Where to start studying... (PE Power)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Graffeo book was helpful in the April 2014 exam also. It's a good supplement to some of the other references. I took in the Grainger/Stevenson book but did not need it. I actually ordered the Wildi book after I took the April exam. The explanations are very clear and if I had not passed I do think it would have been helpful. Awhile back another forum member listed relevant chapters. Worth searching for that. No need to plow through the entire book.

I made notes and a couple of 3 ring binders. Funny thing is I didn't really use them much. By writing out everything and copying it from my books, I knew exactly what book to look in versus searching my notes.

One other thing. I don't recommend spending to much time on the NESC. What's in the GA Tech course should be sufficient along with reviewing the NESC's table of contents and introduction. GA Tech's NEC section is also pretty good in that it tells you key areas to study. The best source for the NEC is Complex Imaginary's Electrical Code Drill Book. It has 300 drill problems which will familiarize you with the NEC Code. The intro also gives you a very simple but effective strategy for reducing the time it takes to find an answer. I only had time to work about 100 but was still well prepared for the PE's NEC questions.

Regarding the Grainger book, I actually found an older edition of the book that was only written by Grainger (no Stevenson). O found that book to be much more helpful than the more recent edition. If you search here a bit I believe I referenced the exact book in another thread.

Finally make sure you read spin-Up's intro where it tells you a great strategy on efficenty working through test problems.

One other thing. I don't recommend spending to much time on the NESC. What's in the GA Tech course should be sufficient along with reviewing the NESC's table of contents and introduction. GA Tech's NEC section is also pretty good in that it tells you key areas to study. The best source for the NEC is Complex Imaginary's Electrical Code Drill Book. It has 300 drill problems which will familiarize you with the NEC Code. The intro also gives you a very simple but effective strategy for reducing the time it takes to find an answer. I only had time to work about 100 but was still well prepared for the PE's NEC questions.
The CI NEC Drill book was worthwhile too. I found the problems to be of the same difficulty as the Oct 2014 PE and very helpful for studying that part of test.

I am feeling a little overwhelmed. I just dropped a lot of money on all these books but I'm not sure where to start. I am planning on sitting for the April 2015 exam for Electrical Power.

I have the following books in my possession:

- The Electrical Engineers Guide to Passing the Power PE Exam - Graffeo

- 2014 NEC Handbook with tabs

- 2012 NESC

- PPI Power Reference Manual - Camara (EPRM)

- Power System Analysis - Grainger & Stevenson

- Electrical Machines, Drives and Power Systems - Wilidi

- Spin-up - 5 Sample Exams

- NCEES Power Sample Questions

- Complex Imaginary Vol. 1-4

- Homemade binder with tabs for each topic on the exam

I just don't know where to begin. Should I start working practice problems? Do I really need to read all these books from cover to cover? How do I know what reference material to put in my binder?

Should I work practice problems in the books themselves or on seperate notebook paper?

Basically I am looking for guidance as to where to start studying. Please help...
I don't understand.... why not to take the October 2014 one first, instead of giving a really long shot for April 2015.....

I don't understand.... why not to take the October 2014 one first, instead of giving a really long shot for April 2015.....

Well for one thing, I didn't find out that I passed the FE until July 10th, 2014. By this time, the registration for approval for the state I am taking the PE (Ohio) was already closed for the October exam.

Second, I posted that in early August, shortly after getting most of my study materials in the mail. That is not nearly enough time for me to prepare for this exam. Between working full time, having a wife who also works full time and attending school for her masters, and a 20 month old kid at home, my time is limited. Most of my studying takes place at work during slow periods, at lunch, or staying later after work. I figured giving myself 8+ month to study will be my best bet for passing the first time (I hope). I try pacing myself to about an 1-2 hours per day worth of studying.

I have completed the GA Tech Review course, 40 questions out the NCEES Sample exam, all 5 Spin-Up exams, all 4 Complex Imaginary exams, and I am just starting the Complex Imaginary NEC Drill book today. I am pretty happy with the references I have and continue adding information to my homemade binder. But I still feel like there is a lot of work to do before I feel confident in taking the exam. I have about 4.5 months left to prepare.

Well for one thing, I didn't find out that I passed the FE until July 10th, 2014. By this time, the registration for approval for the state I am taking the PE (Ohio) was already closed for the October exam.

Second, I posted that in early August, shortly after getting most of my study materials in the mail. That is not nearly enough time for me to prepare for this exam. Between working full time, having a wife who also works full time and attending school for her masters, and a 20 month old kid at home, my time is limited. Most of my studying takes place at work during slow periods, at lunch, or staying later after work.

I can't imagine why feel you busy ;-)

Why are you taking Ohio, your location is listed as Pittsburgh?

Just another thought for you...CI has a bunch of videos on their website that are free and make for a nice break or lunch time viewing, not putting pencil to paper, but the info was worthwhile and straight to the point

I can't imagine why feel you busy ;-)
Why are you taking Ohio, your location is listed as Pittsburgh?
Haha, tell me about it!

Well to make a long story short, I am originally from Ohio (NE), but moved to Pittsburgh (SW PA) after I graduated college. It's only about an hour away. I passed the FE in the state of PA. However, Pennsylvania requires 4 years of experience AFTER receiving the passing score for the FE. In Ohio, there is no such law... you only need 4 years of experience and to have passed the FE at some point. I passed the FE in July '14. I have 6 years of experience. So I can sit for the exam in Ohio, get licensed there, and apply for reciprocity in PA after my 4 years waiting period, but at least I won't have to take the exam again. I figured it was best to get the exam over and done with now while I am still in study mode from the FE.

I was informed of this "loophole" by an instructor of an FE review course.

Just another thought for you...CI has a bunch of videos on their website that are free and make for a nice break or lunch time viewing, not putting pencil to paper, but the info was worthwhile and straight to the point
Thanks for the info! I was unaware of that. I'll definitely check them out.

Another thing, after been talking to a few test takers (Oct cycle), understanding how to use NEC code book. You will be surprised a lot of EEs graduated never open a NEC book before.

Another thing, after been talking to a few test takers (Oct cycle), understanding how to use NEC code book. You will be surprised a lot of EEs graduated never open a NEC book before.
The IAEI has a series of study guides available for there electrical inspector program. They are more advanced than mike holt books and hold your hand less but will leave you with a superior code knowledge base. I also memorized the NEC table of contents to save time. It also helps you know where to look for anwsers.

I use the NEC code book at work in the construction design field that I'm in. But I also bought the Complex Imaginary NEC Drill book. So far I've worked through 75 of those problems. I don't know if I'll bother going through all 300, as I am already feeling pretty confident in code related questions.

The complex imaginary code drill is pretty boring, but I actually forced my way thru it twice. I did 25 problems a night and it was not too bad.

Back