Women's Room - come talk

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm. I would have thought you had the requisite education to produce a second child after the first one was conceived.
Sorry, don't kick me out of the ladies room. That just sounded funny to me.

Plus it does show that I am reading carefully.
:Locolaugh:

benbo wins the "I understand women award" of the hour --especially for the reading carefully part...(assuming benbo is male - I already made that mistake once).

I always loved math and chemistry, but I didn't want to teach. My Aunt whose son was in school for nuclear engineering said I should think about engineering. I picked to try chemical engineering, although if I had decided to go to the other school I was accepted at (a 100% coop, could have been working my very first semester of college) i would have had to pick a different engineering major bc they didn't offer chemical and I would have never met my husband.

Hmm. I would have thought you had the requisite education to produce a second child after the first one was conceived.
Ha! You're right that does sound funny.

What I meant was, he didn't want to move and then have another baby; there were no CE engineering openings in the area at the time; so I went to grad school so as to stay put another 18 months. Ironically we split up in 1990, after moving to Jackson in 1989. He went back home and I've been here ever since.

When I was 4 years old, I walked inside the house and asked my mom, "Why do the boys get to play with the good toys and us girls have to play with dolls?" Fast forward +/- 30 years and not much has changed.

When I was 4 years old, I walked inside the house and asked my mom, "Why do the boys get to play with the good toys and us girls have to play with dolls?" Fast forward +/- 30 years and not much has changed.
Wow! It was like that for me, too. I have 4 brothers and 3 sisters. I was not allowed to run the electric model train - only the boys could. I didn't understand why. I now have my own electric train set - G scale. It takes a long time for attitudes to change. Be patient. It IS getting better.

My daughter is enrolled at N. C. State Univ. in Engineering. She starts in August. She hasn't decided discipline; talking about electrical or mechanical. It will be so interesting to see her 34 years after I was there and how different it is now.

I have a question - are any of us members of Society of Women Engineers (SWE)? Some friends of mine started having a monthly lunch and, little by little, most all of my female engineer colleagues have been invited. We are kicking around the idea of joining SWE and having a little Jackson group.

I would have to travel a long distance to go to any professional organization meetings. I did it a long time ago - NSPE.

I have a question - are any of us members of Society of Women Engineers (SWE)? Some friends of mine started having a monthly lunch and, little by little, most all of my female engineer colleagues have been invited. We are kicking around the idea of joining SWE and having a little Jackson group.
I was in school, but not now.

It would be really cool if we could start an EB.com chapter of SWE. Where would we meet?

My company has a similar iniative afoot for women engineers - everyone is welcome, but the focus is getting more women interested or engaged in engineering. I haven't been to many of the meetings but my understanding is the most difficult part is getting the word out and then organizing activities that make the organization different than, say NSPE or ASCE.

I think it is a GOOD idea to get professionals together regardless of why you are organizing - sharing is a huge part of developing professionally, IMHO. :)

At VTE's house?
You are asking to get the female engineer most likely to get boo'd award, aren't you??!! :p

One of my previous supervisors said my nickname was troublemaker, because if there was trouble to be had, I would be there stirring the pot. I can see you are the same way ....

JR

I am very much a male, but actually received a small college scholarship for my freshman year from the SWE :true:

When I was in HS we took a version of the ASVAB, and my results showed that I had a good aptitude for physics.
I took that test and did so well that Navy Nuclear Power called me every freaking week for six months and then once a month for the next year trying to get me to go NROTC and then Nuke school. I went to college with a bunch of ex-nuke bubbleheads who told me they were really desperate during the timne (this was 84-85) to get nuke power officers. Some guy said if I'd take the nuke test, he'd get a thousand dollar 'finder's fee' even though he was now out.

I was not allowed to run the electric model train - only the boys could. I didn't understand why. I now have my own electric train set - G scale.
Now THAT story rocks.

It DOES rock. I also now own the antique table that was in my grandparents house that the "men" sat at. When my brothers and male cousins got old enough, they got to move from the big kitchen table that was for women and children into the dining room at the nice table. I once asked when I would be able to sit at that table and my mom and aunts told me I wouldn't. HA! I do now. :)

Back