Licensesure in other states if only pass the national exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schrun209

Reaction score
I just recently took the CA PE this April and was wondering if I can get licensed in other state(s) if I pass the national exam only and not the CA state specific exam? Any info would be appreciated.

depends on the state and if you meet their experience requirements. Check out the state boards you are interested in to see.

Yeah that's what I figured, I have 6+ years of structural experience so I'm guessing I'll be OK in that department.

I just recently took the CA PE this April and was wondering if I can get licensed in other state(s) if I pass the national exam only and not the CA state specific exam? Any info would be appreciated.
Since you are a Civil PE I will address it like that. In California as a civil PE, you can practice pretty much anything (within your expertise), even structural engineering with the exception of DSA and OSHPD work. K-12 schools, Junior colleges, hospitials and other "critical" facilities fall into these juristictions. In california "Structural" and "Geotechnical" are considered titles that a civil engineer can earn and not stand alone license that can be obtained.

For Civil, california has seismic & surveying state specific exams that other out of state people seeking comity in CA would have to take. Likewise if you wanted to apply for comity, as a civil in other states, you would need to take any state specific exams that they require. Fortunatley there are not many out there other than California. Where you can run into trouble, is if your area of practice of Civil Engineering is "Structural". Several states (Hawaii for example, if I remember correctly) separate Structural Engineering from Civil Engineering entirely. So you could apply for comity in Hawaii as a Civil, but would not be able to design buildings, except for the site preparation, drainage, water & sewer utilities, ect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some states, like Washinton and Alaska (there may be others), will require you to take speifice course/seminar in "Arctic Engineering" so that you are familiar with the design requirements in extremely cold temperatures.

Hmm I guess I should have read your question more closely. I am not sure that you can apply for comity without first being licensed in one state. Since you took it in CA, if you didn't pass all the exams (let's hope you did) you wouldn't have a license to apply for comity with, even though you took the same exam. I would suggest contacting the licensing board of the specific state you would be interested in. You can find their contact information here:

http://www.ncees.org/Licensing_boards.php

Also, I might add, you should establish an NCEES records. There is a seperate section for exams taken and licenses held.

I passed the civil structural and I know I aced the CA seismic, I hope I pass the survey.....:/. Thanks for the info will call ncees Monday

Back