WTH is Google up to?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever it is, I guarantee it will be a huge disappointment when contrasted with all the speculation.

You got this part right... apparently it's just going to be a floating showroom and party venue for Google to entertain and impress VIP guests and potential customers...

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/10/31/googles-secret-revealed-barge-to-offer-high-end-showrooms-party-deck/

A source who has been onboard the vessel, which is moored off San Francisco’s Treasure Island under tight security, told KPIX 5 the first three floors are designed to serve as “dazzling showrooms” that can be outfitted with chrome features and floor lighting. There is an upper “party deck” meant to feature bars, lanais and other comforts so Google can fete its upscale customers.

I'd like to go party their and see if I'm "disappointed".

Why is the populace so "disappointed" in the barge truth? It's not Google's fault people put up a high expectation of what they think it should be.

this thread makes me hungry for seafood :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I sincerely doubt it's OTEC. Although one of the only OTEC attempts was performed on a barge about that size, it was performed off Hawaii, where the surface waters are warm and to deep waters are cold - you don't have that contrast in SF or Maine, so it would make no sense. Even in Hawaii, the Carnot (=theoretical maximum) efficiency is only around 6%, which translates to a practical efficiency of maybe 3%, at best. What this means is that, in order to produce any appreciable amount of power, you have to pump an enormous quantity of water to extract the heat from, which means gigantic pumps, a gigantic heat exchanger, and the need for thermal reservoirs that can sustain the recycling of that water (i.e., massive, deep ocean waters with good currents). The Hawaii barge-OTEC drew water from 2,200 feet at 2700 gpm, and only produced 55 kW, while eating up 40 kW in pumping energy (net 15 kW) - that gives an idea of the size of equipment that would be needed.

Sorry - OTEC gets me going. I've had to explain to island politicians too many times, after being visited by sham OTEC salesmen promising "free energy from the ocean". Free, my ass.

My problem with OTEC is because of the poor efficiency, you have to run a LOT of water through there and change the temp of the water a decent amount. I think the vast quanitity of water being affected by the temp change would cause massive, unintended environmental problems.

This Is What Google's Barge Should Eventually Look Like:

original.jpg

Ref: http://gizmodo.com/report-googles-barge-will-be-an-unprecedented-artist-1460715177

I'd like to go party their and see if I'm "disappointed".

Why is the populace so "disappointed" in the barge truth? It's not Google's fault people put up a high expectation of what they think it should be.

Google hosted a kickoff party when our entire group went with them for e-mail and drives. They ran out of cupcakes, there were no giveaways and there was a cheap candy bar. I'm not getting on the Google Party Barge ™ and finding out it's all Rolling Rock and meatballs.

Back