Where to "park" your rainy fund?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Power12-- Where are you getting 10% today and still have liquidity? Your arithmetic is correct if you can get 10%-- I sure in the hell don't know where it is at-- and I have been looking.

I would keep it in cash-- maybe the .82% at the bank-- I know, not the wisest way, however, I want to be able to touch the $100K if I need to. Yes, the car is paid for, the house is currently a rental, however, we will probably build/buy a smaller house in the future. I have all of the toys that I need/want-- sure, could by some things, however, bought a new mandolin the other day and have had fun with it. I know, a boring engineer's life.

The only place to get a good return today is the stock market, but you need to have the tolerance for risk. If you need the liquidity in an emergency, it may take a few days to get the cash. Open up an online brokerage account, link the brokerage account to a bank account to allow timely electronic transfer of funds. That is how you get the "potential" for high returns and be as close to liquidity. The drawback is you must accept the fluctuations in the market and not panic. Time is on your side, unless you are in retirement or close to it. Don't invest in the fad stocks like google, facebook, etc, they do not pay dividends (High risk, high return). They are risky and your return is solely dependent on stock price. Don't invest in the stocks that do not increase in price, but return a dividend (Low risk, low return). You should focus on the stocks that do both, a nice dividend and constant price increase (Moderate risk, Moderate return). This is usually your balanced approach, nice dividend and some price increase.

You should focus on the stocks that do both, a nice dividend and constant price increase (Moderate risk, Moderate return). This is usually your balanced approach, nice dividend and some price increase.
What you like to name some of those stocks?

we bought ADM stock last yr that was giving nice dividends and was relatively affordable to the avg joe. I don't have the exact details as mr snick deals with it but it was way better than interest rate on any savings account. I think the dividend were ranging btwn 20 and 40 bucks a quarter on $5k.

Wow...i was out for a few days, we are talking about building man made island and volcano!

So, what's are the good moderate risk stocks that pay out dividends? I am thinking about Corning Stock since they are big in gorilla glass and their new bendable glass willow should be out soon.

My rainy fund is very flexible. I have some extra cash laying in checking acc anyway for 2-3 months worth. So, I can afford to move the funds out and can afford to wait for a few days if I need it. At present, majority of my funds are in high yield saving 0.85%!!! lol, and some in stocks. (like 15% in stock)

ADM stock is pretty high now...almost their peak 52 weeks..have to wait for the market correction before invest

Last edited by a moderator:
^That it is. Mr snick sold it and made a nice little profit. He will buy it again when the price comes down. Their stocks are very cyclic in nature.

I like the idea buying property in midwest...but I have a bad taste in the mouth on real estate investment...it's a like damn dead weight! Maybe in east coast...

oh the other hand, maybe I should move the fund to Cyprus bank

Farm land in the midwest then? BUt then you have to deal with local farmers to farm it for you and not all of them are that generous with the crop earnings.

Wow...i was out for a few days, we are talking about building man made island and volcano!
If the worst sidetrack this topic takes is island building and volcanoes we are doing well. ;)

seeing that we're talking about money, this is entirely on topic.

Dollar-Bikini---24962.jpg

You could always invest in boobs...

Unfortunately, once you buy one set, you can't really buy any more without losing 1/2 of what you have to the 1st set through the divorce...

I'd make sure when you buy property it is near someone you know and trust to kind of keep an eye on it for you. I'd also check on some sort of Liability insurance, damn tresspassers get hurt on your property and somehow it is your fault...If you buy crop ground, make a contract in writing with your farmer, otherwise you may get stuck with no way of proving what your share distribution is. You can cash rent it by the acre or do it in shares with the farmer, but make sure you decide upfront what you are doing...

true that about farm land. There is no way i can buy something if I'm not nearby to check it out or to bring girl to impressed them! LOL

got no money, give you headache got way, don't know where to put it...!

You could always invest in boobs...

Unfortunately, once you buy one set, you can't really buy any more without losing 1/2 of what you have to the 1st set through the divorce...
What if the first set were for your mistress?

I'd be hard pressed to invest in boobies without some sort of commitment. Those things are expensive, and even more expensive if you get divorced...

Our 8-months of living expenses are in our savings and checking accounts. Any net income beyond this goes to IRA, student loans, or mortgage. Simple.

Back