WHY USC shouldn't play in the NCG!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-Loose

Reaction score
If there are 3 undefeated teams (USC, Oklahoma, SEC team), USC should not get in due to their weak schedule. While they could not have foreseen their conference breaking down like it has and ND an OSU being as bad as they are, USC should not get in by default. I think that if LSU wins out they will jump SC in the polls. If USC slips up and loses or even barly wins they will probably drop to number 3 at least. Do fret though USC fans you will probably still be voted #1 at the end by the AP's West Coast biased poll.

If there are 3 undefeated teams (USC, Oklahoma, SEC team), USC should not get in due to their weak schedule. While they could not have foreseen their conference breaking down like it has and ND an OSU being as bad as they are, USC should not get in by default. I think that if LSU wins out they will jump SC in the polls. If USC slips up and loses or even barly wins they will probably drop to number 3 at least. Do fret though USC fans you will probably still be voted #1 at the end by the AP's West Coast biased poll.
Ha, I don't think I've ever seen to many people claim a west coast bias in the polls.

I think speculating about the NCG is a little premature at this point in the season, yes if USC wins out it will be tough to unseat them as #1 despite a 'weak schedule'. Keep in mind they lost to Stanford last season, there are plenty of opportunities for them to lose. You have to give them credit, they did come to the east coast to play Virginia and they played Ohio State, so they aren't shying away from out of conference opponents. Yes, Virgina sucks and Ohio State wasn't as good as they were billed to be, but USC is taking all comers.

I'm sure the SEC will have a representative in the NCG. It would take a nuclear holocaust to keep that from happening with the way the media falls all over the SEC. Talk about media bias. Sheesh.

USC is always the beneficiary... Somehow they keep getting voted #1. In the past few years, it is has been a trend to push USC to the top. I can't understand why. Who did USC beat this season.. a lowly Virginia and an equally lowly OSU. USC/OSU game was touted as the most awaited game and turned out to be a blowout so USC is the best team in the land!!! Guess what, Forida ad LSU kicked OSU in NC game past two years. Just because it was an overhyped game and USC wins in a blowout doesn't mean they are the best. OSU shouldn't have been ranked in top ten to begin with.

Let's decide it on the field let them play one of the SEC teams (Florida, LSU, Georgia) for the NC. It's too early to predict but as is with SEC every team spoils others' party....

There are no top tier or top-middle tier teams in Pac-10. SEC is full of such teams. Heck even Vandy is ranked now...

I agree that the media bias is towards the SEC and not the west coast. However, this year it is justified. the SEC is strong with depth and all other conferences seem to be really down.

So if a team emerges from the SEC without being too beat up, it will probably be in the hunt. But it is too early to say.

What if Notre Dame and Ohio State turn things around and both finish top ten teams? (I don't think that will happen but just sayin') Then USC has a great schedule.

What if Missouri tromps all over Oklahoma? I think that very well may happen, the Missouri has an argument.

I say we need the PLUS ONE game, not a playoff, but the PLUS ONE.

OSU could likely win out and finish a top 10 team. Wisconsin and PSU are the two biggest challenges there, Wisconsin usually flops, and OSU will have Pryor starting the rest of the year and will have Wells back at RB.

As much as I hate USC, the SEC are the ones who always get the bump at the end of the year. How else do you explain a two-loss team that loses late in the season playing in the national championship?

^ I can't chirp too loudly, being a Big 10er. . .but lets not forget Mich State w/ Javon Ringer this season running the Big 10 table - or at least being a stumbling block to OSU. Penn St. could be legit this year too.

ABOSU!!

Don't worry G-Loose, the winner of the SEC will be in the NCG this season. And if that's the case I were an SEC fan I'd want to face the weakest opponent possible. :)

The SEC is strong with depth and all other conferences seem to be really down.
Mississippi State University. Bringing SEC football down since 2001.

That being said, I'd definitely wait on the "If LSU goes undefeated" talk. I think LSU will have at least two losses this year, and possibly three.

Mississippi State University. Bringing SEC football down since 2001.
Don't say that! I need to tell myself that MSU is a respectable team with a good defense that Georgia Tech's backup quarterback walked all over on Saturday. MSU isn't that bad, GT is just that good, right? ;)

That being said, I'd definitely wait on the "If LSU goes undefeated" talk. I think LSU will have at least two losses this year, and possibly three.
So what happens at the end of the season if all the SEC teams have two losses, but USC, OSU and Oklahoma are undefeated? Would an SEC team in the NCG?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have noticed that some SEC teams, for example UGA, are always much stronger at the end of the season than the beginning. Right now I dont think UGA could beat USC, but I think at the end of the season they could take em down. You would think the wearing down of getting beat up on by the likes of Florida, LSU, and this year Alabama, would hurt more than help, but it always seems to make them stronger.

