C resting on the one vinyl ridge along the window sill so I cut down another piece of wood to fit on the flat of the sill so the A/C has something solid to sit on.

Wife called this morning, water dripping from the ceiling.  Condensate pan in the attic was overflowing, and the float switch is apparently bad since it didn't kick off the unit.  FML...

• fudgey 1

let it run for at least a day so you can maximize $$ out of the insurance claim!

If we nip it now, I can probably get away with just some paint touch-up around the smoke alarm.  I'm in no mood to pay out a $1000 deductible and another hike in homeowner's insurance!

ac unit in the attic just sounds crazy to me.  they drip water and when they go, they go badly.  utility room on the lowest level preferably with floor drain present

1 minute ago, snickerd3 said:

ac unit in the attic just sounds crazy to me.  they drip water and when they go, they go badly.  utility room on the lowest level preferably with floor drain present

Two zones.  One unit is in the crawlspace under the house, the upstairs one is in the attic because there is no upstairs utility room/closet.  Because we have a garage bonus room, the ducting would be a PITA if it were anywhere else because of the fire break.

we had a toilet explode above our kitchen and also caught it early, but afterwards I was like, Fuck- I could have had a new kitchen!

This is the third ceiling leak I've had now.  One from junior completely flooding our bathroom (which resulted in a new kitchen ceiling, kitchen light fixtures, bathroom shower and floor), another from junior partially flooding her bathroom (showered with curtain outside the tub) that resulted in paint damage to the crown molding and header in the kitchen, and now this one!  State Farm damn near dropped me after the first tub incident, because I had a hail damage claim for a new roof just prior.

well you do sound like a habitual offender ;)

We have state farm but have never had a house claim, but we had like softball size hail this week so maybe its time.

State Farm pissed me off on the first claim.  The hail damage happened AFTER my home inspection, but before I closed on the house.  State Farm didn't fight it with the other insurance company, so I got stuck eating it.  They claimed there was a second storm, even though it didn't reach that area, and therefore the time of damage was inconclusive.