world's scariest bridges

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MA_PE

engine near
Reaction score
Anyone else see this on Yahoo?

I'm not sure I'd cross most of them. The automoblile bridges I'd go for, but some of these footbridges I :dunno: .

World's scariest bridges

I went over the Confederation Bridge this summer, it's a little freaky. 8 miles long and nothing but thick fog that limits visbility to about 30 feet. I kept expecting to drive off the unfinished end of it or something.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederation_Bridge

Did you write the structure description on the wiki page?

Structure
The bridge is a giant robotic jellyfish, famous for the sacking of the late Prime Minister Doctor Who. It all started, once upon a time, in a land far, far, away. There was an innocent looking mushroom who aspired to be a park bench. All the gnomes thought this was ridiculous, but continued to sit upon the mushroom. Enraged, the mushroom sprouted tentacle-like appendages, and began breathing fire. The Doctor appeared in his Tardis, but was no match for the fungal fanatic. Fortunately, or, perhaps, unfortunately, there was a wise wizard nearby, who knew how to count to ten. He instructed the mushroom in this fine, secret art, at which point the mushroom conceded to live a peaceful lifestyle. Nonetheless, Plutonian missionaries decided this was not up to speed with their plan of converting the masses to their cult of Zaaal. Accordingly, they proceed to douse the planet Earth with spicy barbecue sauce, which gave the mushroom robotic abilities through its artificial preservatives. This was to no avail, however, as the mushroom continued in the wizard's wake, using the ABCs to thwart their nefarious plan. Defeated, the missionaries could only transform into Hannah Montanna, to plague the earth for the next millenia.

A stone statue of the wizard hangs at the front of the Galbraith Building at the University of Toronto, where students celebrate his work by stuffing lightbulbs in several erotic areas. They call this week "Turn on week."

Fellow EngSci's, is this reliable?
:rotflmao:

I drive go across the chesapeake bay bridge several times a year. I don't think its scary at all. It's not much higher than most bridges. I would say the Key bridge in baltimore is worse. Its a higher bridge and the winds are usually worse. Not as long though.

Did you write the structure description on the wiki page?

Structure
The bridge is a giant robotic jellyfish, famous for the sacking of the late Prime Minister Doctor Who. It all started, once upon a time, in a land far, far, away. There was an innocent looking mushroom who aspired to be a park bench. All the gnomes thought this was ridiculous, but continued to sit upon the mushroom. Enraged, the mushroom sprouted tentacle-like appendages, and began breathing fire. The Doctor appeared in his Tardis, but was no match for the fungal fanatic. Fortunately, or, perhaps, unfortunately, there was a wise wizard nearby, who knew how to count to ten. He instructed the mushroom in this fine, secret art, at which point the mushroom conceded to live a peaceful lifestyle. Nonetheless, Plutonian missionaries decided this was not up to speed with their plan of converting the masses to their cult of Zaaal. Accordingly, they proceed to douse the planet Earth with spicy barbecue sauce, which gave the mushroom robotic abilities through its artificial preservatives. This was to no avail, however, as the mushroom continued in the wizard's wake, using the ABCs to thwart their nefarious plan. Defeated, the missionaries could only transform into Hannah Montanna, to plague the earth for the next millenia.

A stone statue of the wizard hangs at the front of the Galbraith Building at the University of Toronto, where students celebrate his work by stuffing lightbulbs in several erotic areas. They call this week "Turn on week."

Fellow EngSci's, is this reliable?
:rotflmao:
I was at an SAME luncheon one day and the speaker, a professor at Texas A&M, asked if anyone in the audience used wiki as a core reference source. When noone raised their hand, he said that he was glad to see that. He went on to tell us that his 15 year old son is a supervisor for wiki and one of the people responsible for reviewing and placing content on the web page. :huh:

Wikipedia is in the forefront of "truthiness" as explained to me by Stephen Colbert.

truthiness is a "truth" that a person claims to know intuitively "from the gut" without regard to evidence, logic, intellectual examination, or facts.

I have drove across the Royal Gorge with my wife before we were married. We drove in to the Royal Gorge area from the wrong direction late in the afternoon. The road turned into something scary across a ranch with lots of potholes. I figured it was less scary to drive across the Gorge to get back to Highway 50 than to drive back out the wrong way. We were in Cripple Creek earlier in the day, and went back to Colorado Springs for a complete trip around Pikes Peak in one day. It was a fun adventure in June before taking her to a Family Reunion in Red River, NM.

It sounds like I will get to experience those Monkey Bridges in Vietnam next summer.

The old Cooper River bridges in Charleston were a joy to cross. My mom always closed her eyes going over.

Back