I think the current BCS is a joke and the NCG is a fraud, but I try and just enjoy the games, LSU/ Auburn was a great game, this week, UGA / Bama should be pretty good to. Maybe I dont watch that many other conferences but you dont seem to get the quality matchups week in week out like you do in the sec (or at least not the last couple of years)

again I did enjoy seeing the petrino razorbacks continue to get pummled, no offense to Arkansas, its more of an enjoymnet factor for seeign Petrino taking some lumps.. of course I am sure there will be another job offer for him by the end of the season

I have noticed that some SEC teams, for example UGA, are always much stronger at the end of the season than the beginning. Right now I dont think UGA could beat USC, but I think at the end of the season they could take em down. You would think the wearing down of getting beat up on by the likes of Florida, LSU, and this year Alabama, would hurt more than help, but it always seems to make them stronger.
Sadly I have also noticed that UGAy gets stronger as the season goes on. GT on the other hand does the opposite. They come out of the gate strong and fade down the stretch. I don't think it's coincidence that it's been a while since GT has beaten UGA and they play they play each other the last weekend of the season every year. :(

I think a lot of it has to do with depth. UGA, and other large programs are able to recruit a lot of top quality athletes. As the season goes on and players get hurt, the good schools have pretty talented players behind them to substitute in. The smaller programs may have talented starters, but the backups aren't going to be as good, and by the end of the year every team is going to be playing some of their back-ups on a regular basis.

All I can say ....
gator.gif

'Nuf said.

JR

Last edited:
Don't worry G-Loose, the winner of the SEC will be in the NCG this season. And if that's the case I were an SEC fan I'd want to face the weakest opponent possible. :)
I can't think of why the SEC would really want to butt heads against the premiere team of the Pac-10. that's all that university does is football!

Schedule easy or not, USC is crazy good to an almost minor-league level. They're not a team to look forward to playing against - the SEC best just leave that dog unprovoked; better for the Big 12 / Big 10 to fight that fight - now let it rain :poop:

Non-conference games are scheduled far in advance so you can only guess at how good the team will be. USC at least tried to schedule some competitive non-conference games: UVA, OSU, Notre Dame. LSU loaded their non-conference schedule with cupcakes: Appalachian State, Troy, North Texas, Tulane.

I doubt it will matter though, I don't think LSU is going undefeated.

well recently Notre Dame = Tulane or even the Citadel. :true: But I agree LSU picked some cupcakes.

UGA's schedule from here on out is one of the worst ones I have seen for a college team though.

well recently Notre Dame = Tulane or even the Citadel. :true: But I agree LSU picked some cupcakes.
UGA's schedule from here on out is one of the worst ones I have seen for a college team though.
That schedule is rough.
agreedfs6.gif
Every year its the same hype for Notre Dame. The year they almost beat USC with Brady Quinn, the best they've had in recent memory, I still thought they were overrated (Quinn too). Golden Tate is one good receiver though.

Oh, and can you add this smiley
agreedfs6.gif

That schedule is rough.
agreedfs6.gif
Every year its the same hype for Notre Dame. The year they almost beat USC with Brady Quinn, the best they've had in recent memory, I still thought they were overrated (Quinn too). Golden Tate is one good receiver though.

Oh, and can you add this smiley
agreedfs6.gif
2005. And they really shoulda been given the 'W' for that game, as Reggie Bush was illegally pushed or helped into endzone by his teammate.

Only thing more hyped than Notre Dame nowadays is Charlie Weiss.

Don't say that! I need to tell myself that MSU is a respectable team with a good defense that Georgia Tech's backup quarterback walked all over on Saturday. MSU isn't that bad, GT is just that good, right? ;)
I didn't mean to take anything away from GT. Not at all. They played a solid game. Also, like it or not, we held Auburn to 3 points, which LSU took to the wire to win. While we are the weakest team in the conference (wow, that hurt to type), we're not a Duke or a North Texas. We're still an SEC team, and still have (for the most part) SEC talent. GT played a clean, smart game. Of course, y'all have been to a bowl what, 10 out of the last 11 years?

So, that wasn't an SEC bias "yeah, well we suck, so there" comment. The way GT is playing, I think they could hang with most (but not all) of the SEC teams.

So what happens at the end of the season if all the SEC teams have two losses, but USC, OSU and Oklahoma are undefeated? Would an SEC team in the NCG?
I'm an SEC fan, but I'm not an SEC homer. Well, not too big of one anyway.

I do think we're the best conference, top to bottom. That's not to say there aren't other good teams out there that could hang with our "top". And we (MSU) couldn't compete with the middle of a lot of the BCS conferences right now.

But, with the way our teams play, I think it's hard to make an argument against an SEC team in the NCG if they go undefeated. However, if there are two undefeated teams outside of the SEC, and the SEC Champion has a loss, it's hard to argue for them. Like it or not, we (SEC) agreed to this BCS crap, so we take it when it benefits us, and also when it doesn't.

The way Georgia was playing at the end of the year last year, I don't think either of the NCG teams could have beaten them. Les Miles should be happy his "damned strong" football team got to play Tennessee for the SECCG.

Oh, and on a side note, I don't think any team is playing on the level of USC right now. They are that good.

But, who knows what will happen in January?

I predict that the SEC will be on the outside looking in for the NCG this year. Georgia has too much schedule, and I doubt they make it out without a loss. Our next best shot is Florida. But, I think both of those teams will have at least one loss.

Georgia has too much schedule, and I doubt they make it out without a loss.
If Georgia goes undefeated, they should not only get in the Championship, but that Knowshon guy MUST get the Heisman.

I've seen him pull two crazy ass "jump over the top of people" plays already. Those kind of plays on the highlight reels is what wins a Heisman.

Back