Is the MS even worth it anymore?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt-NM

Reaction score
I received my BS in ME in 2001 and really didn't give a masters a second thought. I was burned out by then anyway. Now, looking back i'm not sure if it would have made much difference. I would probably be making a few K more and maybe be doing a little different work. I did get my PE however.

What does everybody think? For those that did get their MS, how long did it take you and did you go full time?

Thanks.

I'm doing my MEng part time right now. Personally I think it's becoming more common to do post-graduate course work, and I think eventually it will be the standard.

There is no replacement for experience... but there's also no replacement for education either. In my limited experience, someone who has a lot of both is better than someone who has just one or the other.

I don't have one, but in some fields it is very beneficial. I think it is a plus, and I am regretting not having one. I will probably be required to get one if I expect to ever move up in my field...

I have worked at a lot of places but only with one engineer who got a Master of Engineering. Honestly, I think it might have hurt him. He seemed to be pigeonholed as a "head down" engineer, as if he conceded by going MS over MBA that he had inferior management skills.

I have a MEng. The gov paid me to get it, and other than being able to get me a -12 slot years ago, I don't think it has been more than a resume filler.

Think about it like this... If the gov't is trying to make sure EVERYONE can get an undergrad degree... ;)

yes i agree. I didnt want to do masters in civil, because all it does is specialize you and can sometimes limit your job opportunities.

I decided to get an MBA and will be done next summer, I believe it is a better long term career track as I could work in the business field or move up in an engineering firm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am all for it, though I have one. I went part time once I started working, since work paid for it. Where I work, it is strongly recommended that you participate in the scholar program (getting a higher degree) and is rewarded.

If I had to do it all over again though, I would have stayed in school after my BS and gone for my PhD. Now I do not have the time to get the PhD. until the kiddies are going for thiers.

Back