2009 vs. 2003 MUTCD

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptatohed

Licenced to Spell
Reaction score
Guys, I just noticed that on NCEES's most recent Transpo Depth Exam Specifications,

Link to .pdf

it lists the 2009 MUTCD (superseding the previous 2003 version) in the list of design standards.

I know I shouldn't even complain because the MUTCD is one of the only (if not the only) free Transpo resources. But, because I already have the 2003 MUTCD printed (in color) and bound, I'd prefer not to re-print and re-bind the 2009 (864 pages), if it isn't critical.

What do you guys think?

Link to the free FHWA 2009 MUTCD.

Link to the Previous editions, including the 2003, if interested.

Thanks!

From a design side, there isnt much difference between the two; mostly just updates on current technology and revised safety adjustments. The only major difference (which doesnt really apply to the pe exam) is that there is a new clause in the 2009 version which eliminates the ability to modify the standards for specific field conditions "with engineering judgement." Basically says build it per the standard or you're in deep $#!+.

Should also note that several states still have not adopted the 2009 standards and still work from the 2003 edition, based on the "engineering judgement" clause alone.

Back