Wobbly bridge shut down in Russia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't moving as much as the Tacoma Narrows bridge was before it collapsed, but it's still pretty scary.

They should host "extreme drag racing" on that bridge. You won't have to worry about traffic since the bridge is probably closed, and the only places where spectators really want to be is either the start (first abutment) or the finish (end abutment). Then you install a handful of periodic computer controlled cameras along the bridge (the light poles are great for this). Once this is setup then you find a handful of crazy SOB's with fast cars who want to race...

one of the vertical supports compromised by flood waters i think the sexy sounding british reporter said - the galloping gertie was done in by wind flutter in blunt terms. Hard to tell from the video exactly what is causing the wobbling, or which supports were being talked about.

one of the vertical supports compromised by flood waters i think the sexy sounding british reporter said - the galloping gertie was done in by wind flutter in blunt terms. Hard to tell from the video exactly what is causing the wobbling, or which supports were being talked about.

I realize this is a different cause and effect. Maybe I should choose my words more carefully before posting interesting topics.

^ Relax i wasn't trying to bust chops on your ref to the tacoma bridge - the comparison between the bridges is valid in terms of the phenomena exhibited by the decks. I just was alluding more that the Tacoma bridge truly had design flaw, whereas the Russian bridge was perhaps more environmental in nature...hard to say

But I really should choose my words more carefully. I agree with you, but it did come off the way you took it!

Wasn't moving as much as the Tacoma Narrows bridge was before it collapsed, but it's still pretty scary.

They should host "extreme drag racing" on that bridge. You won't have to worry about traffic since the bridge is probably closed, and the only places where spectators really want to be is either the start (first abutment) or the finish (end abutment). Then you install a handful of periodic computer controlled cameras along the bridge (the light poles are great for this). Once this is setup then you find a handful of crazy SOB's with fast cars who want to race...
I think that I might know a certain welding engineer that would take on that challenge...

I think that I might know a certain welding engineer that would take on that challenge...

I've got to admit... that would be a blast. You'd easily go airborne if you were balls to the wall on that thing. Just imagine the footage you'd get from a roll bar mounted Go Pro camera during the run!

Back