Question about arresters on Delta power lines...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danderson

Reaction score
distribution or lower voltage transmission. I know High Voltage transmission uses grounded static wires as a shield, but what about lower voltage classes? I would assume you would use properly rated lightning arresters. I guess they would need to be rated for the higher voltage since it is ungrounded, but my thought is you would still connect them phase to ground. Is this correct? All my experience is with wye connected distribution, so I'm not really sure.

Generally you would connect arresters on a delta system line-to-ground. They have to be rated for full line-line voltage because if one phase becomes grounded this will essentially short one of the arresters and present full line-line voltage over the other two.

It is also possible to connect the arresters line-line, but this simply shunts the energy from the lightning strike onto the other phase conductors, which could cause multiple phases to flash to ground instead of just one. Therefore it is not recommended.

Back