Formwork for Concrete Reference Book

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky1

Reaction score
Are there enough problems on the exam to justify buying this book or are there other options to get the basics necessary for the exam?

The NCEES Sample Questions & Solutions only contain one related problem (#108).

Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

if you think two or three problems might be the difference in passing....I would get it.

Regardless, the book is outstanding, widely recognized and covers a wide range of topics not covered anywhere else. If you are involved in construction engineering in anyway, the book is really a "must have."

I have it. I came in handy. Be careful many refernces cite the code incorrectly or miss impotant parts. For instance the Ruwan practice problem book has the equation for concrete placement > 14' high catorized as "less than 7ft/hr" which is true(special case) but the equation is also for 7ft/hr to 15ft/hr.

Absolutely I'd buy it. I am a Construction Depth, presumably like you? While it's not needed for the AM exam, the more problems I've worked for the PM the more helpful it's been. There is a lot of good stuff in this book. For example yesterday I was working a problem where you are asked to check the Factor of Safety for tie wire (No. 9) on a wall form. It was in the CERM 12th Ed. Practice Problems. I wasn't sure how to start this, CERM was vague so I reached for Hurd's Formwork and bam! There it was. Definetly get this book. I know it isn't cheap, but my goodness look how much the NDS set costs. Yikes. I have not needed those books yet. Having said that expect half a dozen problems referencing NDS on the exam. lol

I found a few references on the internet that covered most of the important material. Do some searching and you can find the strength formulas, basic formwork design, and methods for installing and takedown. Like said its good for 2-3 pretty easy answeres if you have the reference

I used it several times on the April 2012 exam. I bought it a few weeks before the exam, just in case. Very, very glad that I had it.

Sledge,

Tread carefully. Recall the NCEES clause of discussing items specific to the exam. I would not divulge anything that would suggest questions specfic to the exam.

Jason

I borrowed the ACI forms manual from a friend, and was happy I did........ I couldn't justify purchasing it

Sledge,

Tread carefully. Recall the NCEES clause of discussing items specific to the exam. I would not divulge anything that would suggest questions specfic to the exam.

Jason
Was his post edited? I don't think there's anything wrong with writing he used a specific reference several times on the exam.

It's been awhile but it might have been edited. I thought he divulged around questions, but I don't remember. If I was wrong I stand corrected.

thanks,

Jason

Back