Foundation design

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PEin2010

Reaction score
How to select a type of foundation (raft, spread footing, drilled shafts, etc) based on soil types (for example, clay, sand, gravel, etc)? Is there a thumb rule that geotechs use?

Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you.

How to select a type of foundation (raft, spread footing, drilled shafts, etc) based on soil types (for example, clay, sand, gravel, etc)? Is there a thumb rule that geotechs use?
I'm not a geotechnical, but I think the close to a rule of thumb is a test of boring record. This will give you a good idea what is underneath if you have a shallow GWT and soft soils this will take you to think in deep foundations (piles).

Let's see what others think about this!

:mf_heads_or_tails:
I'm not a geotechnical, but I think the close to a rule of thumb is a test of boring record. This will give you a good idea what is underneath if you have a shallow GWT and soft soils this will take you to think in deep foundations (piles).

Let's see what others think about this!

Geotech people????

There are many factors that affect selection of specific foundation type: Here is a quote from GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERING PROCEDURES FOR FOUNDATION DESIGN OF BUILDINGS AND STRUCTURES UFC-3-220-01. Chapter 3

"Selection of an appropriate foundation depends upon the structure’s function, existing soil and groundwater conditions, construction schedules, construction economy, the value of basement area, and other factors. On the basis of preliminary information concerning the purpose of the structure, foundation loads, and subsurface soil conditions, alternative types of foundations for the bearing capacity and total and differential settlements should be evaluated."

Or if you are looking for specific soil type, refer to the attached.

foundation_types_1.gif

foundation_types_2.gif

Back