Which Civil Depth Section Should I take?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palvarez83

Project Engineer
Reaction score
My undergrad degree is in mechanical. I have a masters in general engineering. As of last week I'm a licensed PE in both Mechanical and Electrical (passed each on the first try). I want to do Civil next but don't know what depth topic to take. My work experience has been in construction of structures (so I figure I could do either construction or structural). Also I do lots of HVAC work with pumps and water-flow, ect., so I know my way around fluids (I figure I might be able to handle water resources). Can someone please give me their opinion? (e.g. pros and cons of each) I will probably stay away from transportation and geotechnical. I'm in CA so I will also have to take seismic & surveying.

Thanks in advance,

Pablo

My undergrad degree is in mechanical. I have a masters in general engineering. As of last week I'm a licensed PE in both Mechanical and Electrical (passed each on the first try). I want to do Civil next but don't know what depth topic to take. My work experience has been in construction of structures (so I figure I could do either construction or structural). Also I do lots of HVAC work with pumps and water-flow, ect., so I know my way around fluids (I figure I might be able to handle water resources). Can someone please give me their opinion? (e.g. pros and cons of each) I will probably stay away from transportation and geotechnical. I'm in CA so I will also have to take seismic & surveying.
Thanks in advance,

Pablo
Personally, I found the structural depth to be fairly simple. This assumes that you are familiar with all of the structural codes.

I wonder if it's easier to pass the ME/EE exams having practiced as civil/structural, or the civil/structural having practiced as ME/EE? I'm planning on getting as many certs as I can - concentrating on the Structural and CA-specific exam right now, but after I get those I do intend to sit for the ME and EE.

Once you complete testing (or if anyone else has done this), I'd be interested to hear which test was more difficult for you.

Thanks in advance,

Pablo
Personally, I found the structural depth to be fairly simple. This assumes that you are familiar with all of the structural codes.

I wonder if it's easier to pass the ME/EE exams having practiced as civil/structural, or the civil/structural having practiced as ME/EE? I'm planning on getting as many certs as I can - concentrating on the Structural and CA-specific exam right now, but after I get those I do intend to sit for the ME and EE.

Once you complete testing (or if anyone else has done this), I'd be interested to hear which test was more difficult for you.
Thanks Karen. I will let you know my feelings about it afterwards. When you are ready to prepare for the ME or EE exam, let me know. I can offer plenty of advice on either. Thanks.

Thanks Karen. I will let you know my feelings about it afterwards. When you are ready to prepare for the ME or EE exam, let me know. I can offer plenty of advice on either. Thanks.
Oh, it'll probably be 4-5 years at least. It's more of a "feather in my cap" kind of thing, and I have far more important things to put the application and book fees towards right now.

Back