Impact the same as dynamic allowance?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McEngr

Reaction score
Is the dynamic allowance the same as impact? The reason I ask is because it appears that the SE Practice problems refer to a problem that asks for impact negative moment of a slab at a support. It appears that this is an error.

Answering my own question here. The answer is that the DLA replaces the impact factor.

Is the dynamic allowance the same as impact? The reason I ask is because it appears that the SE Practice problems refer to a problem that asks for impact negative moment of a slab at a support. It appears that this is an error.
I don't use dynamic allowance for anything, I use impact factor for LL. They are different animals. I think chap 3 of AASHTO talks about this.

I don't use dynamic allowance for anything, I use impact factor for LL. They are different animals. I think chap 3 of AASHTO talks about this.
Depending on what design standard you use. ASSHTO LRFD calls the impact factor "dynamic allowance" Other bridge specs call it impact factor. I just call it impact factor.

ipswitch, you forced me to double check myself yet again. I'm glad you posted again as I was going to be scratching my head for a few days trying to figure out the difference again.

I think the word allowance is a big problem from an interpretation standpoint. The implied meaning is that it is optional, but it clearly is a requirement.

AASHTO just changed terminology and the way it is computed. AASHTO Std. Specs used a different formula that was dependent upon the span length. LRFD uses 1.33.

Thank you ADB. It helps to have forums like these to get clarification. I hope to pay it forward during this study process...

Depending on what design standard you use. ASSHTO LRFD calls the impact factor "dynamic allowance" Other bridge specs call it impact factor. I just call it impact factor.
I was shooting at the hip the first post until I checked the AASHTO this morning when I arrived at the office.

Back