Jump to content
Engineer Boards
knight1fox3

Home Improvement/Repair Questions

Recommended Posts

On 6/13/2018 at 10:21 AM, Supe said:

Assuming you're roughly 6', that looks about right for an HD rental.

I may just say f-it and go buy one of those Werner ladders.  21' with extensions (the Little Giant type) for $120 at lowes, and the split height adjustment would let me use it ont he stairs where I need to fix drywall waves and pops.

After using one of those, I don't see how I ever got along without it.  Handier than a pocket on a shirt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2018 at 3:37 PM, Audi driver, P.E. said:

They go to 15 feet, IIRC. How tall is your foyer?

It appears to be 20', but I need to double check.  It's definitely no less than 18.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a clusterf*ck Saturday was.  Ever since our trees were removed and the HOA STILL hasn't given me my approval to replant trees, the front of the house looks like absolute shit.  Front yard is all torn up from the stump grinder tracing the roots, and with all the new sunlight, weeds, clover, etc. took off like crazy.  I had finally had enough and committed to at least making the mailbox area and planter beds by the house look less shitty.  Unfortunately, I picked a 95° day in NC to do it.

I was f*cking DYING.  I could not keep enough gatorade/water/cooling towels handy.  Only cost around $200 for everything, but ended up digging a hole, transplanting a gardenia, digging up a shit ton of crab grass, dumping about 10 bags of mulch, 3 bags of dirt, and planting a buttload of annuals in a new barrel-looking planter, and then planting new flowers in three of our old pots. 

It damn near killed me and took all day, but even with the shitty lawn, it looks 10,000x better.  

  • Like 1
  • fudgey 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the plus side, my coworker has one of those 21' multi-use ladders from Werner (like the ones Little Giant sells) he said I can borrow.  I may just give it a shot and see how stable it feels.  If its not too bad, I can fix the f*cking doorbell while I'm up there instead of hiring an electrician (someone pushed the doorbell button in so far it cracked and got stuck, so the circuit was closed all day and fried the chime unit.  Was buzzing when I disconnected it, so transformer is probably OK.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Supe said:

It damn near killed me and took all day, but even with the shitty lawn, it looks 10,000x better.  

Well what was Mrs. Supe doing the whole time?! ;)

7 hours ago, Supe said:

On the plus side, my coworker has one of those 21' multi-use ladders from Werner (like the ones Little Giant sells) he said I can borrow.  I may just give it a shot and see how stable it feels.  If its not too bad, I can fix the f*cking doorbell while I'm up there instead of hiring an electrician (someone pushed the doorbell button in so far it cracked and got stuck, so the circuit was closed all day and fried the chime unit.  Was buzzing when I disconnected it, so transformer is probably OK.)

Eh, get the Nest Hello instead as a replacement. :thumbs:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, knight1fox3 said:

Well what was Mrs. Supe doing the whole time?! ;)

She helped later in the day.  Of course, she also helped the side closest to the house, which was in the shade...

45 minutes ago, knight1fox3 said:

Eh, get the Nest Hello instead as a replacement. :thumbs:

I've been looking at several of the Nest/Ring-esque options for home security, but the doorbell is one I'm screwed on.  The trim around the door is very narrow, so one of those would only work if mounted to the brick, which would in turn mean cutting out a chunk of interior wall to be able to reroute the lines through the brick veneer.  No thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't looked at the ring but thought those were wireless?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Supe said:

I've been looking at several of the Nest/Ring-esque options for home security, but the doorbell is one I'm screwed on.  The trim around the door is very narrow, so one of those would only work if mounted to the brick, which would in turn mean cutting out a chunk of interior wall to be able to reroute the lines through the brick veneer.  No thanks.

But the Hello specifically has a narrow design footprint and also comes with an angle bracket for extra narrow installations. I was skeptical as well for my installation for some of the reasons you mentioned. But it worked out nicely. May want to double-check all the measurements & dimensions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Road Guy said:

I haven't looked at the ring but thought those were wireless?

Negative. And I wouldn't want something that ran on batteries either, especially in winter. It uses the same low voltage infrastructure as most existing doorbell systems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, knight1fox3 said:

But the Hello specifically has a narrow design footprint and also comes with an angle bracket for extra narrow installations. I was skeptical as well for my installation for some of the reasons you mentioned. But it worked out nicely. May want to double-check all the measurements & dimensions.

I'll need to check.  I didn't know they came out with slimline versions like the Ring Pro.  This looks like it would be very close to my setup:

download.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we just don't answer the door ;) I mean this isn't 1980 when people used to come visit randomly..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Road Guy said:

we just don't answer the door ;) I mean this isn't 1980 when people used to come visit randomly..

I just want to use it to evaluate when I should answer the door naked/dressed up like a devil, as opposed to knowing when the neighborhood kids just want to invite my daughter over to swim.

Also for calling bullshit on the Amazon Prime 1-day assholes who never deliver packages but say they did.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're saying you don't just always answer the door naked?  It explains the Amazon Prime thing, for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×