CONSOLIDATED ADVICE THREAD: Env PE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took the environmental exam for the first time in April and passed. I studied during the weekday evenings and on the weekends by doing the problems in the ENVRM problem book. I found the water and wastewater problems to be the easiest, but I work in the wastewater industry and I am currently pursuing my master's degree in environmental engineering, so that is probably why they were easy for me. I struggled with some of the air problems while studying for the exam. Thankfully the air problems on the exam were very similar to the problems presented by Lindeberg. Basically, I thought that any problem that required the use of a calculator on the exam was similar to the problems covered by Lindeberg. I feel that if you put your time into studying and do all the problems in the problem guide that accompanies the ENVRM, you will pass the exam. Good Luck to anyone considering taking this exam!! :multiplespotting:

I took the environmental exam for the first time in April and passed. I studied during the weekday evenings and on the weekends by doing the problems in the ENVRM problem book. I found the water and wastewater problems to be the easiest, but I work in the wastewater industry and I am currently pursuing my master's degree in environmental engineering, so that is probably why they were easy for me. I struggled with some of the air problems while studying for the exam. Thankfully the air problems on the exam were very similar to the problems presented by Lindeberg. Basically, I thought that any problem that required the use of a calculator on the exam was similar to the problems covered by Lindeberg. I feel that if you put your time into studying and do all the problems in the problem guide that accompanies the ENVRM, you will pass the exam. Good Luck to anyone considering taking this exam!! :multiplespotting:
I agree. Most of the numerical calculations on the April 2007 exam were similar in topic to the questions provided by Lindeberg. I also used all of the sample questions I could get my hands on. However, as for the not calculation questions, you just had to have the right references. I definitely recommend printing off the online references listed in Lindeberg. Definitely a huge help. Hopefully I will know shortly how helpful. Still awaiting the results in Maryland... :please:

I just took the Environmental PE exam for the first time in April 2007, and passed.

Here is what my studying consisted of:

I thoroughly went through Introduction to Environmental Engineering by Davis and Cornwell. (The link is for the 6th edition—I had the 5th). This consisted of reading the text and doing every example problem in the text with the solution covered up. I spent most of my time on the water and wastewater. I had less time to study for air and hazardous waste.

I then skimmed the ENVRM book, and tabbed the relevant sections. I printed out the index for the ENVRM book from the "the other board" website and put it into a little folder to "bind" it. This was extremely helpful and saved a lot of time.

For the exam, I brought in a copy of the following:

• Introduction to Environmental Engineering by Davis and Cornwell
  • Wastewater Engineering: Treatment, Disposal, Reuse by Metcalf & Eddy
  • Chemistry for Environmental Engineering by Sawyer & McCarty
  • Unit Operations and Processes in Environmental Engineering by Reynolds and Richards
  • Applied Hydrogeology, by Fetter
  • Hydrology by Watson and Burnett
  • Theory and Practice of Water and Wastewater Treatment by Droste
  • Water Supply and Sewerage by McGhee
  • Water Quality & Treatment by AWWA
  • Hydraulic Engineering by Roberson
  • 2004 Emergency Response Guidebook
  • NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards
  • Chemistry: Matter and Its Changes by Brady & Holum
I also brought in two identical TI-36X Solar calculators and a ruler. The ruler was taken from me before the exam. I ended up using my registration card for a straightedge.

I packed all of my books into two Staples paper boxes, and brought them in with a collapsible hand cart. All of my books were stacked spines up, so I could easily pick out any book I needed. Boxes were not allowed on the tables. I also brought in a water bottle and some Advil. I needed both in the afternoon. Also, while I used just about every book I brought in, I mostly relied on the ENVRM and the Davis and Cornwell book.

When I took the exam, I felt weakest on air and toxicology (no surprise—I have no background in these topics and didn’t spend nearly as much time as I should have studying them). The ENVRM treatment of these topics was pretty good, evidently enough to get me through the exam. On the other hand, the ENVRM treatment of hazardous waste was completely inadequate. I do have some background in this topic, but I didn’t have any references available to bring with me. If I had been required to take the exam again, I would have studied all of these topics more thoroughly, including obtaining some additional textbooks. I also would have brought in a statistics book.

