Diagnostic sheet for people who pass too

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam77

Reaction score
I wish that they show the diagnostic sheet for people who pass too.

I think some passing examinees still want to know where their weaknesses are.

Why does it matter? It's not school where you have multiple tests. 90% of the stuff on the test is stuff I dont use everyday anyway.

Seriously once you have passed do you ever even want to look at another PE type questions. Just like what navy said I don't even use 90% of the stuff they test you on. It's a one time deal unless you fail then its an on going thing.

Well, I for one wish I knew the problems I missed.

I spent months and hundreds of hours studying for this test. I worked hundreds of problems, over and over. It was a serious monetary and time investment for me.

I did get a score from Texas (93), but I'd really like to know what I missed. It's just the 'student' and 'perfectionist' in me.

I spent months and hundreds of hours studying for this test. I worked hundreds of problems, over and over. It was a serious monetary and time investment for me.
I agree 100%. I spent around 450 hours studying for this thing. I worked all NCEES, Kaplan, PPI, Kaiser, and grad school problems over and over again, 531 unique problems to be exact and I would love to know how well I did. Did I ace this test? Did I just barely pass? I would like to know just to satisfy the perfectionsit in me. I was never happy just "passing" classes in college and I'm not happy just "meeting" expectations at work.

What bothers me even more is the weak explanation so many are quick to parrot as to why a raw score is not released. The process should be transparent, why is my score such a big secret? If you don't want to publish it that's fine but at least give me some means of obtaining my score.

Cableguy above me found out he made a 93 on his test, don't you think that will for the rest of his career give a boost to his professional confidence? Why can't everyone have that opportunity if they worked that hard on a test?

[/rant]

i don't think legal ramifications are weak explanations. It removes the agruement in court that one sides Engineer is better than the other because they scored better on the exam. Same argument about the states not listing the # of times the person took the test on their llicense look up database. So and so needed 3 times to pass while our PE only needed one so ours is smarter and should be the one to listen to.

Personally I could care less. I passed the test and I am putting it all behind me. Like someone else said, I don't use any of this information at work.

Engineer is better than the other because they scored better on the exam
Not to sound like a heartless mean person, but if THEY ARE BETTER then why can't they reap the benefits of their hard work and dedication?

Everyone has the same opportunity to study for 100s of hours and score high on this test, it's not like this test is judging something outside our control. If you can't put in 200 hours of study by April, no problem! Take it in October.

Engineers who are more disciplined, more dedicated, more educated have a better chance of scoring high because they are probably better engineers. Is a test score a perfect measure of one's level of competence? Absolutely not but neither are SAT scores, GPAs, CPA exams, MCATS, GREs, baseball stats...let's just do away with all of them so we all feel warm and fuzzy inside and become a nation of mediocre everyone-gets-a-medal achievers. :D Scores make people work harder, it's as simple as that.

P.S. I'm really not that mean I promise! I just have a hard time with the lack of transperancy in this whole process. :deadhorse:

Engineer is better than the other because they scored better on the exam
Not to sound like a heartless mean person, but if THEY ARE BETTER then why can't they reap the benefits of their hard work and dedication?

Everyone has the same opportunity to study for 100s of hours and score high on this test, it's not like this test is judging something outside our control. If you can't put in 200 hours of study by April, no problem! Take it in October.

Engineers who are more disciplined, more dedicated, more educated have a better chance of scoring high because they are probably better engineers. Is a test score a perfect measure of one's level of competence? Absolutely not but neither are SAT scores, GPAs, CPA exams, MCATS, GREs, baseball stats...let's just do away with all of them so we all feel warm and fuzzy inside and become a nation of mediocre everyone-gets-a-medal achievers. :D Scores make people work harder, it's as simple as that.

P.S. I'm really not that mean I promise! I just have a hard time with the lack of transperancy in this whole process. :deadhorse:
Because some people that take the test don't have 200 hours to study for a "perfect" score and do enough to pass the test. They are busy being project managers, parents, putting out fires, etc. This exam is after four years of experience and depending where you work you could be managing more than just yourself.

Why are we assuming that a barely passing PE score is going to hinder you for the rest of your professional life? I know plenty of 2.0 GPA guys who barely got their degrees and then got very good jobs and moved on with their lives. There is a lot more to a hire/fire decision than just your test scores.

And let me get this straight, the concern here is that by releasing scores we might give the engineer who put in more time and effort into this test and scored higher an advantage over an engineer who didn’t?!

No one forces you to take this test at a certain time Willsee, if a “project manager” can’t put in 200 hours by April to make that “perfect” score you mentioned then he can take it in October.

I guess I don't see the lack of transparency. The tests are designed to set a widely accepted level for minimal competency, which is needed to gain licensure. They tell you about what to expect subject matter wise on the test. and they even tell you it takes 8-10 weeks for grading. But seriously that 8-10 weeks is really eaten up by sheer logisitics. They don't give out cut scores because they vary by test and offering, so it avoids confrontations like but it was XX last time, why is xy this time.

Other than Pass/fail why should you care. There are VERY knowledgable and smart engineers out there that test horriblely, but that doesn't make them worse than the horrible engineer that does excellent on tests. With the given rules, both could obtain a PE license.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will agree that a pass is a pass, and that just like Whose Line, above "passing" the score doesn't matter. Above a 70, you studied too much. ;)

My own point is, as a person who sat and studied all of these problems, took multiple sample exams, figured out where I went wrong with these sample exams, I'm disappointed that when it comes to the 'real' test - I will never know exactly what I missed, nor will I know the "correct" answer to the few questions that bugged me. I still think about a few of those problems, believe it or not. I guess that's the way I'm wired. I understand why NCEES does it, but it still bugs me. I'd really just like to know for my own curiosity's sake.

But I'm moving on. Grad school starts for me next week. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck in grad school cable; I think you’ll like it.

It’s funny but grad school kinda got me going down the PE path! When I applied to grad school in 2009 they gave me the choice between taking the GRE or the FE for admission. I figured the FE would be two birds with one stone so I took that and I passed it.

I would like to see my FE diagnostic just out of pure curiosity. The reason being, was I had not prepared at all for the test, and I took it 7 year out of school.

I walked in expecting to fail, and walked out with supreme confidence that I had passed. It was for me personally an incredible moment of triumph. There were things that I hadn't looked at in 10 years, that I was able to answer and things that I should have aced, that I struggled with. So to see a break down would just be interesting...

PE results, I could care less, done and done

Back