Working as an Intern count towards 2 yr requirements?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tokka

Reaction score
I graduated from an ABET approved University in Civil Engineering in California.

I currently work as an Administrative Intern II at a local city while I obtain my Masters in Transportation Engineering. However I do work 40 hours a week. Will this count towards the 2 yr requirements in California?

My current job description is:

Under general supervision, performed a variety of routine administrative, technical, and engineering duties in support of the Public Works Department, Design Division including, but not limited to: plan checking, field work, engineering calculations, design, use of AutoCAD, cost estimates, reviewing project proposals, State and Local funding, prepare routine reports, contract documents, and specifications.

I graduated from an ABET approved University in Civil Engineering in California.

I currently work as an Administrative Intern II at a local city while I obtain my Masters in Transportation Engineering. However I do work 40 hours a week. Will this count towards the 2 yr requirements in California?

My current job description is:

Under general supervision, performed a variety of routine administrative, technical, and engineering duties in support of the Public Works Department, Design Division including, but not limited to: plan checking, field work, engineering calculations, design, use of AutoCAD, cost estimates, reviewing project proposals, State and Local funding, prepare routine reports, contract documents, and specifications.
Is your supervisor a PE? If so, I am willing to bet that it would count. But I would check with my state board to be sure. Any of the Califonians on here care to comment?

I've always been under the impression, that experience before graduation does not count.

But, I'm easily impressed.

You should check with the board, but it does sound like it qualifies since you already have your BS. You're doing engineering work under supervision of someone with a PE - your manager. Worst case, you submit your paperwork and letters and it gets declined.

You should double check but if you finish your masters, that also counts toward your 2 yr requirement (I forget if it's 1 or 2 years credit they give you for a masters).

^ thats what I was thinking. Either the work counts or the masters counts, not both. Since you have the BS degree and are working that is more likely to count than the masters degree.

Back