Where to start?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidPE

Reaction score
I am taking the April 2013 exam, and I started studying last night. I've compiled a number of references suggested here, and the only thing I still need to get (that I know of) are the practice exams.

Anyway, my plan was to start with the EERM, the book of practice problems that go with the EERM, and the solved problems book (Schneiter), and go through them together chapter by chapter reading and working problems. Last night, I skipped the first 13 chapters (math) and went right to chapter 14, Fluid Properties.

Is this the right place to start? Are there density, specifc gravity, viscosity, etc questions on the exam, or should I skip this chapter? Are there other chapters in the EERM that I should skip over?

Thanks very much, I appreciate the advice!

I'd skip the generic engineering chapters and go right for the Enviro content. A lot of the sample (and exam) problems will test your knowledge of these basic principles, but more topic-specific, so that's a more efficient way to study.

Don't forget to spend a little extra time just reading (and tabbing) - the test is about half non-quantitative questions, if I remember correctly, so you will need to have all the info fresh in your head (or where to find it).

Good luck!

Thanks very much!

I only have only been at this for two nights, but man am I overwhelmed! I've been out of school for 13 years, and I forgot just how much I hated studying. I flipped through the EERM chapters that seem relevent to the test, as well as the problem book, and the amount of stuff that you have to learn is really discouraging.

I've read that the EERM problems are much harder than the test. I ordered the NCEES problem book, so hopefully I won't feel so bad once I can see the types of questions to expect. Otherwise...I don't know!

The ENVRM is more of a condensed guide or principles and tables and equations rather than a source to teach yourself topics you are unfamiliar with. Useful, but it covers lots of general topics that have nothing to do with the exam.

What I did was go through practice problems, and read my texts based on what I ran into there. Those were the books I took with me to the exam.

Get the NCEES suggested references and use them along with any other references you think will help.

I've noticed the exam relies heavily on those practice question references.

Take School of PE (or another refresher course) since you've been away for awhile. Expensive but worth it I feel.

Good Luck.

"You can do it" Rob Schneider quote. Water Boy right?

The review courses are worth it. Although I felt the NC State one I took wasn't the best, it helped immensely on the qualitative/look-up questions in the binder of notes I printed from it. I feel that's the major value in the review courses. Then you can drill the practice problems. Use the NCEES practice exam to ramp up to the harder ones in the other problems-solutions books. I found Schneiter's 101 problems the most challenging, and least like the actual exam. But, if you can get through Schneiter and understand the solutions, you've basically mastered nearly anything you'll see...but do more air problems (cooper & alley has great practice PE problems).

There is really little need to drag 1000s of pages of regs when the review courses and reference books (like La Grega...that book was BOSS!) highlight the important pieces of the regulations, pertinent to our field. The consolidated advice thread is awesome! Check it out!

And seriously, do more air problems. Air and water are the biggies, and most any other questions are related to that. Once you're comfy there, do Haz Waste/Landfills. Then again, I come from an HTRW background so maybe that's why I needed more study in the air and water areas.

What Dleg said...you'll get the basic engineering stuff and the conversions by working the more specific problems. Much better practice.

I have come a long, long way since I posted back in January...I have never studied this much in my life. I think I've made it through everything I need to cover, and now I'm reviewing everything again and trying to get quicker at the topics I think I'm most likely to see. My weakest area is chemistry, by far.

Anyway, this morning I'm working on some Water problems, and I'm wondering about type II settling. Do you think these would be a low-probablilty problem for the exam?

Yeah, it could show up. You just never know. You've got some good time left, so I would focus on your weaknesses now.

It sounds like you are on the right track, though! Good luck!

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I really hope there aren't too many surprises, but I guess you can't worry too much about that.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I really hope there aren't too many surprises, but I guess you can't worry too much about that.

Some problems left me scratching my head thinking I will never be a PE, while other problems had me scratching my head wondering if this was a high school freshman science class midterm.

The exam topics aren't all over the place but so is the difficulty level.

One thing that I will say is that the exam is actually very straightforward and there are no trick questions.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back