Engineer Boards

​ ​ ​
Guest Mahendra

CONSOLIDATED ADVICE THREAD: Env PE Exam

On 12/30/2017 at 2:50 PM, Dleg said:

I think you get the edit ability after you surpass a certain number of posts

Yup, I just got the edit ability. 

• Like 1

LOL. I think I got it after 250 posts?  But that was a long time ago - Board rules may have changed.

Thanks @radash33 for the up to date exam advice!  Very interesting, especially for your comments on the usefulness/uselessness of the new NCEES Enviro PE Reference Manual. I wonder what will happen when the test goes fully CBT and that's all you are allowed to have....

Congratulations from another PE who did not use study courses to pass! 

I have a question for everyone who has taken some kind of review course and brought their notes to the exam!

how did you organize your class notes for the exam? I'm in PPI right now and theere are soooo many handouts/slides, and while they're useful, I'm trying to figure out how to best organize them. At first I was thinking a binder for each subject would be overkill but now I'm thinking maybe not? Thinking a binder for all water (that will be a big one), another for air, combining EH&S and site remediation, + one misc... is that crazy? anyone else have a good method? 

"I still wonder how some of these trivia questions are to be answered accurately without reading every reference completely and having a photographic memory."

I agree.  I'm doing the NCEES practice exam and some of the word questions are just so far out it's insane.  Did you know that alfalfa and clover are legumes, and therefore should never receive nitrogen under nitrogen loading conditions?  What am I, a farmer or an engineer?

• Haha 1

On 9/11/2018 at 7:41 AM, vee043324 said:

I have a question for everyone who has taken some kind of review course and brought their notes to the exam!

how did you organize your class notes for the exam? I'm in PPI right now and theere are soooo many handouts/slides, and while they're useful, I'm trying to figure out how to best organize them. At first I was thinking a binder for each subject would be overkill but now I'm thinking maybe not? Thinking a binder for all water (that will be a big one), another for air, combining EH&S and site remediation, + one misc... is that crazy? anyone else have a good method? 

I did SoPE, I'm taking my notes arranged by class, i.e. Remediation, Waste water, Water Treatment, Air/Solid Waste, and PM (although I'm not doing the PM review, ran out of time and there will likely only be 2-3 questions max on the exam I'm thinking, so I'll take my chances on being able to find the answer in EERM or the notes).

Really I think whatever is most familiar for you and will allow you to find what you need to find the quickest.  If I started re-arranging things now I'd probably just confuse myself even more.  Keep it simple.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hockey Eng said:

"I still wonder how some of these trivia questions are to be answered accurately without reading every reference completely and having a photographic memory."

I agree.  I'm doing the NCEES practice exam and some of the word questions are just so far out it's insane.  Did you know that alfalfa and clover are legumes, and therefore should never receive nitrogen under nitrogen loading conditions?  What am I, a farmer or an engineer?

Oh god, I shouldn't have gotten so excited about that clover question.  As some who lives in farming country/grew up listening to crop cycles and other gardeners I was like, "Clover!  That's a cover crop/rejuvenating crop!  That adds nitrogen!"  I think some of these questions are definitely put on the exam just to throw you off your groove!

• Haha 2

On 9/11/2018 at 9:41 AM, vee043324 said:

I put all of my photocopied fully-worked example problems in a binder.  This was the most useful tool that I had...

If you've ever worked with groundwater resources or constructed wetland design,  you might have known the alfalfa question,  maybe even more so if the term legume was used in the question.  😁 

Of course I never posted the actual question...;) (wasn't related to groundwater resources or wetland construction - neither term used in the question).

On 10/10/2018 at 7:08 PM, Hockey Eng said:

Spotted, while flipping through Davis and Cornwell..

8B4855D3-3C87-439B-8B1D-5C7ADB8112F5.jpeg

LOL OK everyone calm down ;) it was a sludge question (#138 of the NCEES Practice Exam AM if you really wanna look it up).

• Haha 1

I took the Environmental PE in April 2018, nearly 40 years after graduating college. I studied for three months, about 200 hours total.  I brought in Lindeburg’s PE reference manual and two outdated college textbooks (Wark & Warner; Metcalfe & Eddy). 

I did not take a review course  

I passed on my first attempt.

A few months later, I sat for and passed the FE Environmental after studying around 250 hours on my own.

The FE was a breeze - even 40 years out of school.  The PE AM session was extremely difficult.  The PE PM session was fairly easy.

I didn’t need the library of books that some here brought in with them.  Frankly, I don’t own many books.

I took both exams with medical conditions that limited my ability to sit. 

I prayed and had Christian friends and my wife cover me in prayer during both exams.  Normally sitting for an 8 hour test would have been extremely difficult and painful, but I barely felt any pain and did not take pain meds.

I was stunned at how easy the FE was.  The PE afternoon portion was also easy. 

I’m going to take the CHMM exam and I think that will be harder than the PE.

My advice is to pace your studying and give yourself 2-3 months; bring in 3-4 books you are familiar with; get a lot of sleep the night before; and do not fret over it.

I passed it four decades after taking college classes, so recent grads should find the FE and PE a manageable challenge.

• Like 1