All in all, though, I felt rather iffy about the exam. While most of the problems seemed pretty straightforward, I really felt like I hadn’t studied nearly enough. Plus, it’s been about 8-10 years since I had any coursework on this stuff. I fully expected to be taking the exam again, and had even started thinking about a study schedule to retake the exam next Spring. Even if I hadn’t passed, however, having seen the exam I was confident that I was capable of passing the exam if I’d put in more study time.

(This is pretty much par for the course for me, though. I’m a procrastinator, and put off studying until the week before the exam. I did take off the whole week from work, though, and got in about 50 hours of studying.)

This worked out for me for the FE exam, too. My whole study regimen consisted of just three full days of solid studying. I passed that the first time, too, which was pretty amazing, considering that I was 12 years out from my undergraduate graduation at the time. On the other hand, I’d been teaching college-level chemistry and physics for seven of those years, which helped tremendously.

bump - Time to pay your dues! Give your advice to future test takers here. Just be careful not to violate your agreement with NCEES. Feel free to use the following format for your comments (courtesy Freon), or not.

Test you took: PE Environmental Engineering
Where you took it:

What books you brought with you:

What books you actually used:

What books did you wish you brought:

General impression about exam and format:

Advice for future test takers:

All right all you April 2008 Environmental test-takers! Time to add to the body of knowledge here. Please keep in mind your NCEES agreement and do not post anything alluding to any of the questions on the exam. Keep it very general, please!

Here's a sample format you can follow to organize your advice:

Where you took it:

Test: PE Environmental

Where: Memphis, TN

Books: EERM, WW Engineering (Metcalf/Eddy), Hydrogeology (Fetter), RCRA Orientation Manual, CERCLA Orientation Manual, Binder of problems I had worked, North Carolina State notes

Books Used: EERM, NCSU Notes, Worked problems, RCRA Orientation Manual, WW Engr

Books I wish I had brought: no others really

Exam impression and format: very similar to sample NCEES exam, but there seemed to be more questions that did not involve calculations than the sample exam

Advice: Know the concepts, as well as how to work problems

Where you took it: Syracuse, NY

What books you brought with you: EERM, Unit Processes, Air Pollution Control, Engineering Hydrology (Ponce), Hydraulic Engineering (Roberson), Haz Waste Management, Intro to Env. Engineering, RCRA/CERCLA Orientation Manuals, Hazwoper Guidance Manual, NIOSH handbook, several practice exam/question books.

What books you actually used: EERM, Unit Processes, Air Pollution, Haz Waste Mgmt, RCRA/CERCLA Orientation Manuals, NCEES Practice Exam

What books did you wish you brought: The Metcalf/Eddy WWT Book - I had borrowed this book from a friend a few weeks before the exam, but decided that I wouldnt try to learn it before the exam. Unit Processes wasnt that helpful.

General impression about exam and format: Pretty challenging. After I went through the exam once answering the questions I found easy, i looked at my watch and found I spend an hour and a half and had answered only 10 questions. I went back to the beginning, quickened my pace, but read the problems a bit more carefully and found that I was able to work through nearly all the questions. Worked through to the end of the morning. Afternoon was much easier for me. Was about 2/3 through after 2 hours, so I slowed myself down for the harder questions, and again was able to work through and answer all the questions.

Advice for future test takers: Being able to pace yourself is critical. Also, I'm convinced you cant have too many references - you never know which one's will have a nugget of information that will answer a question. I had copied the index of all my references and bound them separately. Those i kept on the desk and was able to very quickly thumb through them when needed. I would recommend this strategy to everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, how about all you intrepid April 2009 test takers adding to this thread, for the benefit of future generations?

