AASHTO - Which chapters are the most important?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am wondering which chapters of AASHTO are most important for the Transportation depth exam. Do I really need the whole thing??? I only want to print what I have to.

which AASHTO publication are you referring to? The Green Book (A Policy on Geometric Designs of Highways and Streets)? Design of Pavement Structures? Or the Roadside Design Guide?

Which ever it is, I'd recommend taking the whole book. Material from any chapter of those references is fair game on the exam.

which AASHTO publication are you referring to? The Green Book (A Policy on Geometric Designs of Highways and Streets)? Design of Pavement Structures? Or the Roadside Design Guide?
Which ever it is, I'd recommend taking the whole book. Material from any chapter of those references is fair game on the exam.

Yes, I was referring to the Green Book. Guess I'll have to print the whole thing then. Thanks!

Yes, I was referring to the Green Book. Guess I'll have to print the whole thing then. Thanks!
If you really wanted to you could only print the sections that you end up using while working practice problems, but you run the risk of not having material you may need on the exam. The paper that it costs to print those extra pages is probably well worth it when you think of the extra cost it would mean to have to take the exam again if you don't pass because you didn't have the right pages.

If you really wanted to you could only print the sections that you end up using while working practice problems, but you run the risk of not having material you may need on the exam. The paper that it costs to print those extra pages is probably well worth it when you think of the extra cost it would mean to have to take the exam again if you don't pass because you didn't have the right pages.
You're right. I'm not gonna risk missing a question just to save paper.

At first I thought we'd only be tested on Chapt 3 (Elements of Design) of the AASHTO GDHS but, per the Transpo NCEES sample exam I am currently working through, there are a lot of surprise questions with answers found in other chapters (clear zone on a rural road, on-ramp merge length, roundabouts, etc.). Bring the whole GDHS for sure.

Back