Why continue to censor?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will begin by stating that I fully understand and agree with the confidentiality aspect of this process. BUT, what I continue to have a problem with is that manner of which our specific proctor/spokesperson communicates the information concerning the "agreement". I went through several stabs at the FE, and now having taken my first shot at the PE with the same group of proctors presiding over the testing, and know what is coming, it still doesn't sit well with me the manner in which they tell you, "If you have a problem with what I just read, you might as well pack your little crap up and hit the door fool, 'cause them's the rules"-of course, in different terminology. Just the non-conformist side of me, I guess. I believe you can tactfully communicate expectations without being critical or overly demanding and still receive good results. That's my two cents worth.

I will begin by stating that I fully understand and agree with the confidentiality aspect of this process. BUT, what I continue to have a problem with is that manner of which our specific proctor/spokesperson communicates the information concerning the "agreement". I went through several stabs at the FE, and now having taken my first shot at the PE with the same group of proctors presiding over the testing, and know what is coming, it still doesn't sit well with me the manner in which they tell you, "If you have a problem with what I just read, you might as well pack your little crap up and hit the door fool, 'cause them's the rules"-of course, in different terminology. Just the non-conformist side of me, I guess. I believe you can tactfully communicate expectations without being critical or overly demanding and still receive good results. That's my two cents worth.
Did they read the policy off of their proctor instructions or did they editorialize? If the NCEES is employing people to proctor the exam that are not following the policy and instructions, then I'm sure they would like to know. You should file a complaint.

If they were just reading the policy, and that is what you disagree with, perhaps you should change career fields to one that does not require a PE.

I just filled out a survey from NCEES about the test and they asked some questions about the test administration. There was a place for comments at the end.

Though I understand the goal of protecting NCESS copyrighted material and strongly support protecting intellectual property(IP), using censorship as a means to achieve it is deplorable in itself. Surely there must be a way to protect IP without muzzling speech.

There is an ominous feeling of being behind the "great firewall of china" especially knowing that the FE thread and many parts of this site is still being censored.

I'm confused as to what it is that is bothering you so much. What is it exactly that you want changed? What is your proposed solution to the "problem"?

1) Finding a way to protect IP without suppressing speech.

2) The FE/EIT thread is still locked.
Protect NCEES IP by resisting the temptation to talk about the test, and protect your IP by registering and browsing through a proxy.

I thought the head proctor just read aloud what you can easily read yourself before going to the exam (the candidate agreement). No?

....or do you not mean the content, you mean the delivery? I agree, it's a little "rough". But I never gave it much thought, I just figured it's par for the course.

I believe I read on the NCEES website back when I took the exam (2008) that they re-use somewhere between 25-30% of the questions from exam to exam. These problems are modified only slightly from test to test (different numbers, or solve for a different variable with the same equation, etc). They use these specific problems to help set a "baseline" for comparison between administrations to help maintain a consistent difficulty level without reusing the entire exam. I'm not sure if it's the same 25-30% for all exams, but at least that much of your exam was seen on the previous version.

One has to wonder why someone would want to reveal a specific question. All I could come up with is:

1. The person is peeved at the scope of the question (not within the particular field of study)

2. The person is peeved at the difficulty of the question.

3. The person feels the question is unanswerable.

4. The person wants to show everyone how smart they are.

5. The person is a rabble-rouser or anarchist.

6. The person wants to profit in some way.

Numbers 1 and 2 may be publicly discussed without revealing the exact question. And unless you feel, after getting your results, that you failed by one or two questions, is it worth going any further than that?

Numbers 4-6 don't need any further discussion. So we're left with number 3. Again, unless you fail by 1-2 questions, why bother. If you decide to take it further, complain to your state board.

On the other hand, the dictatorship that NCEES has is not absolute. While getting a PE from your state is a privilege, everyone must be treated fairly by the state under the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment. The right to petition the government for redress of grievances also applies, since NCEES is acting as a proxy for your state government. The posters here who have inferred we have no standing to question them or their procedures, "live by our rules or get out" notwithstanding, are just plain wrong.

If you have a hard time with this, make sure that you don't try to get a job at a place with a non-compete clause. But seriously, how is it any different then any other set of rules... chances are the rules were created for specific reasons, which you may or may not be privileged enough to knowing why... weather or not you agree with them, or understand why they are there... if you signed it, then you are bound to that clause.

WITH that said, if you really feel like you need to complain and question weather your rights were violated then I am sure you can through the proper channels. Chances are, if you are persistent enough, you will receive a professional reply stating why they feel that they weren't.

To the original poster: Did you try this line with all your college professors, prior to your exams? I mean, as long as the exam questions were written ahead of time, then surely your right to free speech should have allowed you to force them to divulge the questions prior to your exam?

Give me a break. It's an exam. You're NOT supposed to know what is on it until it is taken. Play fair, like everyone else.

OR ---- maybe NCEES would be willing to develop all-new, unique questions for the exam every cycle. Then the exam would probably cost you $1000 or more per shot, in order to cover development costs for the relatively small number exam takers.

^Not to mention offer the test on a far less frequent basis.

Because, you know, it's super easy to generate, review, and sample test 80-100 brand new questions every 6 months.

So be ready to pay $1000 and only be able to take it once every 18 months or so. Still sound good?

I like it!!! It would reduce the number of future PEs out there making us already licensed more valuable and the likelyhood of getting us more money!!!

alright I think we beat this one to death... time to move along, nothing to see here!

Back