The general advice format, as started by Freon 2.5 years ago over on the ppi forum, is suggested as follows:

Where you took it:

Where you took it: Texas

What books you brought with you: ENVRM, NCEES Sample Test, PPI Sample Tests, Haz Waste Mgmt by LaGrega, Env Engineering by Salvato, Environmental Engineering Dictionary, Metcalf & Eddy, McCoy RCRA Unraveled

What books you actually used: pretty much all of the above - by far the 2 best (outside of ENVRM), were the NCEES Sample Test and the Environmental Engineering Dictionary (by Lee)

What books did you wish you brought: none other than the above

General impression about exam and format: like you will see pretty much all over this forum, the NCEES Sample exam was very similar to the format of the actual exam...in terms of getting a feel for the format, I suggest going through it at least once, if not twice

Advice for future test takers: definitely go check out the test site the week before the test...I did and so, I wasn't surprised by the room or the setup. Definitely bring your own lunch so you don't have to worry about going offsite or standing in line. I was able to relax in my car for at least a few minutes and eat. Know your references backwards and forwards (as much as possible). I found that I really didn't even have time to think - if I had to stop and think about where something might be or "ok, how do I work this problem?" it was valuable time lost (and I still ran out of time). And lastly, work problems, work problems, work problems. There will be qualitative info on the exam but for those either (1) you'll know it, (2) have worked it in your job, (3) be able to look it up in a reference or (4) have no clue and have to guess. Focus on the quantitative and work problems. The more problems you work ahead of time, and the more different types of problems / scenarios you make your brain think through, the better shot you have at the exam of not getting caught offguard. I still don't know if I passed the test, but I hope this info helps someone else out.

Where you took it: Virginia

ENVRM by Lindeburg

School of PE materials

Hazardous Waste Management by La Grega

Sources and Control of Air Pollution by Heinsohn/Kabel

Standard Handbook of Environmental Engineering by Corbitt

Environmental Engineering and Sanitation by Salvato

Wastewater Engineering by Metcalf & Eddy

RCRA Orientation Manual (EPA)

PPI and NCEES practice problems and tests

also, a few extra ones which I borrowed from my co-workers; I don't remember the full names but they were not terribly useful anyway.

What books you actually used: mainly the first 4 I listed

- Regulatory textbooks or guidance manuals (I left some in my office, thinking I'd never need them, ARGH!)

- Water resources texts focused on stormwater, hydrology, groundwater (incidentally, some topics which the ENVRM is weak in, in my opinion)

General impression about exam and format: I'm afraid to go into many more specifics without talking about the exam topical content... I knew there would be a lot of qualitative questions, but there were even more than I expected. Most portions were harder than I expected, but some questions seemed too easy, almost like plug and chug problems which required little to no foundational understanding of the actual problem. Over all, it was OK, but different than I expected, with some random and oddball questions.

--Studying: Make a study plan 4-5 months out and do your best to stick to it. Honestly, it's likely you will not stick to it perfectly, so at least you would have started 4 or more months early. I'd say try to factor in at least 150-200 hours of quality study time. (I got in about 60 hrs plus 60+ hours of instruction and felt like I needed like another solid few days of studying). Get grounded in the fundamentals and then practice lots of problems, which will help you learn where you are weak and might need to focus. If you can, take off of work at least 2 days (maybe the full week) before the exam to study and fill your mind with this stuff! Take a review class if you can. Get familiar with the references you plan to bring, but don't feel like you have to know them intimately - focus on having 1-4 main references you know well (some states will allow you to have only one book on the table at a time!).

--For the test day: Drive to the site ahead of time. Use a rolling suitcase or cart to carry all your items. Pack lunch and a few small snacks and drinks as well as "emergency items" like ibuprofen, lip balm, eyedrops. The day will go by fast but you might need a little sugary pick me up or something to clear up a headache. Make plans that weekend, that night, or shortly after the exam to treat yourself, whether it's vegging at home on the couch and watching 10 movies, going to the spa, or making your friends/family throw a party for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is excellent advice for all disciplines!

================

Join the MEPESTUDYGROUP at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/mepestudygroup/

[snipped]General impression about exam and format: I'm afraid to go into many more specifics without talking about the exam topical content... I knew there would be a lot of qualitative questions, but there were even more than I expected. Most portions were harder than I expected, but some questions seemed too easy, almost like plug and chug problems which required little to no foundational understanding of the actual problem. Over all, it was OK, but different than I expected, with some random and oddball questions.

