Will the Post Office kill the weekly magazines?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Buried in an article about the proposed PO cutbacks, I saw this:

First-class mail is supposed to arrive at U.S. homes and businesses in one to three days; about 42 percent of it arrives in one day. The cutbacks will back up deliveries to two to three days; periodicals could take up to nine days.
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9REL0300.htm

So, as an uninteded consequence, could magazines like Time, Newsweek, and other weeklies go under? They are already on the ropes, this could be the knockout punch. I mean, who wants a news magazine nine days + after the events have occured?

What are the periodical delivery times now though? I bet they are around that general timeframe now. When we got weekly or biweekly magazines we NEVER got them by the date on the magzine. They were always late. Businesses are just going to have to adjust and mail a a day or two sooner...its only going to hurt the first few cycles of the changeover then it will be back to business as usual.

Who cares? All the magazines in my doctor's office are about two months old anyways.

As far as I'm concerned, print media has been dead for a few years now anyways.

START RANT

I for one would happily pay $1.00 for a first-class stamp if the USPS would put an end to presorted and postal pardon mail! Or how about a option to only recieve 1st class mail in my mailbox. I think the postal service servers an important function, but 90% of the things I pull out of the box go straight into the trash/shreadder.

END RANT

The only way I see the weekly mags surviving is with digital delivery. I already get a biweekly delivered that way.-

^I'm old school. I like having paper to read from for magazines and books. It's the total experience vs just reading something.

What are the periodical delivery times now though? I bet they are around that general timeframe now.
Back when I go Newsweek, it was a day, I believe, maybe two. That was a few years back, though. That magazine is a shell of its former self.

I'm one of those paper readers myself. Gotta have a book or magazine, not a tablet or computer.

I think the title of this thread has it backwards.

the decline of printed mail is what is killing the Post Office...

just sayin'

Back