Why are you an Engineer, and more importantly....

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got into it because a) I didn't know of anything else I was good at, and B) a vast interest in all things automotive led me to believe mechanical engineering was the way to go. Now I'm a Welding Engineer, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd either be a lawyer or a psychiatrist.
<<< I concur. Except for the whole lawyer or psychiatrist thing. I was aiming for med school before it became very apparent that I was not good with blood.

if i had to do it again id go into funny car racing. marryin' into one the families with a big checkbook and going 300mph in 1000'.

if that didnt work out Id sell myself for money.

if i had to do it again id go into funny car racing. marryin' into one the families with a big checkbook and going 300mph in 1000'.

if that didnt work out Id sell myself for money.
That's a gimme, but it's easier said than done!

If I could do it all over again, I'd be the guy that trains those NCEES carrier pigeons to circumnavigate the globe with the PE scantron results before releasing them to state boards....they gotta make crazy money.

I worked with piping a lot with my Dad, he was a pipefitter (retired). I wanted to get into the same trade, but be on the designing side as I saw how many young engineers there were that were uneducated on how the piping actually fit together.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have taken my classes more seriously in high school. I could have had a lot more fun in college if I was better prepared.

Also, I might have actually considered explosive engineering. BOOM GOES THE DYNO-MITE!

I followed a boy into the engineering program...

I toyed with the idea of being a teacher. I'm pretty sure the amount of human interaction that requires would exhaust me.

I was originally a Geology major. We all know how THOSE guys turn out.

I wouldn't change anythingm, Mechanical has fit me very well. Like Fuller stated above, the things I've learned in life allow me to actually know how to do stuff and contribute to the physical world. I've always been a good sketch artist, and was considering Architecture while in college. I'm glad I didn't, those guys work mad hours, and I like my 40 schedge. Plus, I get to like sketch every day at work on a whiteboard, and make little diagrams and sh!t here and there. Might consider tattooing if things ever get slow. It's your life GJ, turn it into what ever you want.

No kidding on the architecture guys. One of my suite mates at Ohio State was an architecture major, was out working on assignments until absurd hours almost nightly. After getting his degree, he ended up leaving the field very shortly thereafter and went to med school.

I originally wanted to get into structural dismantlement (ie, demolition) and reckoned that to not be a gopher, I better get a degree in civil / structural. I've enjoyed putting facilities together and there are times where I've really considered moving back towards the demolition field; but I enjoy where I'm at. it's been a good fit thus far.

I doubt that I'd change it if I could; I've had a good career and life thus far!

I fell into Engineering; if I could do my life over again, I'd probably do Engineering the *easy* way, through college (with a Master's), rather than skipping college. If I didn't do Engineering, I'd become a Civil Rights-oriented lawyer or a pastor.

^^^Well, I could have gotten just a geology degree to do that, but I added engineering for the fatty money.
Arrr!

ARRR!

I fell into Engineering; if I could do my life over again, I'd probably do Engineering the *easy* way, through college (with a Master's), rather than skipping college. If I didn't do Engineering, I'd become a Civil Rights-oriented lawyer or a pastor.
:eek:rlyflag:

All the majors at my school looked lame except engineering. That and I flunked out of architecture.

We didn't have to declare a discipline until sophomore year, but I was leaning mechanical going into college. Then physics kicked my butt. I did well in chemistry and figure the rules and regs would only get tighter, so envl seemed like a good idea at the time. 10+ years later, I'm a site civil.

If I didn't go into engineering I would have either gone into culinary arts or something involving animals, preferably dogs. Wait a sec...I should be a dog food chef!

^^^Well, I could have gotten just a geology degree to do that, but I added engineering for the fatty money.
Arrr!

ARRR!
:wub:
G-19.gif

Back