Would the 2nd edition of WW Engineering by Metcalf be useful?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmr

Reaction score
Well, title pretty much explains it all :)

Anyway, I'm sure I'll figure out on my own after studying a bit, but I currently have the 2nd edition and was wondering if a newer edition would be more beneficial for the exam? I used the 2nd edition while studying for the Civl exam (failed it twice last year, now trying the Enviro exam in April, woo!) and have it all tabbed up. I can't say I used it too much during the Civil exam, though I felt better having a wastewater text along at exam time...most of what I had highlighted and tabbed was in the big Lindeburg civil reference manual anyway.

And I guess another general/related question...does the edition of the text matter? As in I'm looking at Hazardous Waste Management by LaGrega and also Air Pollution Control by Cooper and not sure what edition to get.

I looked through the other thread where everyone listed what study/reference materials they utilized, but nothing's really mentioned about editions so I didn't know if it was preference or what ;)

Thanks for any advice!

I never used Metcalf & Eddy. I went with Unit Operations... by Reynolds & Richards which was my college water/WW textbook.

Haz Waste by LaGrega is pretty much the standard and some of the exam questions are pretty similar to what you find in the book.

For air quality I used Handbook of Air Pollution Control... by Mycock (yes, that's his name) et. al.

Thanks for the quick response!

And thanks for mentioning Unit Ops...totally have that book from college also, and didn't even think about it! I'l try not to worry too much about having "the right/perfect/best" reference books and just order some so I can get them in a timely fashion to actually utilize them =)

Supposed to get above freezing tomorrow, according to the weather channel...but I'll believe it when I see it ;)

If so, the "wow everyone's out washing their cars!!" headline will make news again more than likely, haha, that cracks me up! Guess more people need to take their 10AM work break to wash the salt off their vehicles, rather than waiting until after work if they don't want to complain about the hour long wait at the autowash!

How's things up north? One of my sister-in-laws is up that way...she says it's even windier up there than back here, which I find hard to believe!

^ funny you mention car washes. two of the car washes we have in our town closed up shop around the new year and have big FOR SALE sign on them

How's things up north? One of my sister-in-laws is up that way...she says it's even windier up there than back here, which I find hard to believe!

Oh, it's delightful today. Thinking I might head on over to the river, spend the afternoon fishing, and then grill up my bounty once I get home.

If you already have the second edition all tabbed up, that indicates you are pretty familiar with it. Familiarity's probably worth more than the updates to the text you would get with the newer edition. But that said, you should probably just check to see what the differences are. Sometimes a new edition will have entirely new subjects in them. If, for example (totally guessing here), the old edition did not cover disinfection, but the new one does, that might be worth the purchase. If the new edition just involved corrections, updates, and "re-writing" an existing section, probably not.

Make sure you get the 2nd edition of La Grega (there are no newer editions), and I think there is a "new" edition of Cooper and Alley, which is a very well known text. If you're just now buying them, it's worth it to get the latest.

Thanks for the input =)

And it does make sense to get the most recent version of the texts. I'll take a look on Amazon and see what's available! Or are there any other good places to look for texts? I guess other than a local bookshop, that's the only place I've bought books since college ;)

I'm in college again (online) and so far, Amazon seems to have the best prices on new books, and a great marketplace for used.

My college links to Barnes & Noble for its textbooks, and they are almost always priced significantly higher than Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back