How did you do?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidPE

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to think. I didn't bomb it, but I don't feel like I nailed it either. It could probably go either way.

I was really happy that I made it through both parts with time to spare (40 minutes AM, and almost an hour PM), and I only made pure guesses on 3-4 questions each time. That alone is a huge improvement over the practice exam. I spent the extra time checking my work, and I did find three mistakes (including one where I marked the wrong answer on the scantron.) That's great, but it's also a little disconcerting. Also disconcerting is the number of questions (qualitative and quantatative) I had never seen before. I was able to come up with answers that matched one of the choices on most of them, but we all know that doesn't mean anything.

Either way, I'm glad it's over. With not studying this weekend, I had so much free time I didn't know what to do with myself. My kids were really happy, and it was great to play with them all day long Saturday and Sunday.

I'm going to write up something for the advice thread while it's still fresh, and hopefully I'll pass so I can post it. I hope everyone else did well!

It sounds like you probably did well! Good luck!

Just a friendly reminder to everyone: NCEES monitors these forums. Please remember your agreement and do not disclose exam content. (the post above is a good example of a post that does not risk anything)

I had a hard time with the morning. In my opinion it contained both types of questions that I had never seen before in practice exams or in my previous attempt. I finished in time, but barely, and I had to give educated guesses on a number of the problems. After the morning I thought I'd be back again in the Fall.

The afternoon was a different story though, I felt like I nailed it.

So, overall I'm holding out hopeful with the feeling that the afternoon went so well.

And yes, so nice to spend time with the family again and not feel the guilt that I should be studying!

My sentiments are exactly like David and qtip. I finished in the nick of time. If I had an extra hour; it would have probably been worth 1 extra point.

I felt like my references were pretty decent. If i could have found an air sampling reference I might have gotten 1-2 extra points.

Afternoon was much better than the AM. Only one question was like the 2011 NCEES practice exam, and I didn't see ANY problems like LaGrega or Metcalf & Eddy.

So just studying/tabbing example problems and hoping to find them during the exam WON"T WORK. You will really need to understand the concepts. There aren't enough "plug and chug" problems to pass the exam. You have to figure things out.

So how did I do? Could go either way. I guess I'll know in 8 short weeks. If the passing score is close to a 60%, then I think I passed. If it's 70%, then I kinda doubt that I passed.

FWIW.

Do they ever have passing scores close to 60%? I didn't think they published the cut/passing scores.

I would have to agree for the most part with all the previous posts.

The morning was much much more difficult to me. The morning session def had me grasping at concepts rather than finding answers in my references. I was kind of disappointed at the number break up of problems. I felt there was a surplus of drinking water concepts. Course I didn't have a dedicated drinking water ref so that could be why. The afternoon was much easier and felt as if I owned that part. So I'm like others where it's a 50/50. Course who knows!!?!?

I also feel as though the official NCEES practice problems were next to useless as far as question types and break up. The test didn't resemble it at all!

Without revealing questions either, I feel certain RCRA orientated questions on the exam could statutorily have had multiple correct answers. So much as though I might write in and express this to them. The way the question was presented too wasn't a "choose the best" answer type, more of a definitive one is correct. Oh well, let’s hope we all passed.

Suryan - I took the test in Fall '12 after what I considered a lot of studying. When I found out that I didn't pass I decided to try a different approach, so I took the School of PE Environmental course. I'll let you know in 8-10 weeks if I think it's 'useful'.

Do they ever have passing scores close to 60%? I didn't think they published the cut/passing scores.

You're right, they don't publish passing scores. So many people take the civil exam and post their diagnostics that they can generally figure theirs out, but I've only heard the failing score of one Env person, which was a 64. I would guess that's pretty darn close to the cutoff. I probably got between 65 and 75 - I walked out of the exam thinking I had managed 70/100, at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, I'm new here - took the exam for the 2nd time last week, first time I took it was April 2012. I took the online School of PE classes, and found them much more useful the second time around because I took the weeknight classes as opposed to the weekend classes, which I took the first go-round. Of course, one of the reasons I elected to go with School of PE was that they offered free repeat classes if you fail the test - obviously I needed that service! That said, I spent a heck of a lot more time preparing for this test than I did last year, but, like others have said on here, the morning session kicked my butt. I felt better about the afternoon, but don't think it was enough to carry me to a passing score based on my assumed poor performance in the AM. There were questions on there unlike any I had encountered in all my test prep - which included going through NCEES sample tests from 2011, 2004, and 1999 PLUS going through all of the problems provided by School of PE several times.