--Studying: Make a study plan 4-5 months out and do your best to stick to it. Honestly, it's likely you will not stick to it perfectly, so at least you would have started 4 or more months early. I'd say try to factor in at least 150-200 hours of quality study time. (I got in about 60 hrs plus 60+ hours of instruction and felt like I needed like another solid few days of studying). Get grounded in the fundamentals and then practice lots of problems, which will help you learn where you are weak and might need to focus. If you can, take off of work at least 2 days (maybe the full week) before the exam to study and fill your mind with this stuff! Take a review class if you can. Get familiar with the references you plan to bring, but don't feel like you have to know them intimately - focus on having 1-4 main references you know well (some states will allow you to have only one book on the table at a time!).

--For the test day: Drive to the site ahead of time. Use a rolling suitcase or cart to carry all your items. Pack lunch and a few small snacks and drinks as well as "emergency items" like ibuprofen, lip balm, eyedrops. The day will go by fast but you might need a little sugary pick me up or something to clear up a headache. Make plans that weekend, that night, or shortly after the exam to treat yourself, whether it's vegging at home on the couch and watching 10 movies, going to the spa, or making your friends/family throw a party for you.

This is excellent advice for all disciplines!
Haha, thanks!

I wish I could give more specific advice, but I don't want the NCEES secret police coming after me.

Also, I didn't really start studying until mid February and I regret that I didn't buckle down and start in January. For this October's exam, if you start making a plan of attack now and do "light prep work" like reviewing these boards, and ordering your materials, perhaps you can space it out better. I'd recommend after having fun celebrating Independence Day or New Years' Eve, just START. Hopefully you'll hit a good stride, figure out where to focus, and maybe you'll even have time for taking a day off here and there.

I do have a coworker that bragged that he studied for like a week, maybe <13 hrs or so, and I just wanted to smack him. Sure that's possible, but that doesn't make me feel any better!

I guess I can also say that as you are mastering problems, don't forget you still need a solid knowledge of the fundamentals. There will be many qualitative questions testing your knowledge of things that will be difficult to look up in 5 minutes, you just have to know it.

Where you took it: PA

ENVRM by Lindeburg

School of PE materials

Hydraulics & Hydrology - Gupta

Hazardous Waste Management by La Grega

Managing Hazardous Materials by Leonard et. al

Standard Handbook of Environmental Engineering by Corbitt

NCEES practice test

What books you actually used: Everything listed above, but relied most heavily on LaGrega, Metcalf & Eddy

What books did you wish you brought: A better reference on air pollution control

General impression about exam and format: Format was most similar to the NCEES practice exam. For the April 2009 test, I thought the problems contained in the morning session took much longer to solve than the afternoon session.

Advice for future test takers: The breadth of the test is difficult. Work as many problems as you can and read up on as many subjects as you can. Know how to use your references and how to get a general sense of how to approach a variety of problems. Know how to work the core environmental engineering subjects inside and out. Chances are you'll see a few curveballs during the test that will make you approach the problem in a different manner than how you studied. I really don't think you can overprepare for this test. When taking the test, manage your time appropriately (don't get hung up on one particular problem).

bump

VTEnviro, Could you stick this to the top of the forum like the new Enviro members thread?

Where you took it: Orlando, FL (Orlando Convention Center was a pretty good test site except for the insanely narrow tables and the $11 for parking)

EERM

101 solved problems

NCEES Practice Exam

PPI practice exam

Environmental Law Handbook 20th ed

Hazardous Waste Management, Lagrega

Soil and Groundwater Remediation, Kuo

Air Pollution Control, Cooper

Water Resources Engineering, Linsley et al.

Wastewater Engineering, Metcalf & Eddy

Environmental Engineering PE Examination Guide & Handbook, King

Engineering Unit Conversions 4th ed, Lindeburg

Hazardous Waste Regulations, Wagner

Fundamentals of Industrial Ecology 4th ed, Plug

Contaminant Hydrogeology 2nd ed, Fetter

Hydrology and Floodplain Analysis 4th ed, Bedient

RCRA Orientation Manual, EPA

Surface Water Treatment Rule guidance, EPA

Wastewater Sampling Guide, EPA

Radon Gas Summary, EPA website

TR-55 Urban Hydrology for Small Watersheds, NRCS

OSHA information from OSHA website

**Disclaimer: I did not purchase all of the above books. I borrowed many from colleagues and from the library (it helps when your wife is a librarian with access to the catalogue of most academic libraries)

What books you actually used: Mostly used EERM, Lagrega, Kuo, EERM, M&E, King and Cooper. The radon EPA summary was also useful for one question.

