NAVFAC DESIGN MANUALS

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayliss

Reaction score
hello everyone,

I am wondering how much of the NAVFAC design manuals should I look up for the exam.

The first time I saw this was during my PE review, and during the exam I carry the design manuals with me but didn't really used them. That is probably why I did not pass. :(

I do not know where should I start with them. Anyone has any idea, which sections should I review for the test if any???

Thanks

I have both DMs as pdf copies and some of the charts have pretty fuzzy lettering. Pretty much all legible, but somewhat hard to head in some instances. Is this normal?

I also haven't really referenced these DM's much during my studies so am also open to input if specific portions of DM 1 or 2 are of the most importance during the PE.

For Geotech PM you would need NAVFAC manual for some questions. I didnot use them either while studying but tabbed some parts that I thought were important (seismic, deep fdn, anchors) and index for helping me in searching during exam. I would also suggest carrying certain parts of OSHA manual, there were one or two questions directly from there.

Be familiar with the complete manual - this will help you in practice as well.

Thanks for the input. I printed out subpart p over excavations from the OSHA 2007 manual. Does anyone know what other sections I may need or if I should be using a different version of the manual?

Thanks again,

David

Typical questions about OSHA will ask you to determine whether an excavation is safe based on the slope geometry, depth of excavation, and soil type, so make sure you bring the section and appendix that discuss these parameters. You've probably seen an example of this if you bought the NCEES sample exam. I doubt you need the rest of the manual.

I didn't bring NAVFAC to the exam because I didn't think there was any information in it that I needed for the exam, that I couldn't look up in another reference. But I do use DM 7.02 almost every day in practice.

Back