Which Pen to use for Signatures on Mylars

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about color photocopiers?

I don't know... a signature seems a ridiculous way to prove authenticity. How about an electronic signature which includes a date stamp? Or maybe a database from the State that lets you query on every time your license number was tied to a submission.

^^ Everything can be forged. The most dangerous situation is when you seal many (say, 25) items a week. How can you prove you have design control over every single thing you seal when you're putting jobs out like that?

I personally don't like electronic seals. So, I never have used them.

I was just giving tips to protect your seal.

Last edited by a moderator:
black/blue/red the ink color doesn't matter. IMHO, It can be easily determined if your looking at an original or a copy. We always send the original signature out to the client.

Using blue ink makes the difference more readily apparent, but given today's color copiers, really doesn't protect against much.

my :2cents:

black/blue/red the ink color doesn't matter. IMHO, It can be easily determined if your looking at an original or a copy. We always send the original signature out to the client.
Using blue ink makes the difference more readily apparent, but given today's color copiers, really doesn't protect against much.

my :2cents:
I was thinking the same thing. Seems you could accomplish the same thing with using a pressed stamp instead of rubberstamp, right?

I think signing in blue ink must be a government thing. I had never heard about it until I started working for the state. But what we do is sign the original in blue ink, then copy it and give the copy to anyone else who wants it. That way we have control over something with a blue ink signature on it. I'm not convinced it makes any difference, because if somebody really wanted to forge something, they could. I suppose they could white out the photocopied signature, then forge over it, or something. I can tell the difference between blue ink and a blue copy much easier than black ink and a black copy, but maybe that's just me.

I think it's relatively easy to tell if a stamp/signature is the original, or some sort of attempt at forgery. First, it's pretty rare that a set of drawigns or calcs can be used in exactly the same manner for a new project. At a minimum, there's got to be some cutting and pasting involved.

In the several dozen times that I have caught a forgery (), I could either see the the lines on the photocopy where the detail or stamp had been physically cut & pasted into a new sheet, or I could just tell by the quality. As a recent example, I saw a color photocopy of an engineer's seal (with blue ink sig!) that had been digitally pasted onto the new drawing. However, there was obvious pixellation of the seal and sig, so I phoned the engineer to confirm. Sure enough, he had no knowledge that his stamp was being used again by his client on another set of drawings.

I always sign in blue ink and stamp in red...

At my current company electronic stamps are not allowed.

One of my supervisors here used to work for a rebar company as one of the head engineers there. Well, it turned out some of the staff there didn't like waiting for his approval so they would go and grab his stamp and forge his signature... When he found out he blew a gasket (I think they should have been fired, but probably weren't) and he now locks up his stamp...

Of course that didn't stop them from taking his business cards and attaching them to documents to make it look like he had approved it... He blew another gasket over that one as well...

He's the one that advised me to use a blue signature with a red stamp...

Some people just don't understand the responsibility and liability inolved, or just don't care.

Back