Why does my license expire this year?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agony28

Reaction score
Hi, I passed all exams last Friday. Today I searched my name on license lookup and found my number, however the expiration date of my license says December 31, 2023. Is this normal? I thought licenses were good for 2 yrs. Also my county is incorrect. Should I contact BPELSG? Or is this something that resolves itself? Thanks

Hi, I passed all exams last Friday. Today I searched my name on license lookup and found my number, however the expiration date of my license says December 31, 2023. Is this normal? I thought licenses were good for 2 yrs. Also my county is incorrect. Should I contact BPELSG? Or is this something that resolves itself? Thanks
First, this is how it works almost for all states. The renewal cycle for each state is specific month and day( end of specific month. For example Texas is 6/30) so first year no matter when you get your license to make you go on the cycle you will be ending up to renew ( somehow I don’t get why they don’t give us like a year and something instead of just couple of month). Anyways, so you renew by December then you will be good for next two years. BTW, I got licensed actually recently for California as my second state and I got to end of year as well. So you are good.
Regarding your address, that one is important. I guess you can change address or edit it on connect website.( I’m new to it as well so not sure how yet). If not, for sure contact board to fix it for you.I don’t think county is that important if your whole address is right but anyways, IMO contact them to fix it

Bad timing. You should have waited till January to pass the exam. Good news is you don't need continuing education PDEs.

This is normal because all engineering licenses end at the same time as opposed to having 4 different expiration periods over a two year span. If you look at the rules/regulations, your initial license fee and required continuing education credits is usually modified based on when you get your license within the normal 2 year cycle.

Mine wasn't modified. I had to pay the full price for just 5 months. The other state gave me 2 months for free. Still down 24-(5-2)=21 months.

Back