Kids of EB - Page 138 - Shoot the Breeze - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
FLBuff PE

Kids of EB

39 minutes ago, Road Guy said:

5 years and a wake up to freedom!!!!!!!!!!

(Que. the Braveheart music)

LOL!  

h2kjq.jpg

7 minutes ago, Road Guy said:

I still believe I was taken advantage of

The struggle is real!!!

don't mistake my friendly personality for someone who wont break your arm off and beat you to death with it..

:D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Road Guy said:

No you still have a few more years of hell before that, elementary school was the worst, bored Stay at home moms living at the school to make sure their little brat gets the best and trying to lure the other parents into the class to do the teachers job (crafts, photocopying, decorating the room) fuck that quilt trip....

Middle school is good because the parents are told not to come to school to help, but then your kids starts getting hair in weird places and talking back to you...

High school is the best as you no longer have to drive them to sports and activities after school because they are right after school..

5 years and a wake up to freedom!!!!!!!!!!

(Que. the Braveheart music)

My wife stayed at home and was very active in the school / PTO, but she never even hinted at doing the teacher's classroom decorating etc.  she was a lobbyist for getting new books/playground equipment, etc.

She was not invoved with middle school much beyond criticizing the administrators for being city hacks collecting a paycheck.

Actually high school sports take care of their own transportation but "outside" sports like city / travel leagues / select teams, etc. stiil require the $$$ and time.  However, at the high school level it's pretty competitive and you actually want to go and watch them play.  Also, they're driving themselves to these things at the end of high school so you're really just reduced to being a spectator.

RG:  you forgot the college years where they may not be seen much but the wallet is still pretty light.

What do you get for $850/ month? When we took our kids to early child development we had to pay for it and then WE had to play with the kids at various stations in the classroom for about a half an hour. When that was finished the kids had to play with each other while the parents worked on their social skills sitting on kiddie chairs in a circle talking about awkward topics like discipline and counting to three.

We did this so the kids could see more than just grandmas, grandpas, and cousins.

They have an actual curriculum (surprisingly) that includes reading, math, group play, shape/color identification etc.  Meals (breakfast, lunch, snacks) are included but you're free to send your own also.  Parents may opt to stay early in the semester if they want but aren't encouraged to participate since the school wants the kid to get used to being with a teacher and other kids.  That's pretty much it if I remember correctly.  

Sounds pretty standard. Ours all went to Primrose school (day care) 10 years ago it ran around $200/week in the ATL.. About killed me for a few years...

MA- we had tons of mommies with nothing to do at the school every day, not just pta meetings, always made me want to vomit to be honest, my kids generation will probably be 10X as bad as the millennials with the helicopter mommies...

We go to there HS events, its just nice to not have to take them to practice after school since its right after school..

Its also nice to age out of elementary school where usually in sports the only way your kid gets to play a really good position is for you to be the coach or be best friends with the coaches, its nice to see those kids finally sitting on the bench!

2 hours ago, MA_PE said:

RG:  you forgot the college years where they may not be seen much but the wallet is still pretty light.

Only if you oblige them.  I had to work in college for spending/spring break money. ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, knight1fox said:

Only if you oblige them.  I had to work in college for spending/spring break money. ;)

me too

well there's cars, tuition, health insurance, the list goes on......

4 hours ago, MA_PE said:

well there's cars

:huh:  I had my mountain bike to get around campus.

4 hours ago, MA_PE said:

tuition

= Job + student loans

4 hours ago, MA_PE said:

health insurance

LOL...

See student health services.  Included in tuition.

When I was in college I had a car provided by my parents (they paid for the car but I covered all the operating costs with my part-time job).  They paid my tuition (which was a hell of a lot cheaper than it is now) and health insurance wasn't mandatory (like it is now).  Note the health insurance charge that was tacked on to the tuition was more than I paid for the additional coverage on my plan.  The only way to opt out of the college plan was to demonstrate the student was covered elsewhere.

as parents we like to provide at least the same as we got growing up.  Unfortunately I was not able to provide that for my kids as they still had some loans coming out of school.  It is pretty sad the financial burden kids are subjected to these days

Yep, I didn't get a nickel from either parent.  Probably why I'm so bitter about not planning to provide much when the time comes (the same as I got growing up).  But I do agree that some of these private colleges are making off like bandits meanwhile leaving kids with an exuberant amount of debt. 

And a lot of state colleges are making out like bandits to, they made these colleges in to job fairs for people that can't get a real job

and they've bumped up the entry requirements so they can start getting more out of staters that pay twice the money.

I like how we are raising our kids regarding money, we have had the same toaster since we got married (wedding gift-22 years)  its been on its last leg for years, one side doesn't work, have to risk death to retrieve toast,  bagels, etc

So I finally got sick of it and bought a new modern toaster (black and decker 755, 0.2 hp, tim allen grunt...)

My daughter came home and saw the toaster and said "Did we win the lottery or something?"

LOL

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Road Guy said:

I like how we are raising our kids regarding money, we have had the same toaster since we got married (wedding gift-22 years)  its been on its last leg for years, one side doesn't work, have to risk death to retrieve toast,  bagels, etc

So I finally got sick of it and bought a new modern toaster (black and decker 755, 0.2 hp, tim allen grunt...)

My daughter came home and saw the toaster and said "Did we win the lottery or something?"

LOL

LOL x2!

My 1.5 year old has been out of daycare since Monday.  He caught some kind of upper respiratory virus.  The doctor actually had us take him to the ER yesterday to check to see if he needed to be admitted for pneumonia.  He's fine though and seems a lot better today.  

Mrs. MF and I have been splitting the days watching him since then.  I'm glad my job is pretty good about telecommuting otherwise that would be a lot of vacation days.

^hope he feels better soon!!!!

• Like 1