What books did you wish you brought: Environmental Engineering, Salvato. The only book my wife couldn't get me in time. The libraries she was trying to get it from kept cancelling it, I'm guessing other people were trying to check it out for the exam. Also, I wish I had an air sampling reference. Cooper was definitely not sufficient in that subject.

General impression about exam and format: I thought the test was pretty balanced. No real "depth" on any one subject, mostly superficial plug and chug or quick answer reasoning questions. There weren't too many "out there" questions, although there were some surprises. Good thing was that I was able to reason the surprise questions or atleast make educated guesses. I'd say I knew how to solve/answer ~70 questions, another 25 I made educated guesses, and 5 that I had no idea. Hopefully it'll add up to a pass, I sure as hell don't want to sit through this exam again.

Advice for future test takers: Study starting at least 3 months before. I started studying 6 months before but my bachelors is not in Environmental Engineering (It's in Agricultural and Biological Engineering) so I had to learn lots of subjects from scratch. I do have a masters in Environmental Engineering but it focused on Water Resources.

Solving problems is important, but so is having the right references and being very familiar with them. Use the library if you need to, you'd be surprised how willing librarians are to help and get you the important references (specially if you're married to them).

Do not try to use the EERM alone, you will likely not pass. Do not neglect any subject. Also, I did the University of Delaware DVD course, but it was not all that helpful, with the exception of Air Pollution. They follow the EERM too closely and waste too much time on fluids, Thermo, HVAC. They do an OK job on water and wastewater but are definitely not experts. They do not even scratch the surface of soil and groundwater remediation or Environmental Health and Safety.

Thanks for posting! When I took the exam for the third time and passed (October '08), I threw a couple of extra references into my box, just on a whim. I was glad that I did, because I was able to answer some of the ones I had NO CLUE on with some of those references. Good luck!

Where you took it: MN

ENVRM by Lindeburg

Environmental Engineering Solved Problems, Lindeberg

Environmental Engineering Practice PE Exams, Lindeberg

Environmental Engineering Practice Problems, Lindeberg

NCEES practice test

Water Supply and Pollution Control by Viessman & Hammer

NC State DVD Course (printed slides and hand notes with me)

What books you actually used: Everything listed above, but relied most heavily on ENVRM and NC State slides

What books did you wish you brought: A good reference on hydrogeology and groundwater contaminant transport, and possibly some type of general water resources reference.

General impression about exam and format: Format was most similar to the NCEES practice exam, but problems are generally easier. Topics were very broad. Quantitative questions were generally straightforward given the right equation - 1 or 2 steps at most. Several qualitative questions were nowhere to be found in my references, mostly in the area of water resources.

What I did to prepare: I spent about 8 weeks of evening & weekends studying as much as I could - about 2 weeks for each of water & wastewater, about 1 week each for the other major topics (air, waste, public health), and 1 final week staying home from work doing practice problems/exams. I gathered all of my references before starting to study so I could determine how adequate my references were. The studying I did was (1) view NC State course, (2) worked all of the problems from the "Solved Problems" reference, and (3) complete all practice exams during that last week. I'm estimating that I spent ~100 hours preparing. That seemed about right for me, if not overkill - the problems I likely missed were qualitative questions that simply weren't in my references.

Advice for future test takers: My degree is in chemical engineering, and I do environmental consulting - primarily air quality and water quality permitting, with general knowledge of other topics (waste, public health). In my work I probably only encounter about 10% of the subject material covered by the exam, if that. So for me, the breadth of the test was difficult. Biggest key to success, in my opinion, is to know how to use your references and to get a general sense of how to approach a variety of problems. As with all other things engineering, the best way to prepare is by working problems - as many as you can. By the time you get done working the problems, you have a good sense for the themes of questions that will likely be asked. The only way I could have done better is to add the above-referenced materials to my collection of references. There were probably 70 problems I felt confident of, 25 I was able to reason out and felt good about my response, and 5 more that were shots in the dark. I expect that I passed, but if for some reason I didn't I will be posting back here in 7-9 weeks...

Back