My thougths on School of PE - they do a pretty good review course - but I don't LOVE the way they organize the material they give you - they seem to have water and wastewater down, but their air/haz waste and water resources sections get a bit mixed up - as in two instructors will cover the same sub topics under two different overall topics - which makes back-checking references kind of a pain in the butt.

Anyway, I *hope* my thoughts about how I did this time around are incorrect, but I'm not so sure. If I don't pass, I think I'm going to skip further review courses and use all my time to just going through problems. As many as I can get my hands on. Fingers crossed that all on here did well!

I felt the same about the exam as everyone else.

AM was more difficult, than PM.

my passing could go either way...just hope i get that extra few questions that I didnt get last go around.

If i dont pass this time, I'll be changing to Civil/Water Resources exam... makes no sense why they make the Environmental Exam so much harder than the Civil.

I don't know if it I would label it harder there is just more stuff to know that you might not be used to seeing because it covers a broader spectrum of stuff

So just studying/tabbing example problems and hoping to find them during the exam WON"T WORK. You will really need to understand the concepts. There aren't enough "plug and chug" problems to pass the exam. You have to figure things out.

This has been mentioned several times in this forum. You are unlikely to pass using a strategy that relies on finding similar problems in your references. You MUST concentrate on the basic concepts! That will ensure you are able to handle almost any question they will throw at you. As you work through the sample exams and review books, ALWAYS be asking yourself "what's the underlying concept here?" There really aren't that many - ideal gas law, kinetics, the basic laws of hydraulics (Bernoulli's, Manning's, etc). And then just make sure you have a good library, and are familiar enough with it that you know which book to pull out and thumb through the index to answer the odd-ball qualitative stuff.

Without revealing questions either, I feel certain RCRA orientated questions on the exam could statutorily have had multiple correct answers. So much as though I might write in and express this to them. The way the question was presented too wasn't a "choose the best" answer type, more of a definitive one is correct. Oh well, let’s hope we all passed.

I recommend you submit your comment through NCEES. I did this after the fall 2006 exam, for one problem I thought required specific geographical knowledge to answer. I have no idea if they agreed with me, but it made me feel better! Plus, they'll never know there was a problem unless someone tells them.

Hi all, I'm new here - took the exam for the 2nd time last week, first time I took it was April 2012. I took the online School of PE classes, and found them much more useful the second time around b........ Fingers crossed that all on here did well!

Are you, by chance, related to a stormwater modeler in Florida?

Folks who just took the exam: While it is still fresh, pay it forward by giving your advice in the "Consolidated Advice Thread" pinned near the top of this forum.

As always, be mindful of your agreements. Try to use the format everyone else has. Future test takers will thank you!

Hi all, I'm new here - took the exam for the 2nd time last week, first time I took it was April 2012. I took the online School of PE classes, and found them much more useful the second time around b........ Fingers crossed that all on here did well!

No, sorry, think you have the wrong person. I'm glad you mentioned that anyone who had issues should report their specific question concerns on the NCEES website - we have up to 10 days after the exam to do so - the window of opportunity is shrinking - but - like you said Veteran- even if they don't use your comment, you'll at least feel better about putting your concerns out there.

No, sorry, think you have the wrong person. I'm glad you mentioned that anyone who had issues should report their specific question concerns on the NCEES website - we have up to 10 days after the exam to do so - the window of opportunity is shrinking - but - like you said Veteran Dleg- even if they don't use your comment, you'll at least feel better about putting your concerns out there.
*Good point, Dleg, not Veteran. Oops. Those are the types of silly mistakes I'm sure I made on the exam!

I feel the same way you guys did. I felt like the morning was a crapshoot. I don't feel like I definitely bombed it, but I could have. I actually used all my time in the morning and guessed on two questions that I ran out of time for. In the afternoon, I felt much better and finished with 1.5 hours left. I did stay and used the 1.5 hours to go back over my questions (and found a few mistakes to correct). I've really been enjoying not studying, so I'm really hoping that I passed!

IL results in

Congrats to all that passed!

Passed, second try (first time I didn't study at all, and this time I wasn't confident but thanks to all that helped)

Now I can tell you how I did . . . . . I PASSED!!

Due in large part to all the advice here. I see that the pass rates are posted on the NCEES website. Environmental pass rate was only 55%. So a big kudos to those that passed!

Mark Easter, PE

Back