Winterplace,WV

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
We're taking the fam to winter place presidents weekends in February... We've never really ski'd on anything but fake snow and ice at Maggie valley, NC.. I'm told this is a good "next step". Place to take the family....

1. Anyone else gonna be there that weekend?

2. We're moped to recommendations on places to stay? Can't decide between renting a small house/cabin or staying at a hotel close by.. With 3 kids, 2 of them teenagers it just isn't a whole lotta fun staying at even a suite type hotel these days...

3. Anyone got any other recommendations?

I spent last weekend working with my wife and younger 2 kids to ski after they did a 2 hour group lesson (kind of a waste) but anyone with young kids this is an awesome family activity! Last year was my first time ever and I felt like slapping my parents for never having taken me, of course they played the, we were poor card ;)

My 9 year old wouldn't listen to much so he went straight to the greens with a friend of his, I think his method of skiing was anytime he felt he was going to fast he would fall down and then start over.. I do have to say he seemed to be having the most fun of anyone.. I actually had to pull him out of the black diamond line.. I don't know what his plan was going to be for that one! But I'm gone out him back in the ski school for half a day ad hope he listens this time...

Thanks in advance!

It sounds like a great vacation youre planning!

A semi-private lesson for just your family is alot of fun. it's probably not much more than buying group lessons and you have the shared experience plus everyone gains something.

They have night tubing there which should be a hoot.

We have had good luck booking condos thru VRBO at ski resorts, it;s nice to have the extra space and things like a fireplace or hot tub.

I'm not sure about Winterplace but there is usually a sleigh ride dinner type of outing near the resorts that you all might enjoy too. Some hokey jokes and fiddle music then a big pile of food, it really is alot of fun. you might look for brochures when you get there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome. . .when should I start looking for jobs for you up here so you can be closer to the snow?

I know absolutely Nothing about Winterplace, wish I could suggest, but am not familiar. I think it's down there near Tamarack, but not sure.

If you ever get a chance, one of the coolest places on the East Coast is Snowshoe Mountain. Think about it sometime, wouldn't be much further of a drive, I go down there at least once a year for one reason or another. Love it there.

Since this is our 3rd time skiing we were kind of advised to do Winterplace this year and then next time when we can all ski the blues and some black diamonds to do snowshoe. It's a little pricier for a family compared to Winterplace of 5 but it looks totally awesome!

We got stuck staying in a micro-tel in Princeton,WV.. We sort of waited too long and there wasn't much left but I'm still stoked about going!

Just remember: Any day on skis is a good day. Almost always beats working. I would say always, but skiing requires fatty money and that requires working. Have a great trip. If you decide to come to Colorado, come on up to Breckenridge. We need snow desperately but even at the current base depth we're still having a good time out there on the hill.

Yes 2 days, family of 5 is gonna be $508.00

But it's been nice sort if gives yah something to look forward to in winter time...

It was great, we stayed in Princeton, I liked it. I'm so sick of living in civilization... All the hotels were overbooked, so it was a little crazy, there was a couple of people offering folks in the lobby to pay double or more for hotel rooms.. Hotel ran out of towels, glad we spent most of the time skiing, took advantage of night skiing. Just to avoid the crowds at the hotel.. Next time, now that all the kids are up to speed skiing, well spend more money and avoid the hotel running back and forth..

It was my first time to WV.. I didn't get a chance to set any couches on fire but I could defin live there. Ill take rednecks over atlanta carpet bangers any day of the week...

Maybe next years EB.com conference could be at snow shoe? They have a group rate?

A meetup at Snow Shoe would give me a reason to make another trip back there. I haven't been back home in a while.

I've been to many conferences at snowshoe. The place is awesome.

next time, get your family a 3 bedroom condo at the Highland House, and you will be very pleased.

Ski lift about 30 yards from the door of the place.

Back