Where to "park" your rainy fund?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iwire

Reaction score
Let's say you have about $10k, $30k, or even $100k fund you saved up for rainy fund just in case...instead of putting it at high yield interest saving account which is about 0.85%, where is the best save place to invest your rainy fund instead of sitting around doing nothing? Should I?

1) Invest 50% into mutual funds and rest to saving?

2) Invest in CDs and saving?

3) high dividend stocks and saving?

Any idea would help me..

thanks

Depends on what you consider a "rainy day." I don't know anyone that needs $100k for a rainy day.

The way I look at a rainy day fund is, what do I do if I suddenly lose my job? Others may need to look at their income stream in general, wherever it comes from (spouse, child support, etc.)

Most advice I hear is to keep about 6 months of living expenses in your emergency fund. This is just expenses, since in a true emergency you wouldn't be putting money into your 401k, etc. This is a rule of thumb--if you think you might have a harder time finding a job then save more.

This emergency fund money should be easily accessible. You don't want it tied up in long-term CDs if you need to access it in an emergency. It really isn't a good idea to put emergency money into the stock market (either directly or through a mutual fund).... look at 2009. You could lose half your money in a week, and what if the fallout from that crash causes you to lose your job too? So it's best to keep this money in short term, low-risk assets like cash, money markets or short term CDs. I know this blows because the fed has driven interest rates so low, it's punishing savers. But the alternative is to risk the possibility of needing government assistance if you lose your job.

Once you've put aside enough for your emergency fund, then you can take on some more risk. I still wouldn't put money I need within 4-5 years into the stock market (it's taken 4 years for the Dow to recover from March 2009). But if it's money not earmarked for something specific (buying a car or a house or kids tuition) then I like high-yield dividend paying stocks (except banks). Since we're talking taxable accounts here, dividends still (for now) get favorable tax treatment over capital gains. Just make sure you're selecting stable companies, or look for a high-yield divided mutual fund.

I'll also note that I'll never have $100k laying around (unless I get a huge promotion) because I max out my retirement savings accounts first, both a 401k and Roth IRA.

Thanks guys. I guess I didn't plan into my retirement from the get-go. Somehow, i still have doubt in the 401k system. I have seen people lost their retirement funds from 401k before.

I'm not saying I have 100k laying around but at this current rate, I will reach there within 5 years...or less, My monthly expenses is pretty low. I was taught to save when i was a kid, never depending on any retirement thing since it's not a common thing where I was from.

Maxing out 401k or Roth will probably get me $10k a year total contribution, so that would take a long time to put the money away. As of now, I have it in so-called high yield saving and some high dividend stocks. Kid college fund is set aide in 529 plan already.

The max for pre-tax 401K per year is $17,500. If you have un-needed income, this should be the first place that you should max out, otherwise you lose out on the tax benefits to pre-tax 401K's. If you are 50 and older your max is $17,500 + $5,500 = $23,000 per year. Also if you have a company match for 401K make sure to maximize, otherwise you are throwing money away.

It is good to have an emergency fund, if you do not have one and have equity in your house it is good to get approved for a home equity line of credit that you can draw from incase of an emergency. The thing to remember is to get the line of credit in place prior to needing it. Only use it in "true" emergencies.

Now what to do with $100,000 that is laying around. If you have taken care of your emergency fund, and you are a long ways from retirement put it into the stock market such as mutual funds that track the S&P500. Keeping the money in the bank will make it lose value due to inflation and the lost opportunity from growth in investing it. If you invest $100,000 and get a return of 10% per year, your investment will grow at approx $833 per month (Two car payments). If you get a return of 5% per year your investment will grow at approx $417 per month. (One car payment). There is also compounding that happens to your money which will make the money grow in value and can lead to early retirement.(A good thing)

Power12-- Where are you getting 10% today and still have liquidity? Your arithmetic is correct if you can get 10%-- I sure in the hell don't know where it is at-- and I have been looking.

I would keep it in cash-- maybe the .82% at the bank-- I know, not the wisest way, however, I want to be able to touch the $100K if I need to. Yes, the car is paid for, the house is currently a rental, however, we will probably build/buy a smaller house in the future. I have all of the toys that I need/want-- sure, could by some things, however, bought a new mandolin the other day and have had fun with it. I know, a boring engineer's life.

I had my money in a "high-yield" savings account. It started at 6% about 6 years ago, and as the Fed continued to cut the prime rate, my yield continued to drop. It is currently at 0.2%.

I took about half of it 6 months ago, and put it in a managed account that is set up to be pretty conservative (some stocks, but mostly bonds and mutual funds). I recently stumbled across a local federal credit union that has a high-yield checking account that pays 2% as long as you have a direct deposit and 12 debit card purchases per month. I'm going to close the savings account and put the rest in that account.

It's hard to make any return on a FDIC insured account any more because the Federal Reserve can't keep their grubby hands off the prime interest rate, which is what dictates returns on almost all insured accounts.

You should invest in Cyprus:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323415304578366082331307780.html

Cyprus is finally getting a bailout, and what an instant classic of euro-crisis dysfunction it is. Nine months after Nicosia first requested a rescue, the deal that emerged Saturday is slapdash, short-sighted and manhandled by politics.

The novelty of Saturday's deal is that, for the first time in the euro crisis, depositors will contribute to the cost of recapitalizing banks. As we went to press, the plan was for Nicosia to extract €5.8 billion via a one-off 9.9% "stability levy" on deposits larger than €100,000 and a 6.75% levy on deposits smaller than that.

Oh, wait, maybe not.

It all depends on how "liquid" you want your rainy day funds. If you need it RIGHT NOW, even the high-yield savings accounts require 2-5 days to get you the money.

Honestly, if it were up to me, I would probably keep $5-$10k in a standard savings account tied to my checking (or even just leave it in checking as a true "Oh shit" fund), then about $20k into a high yield (or equavalent account that would be liquid within a couple weeks), and put the rest into real estate. Go out and buy 4-6 houses out in the mid-west that I could rent out. Then as those houses are getting paid off, I would sell the lowest value one and buy a new one worth more than my highest property. After 8-10 years I would ideally be sitting on 4-6 houses worth $250k each and be sitting on well over $1M of property while also receiving ~$5-$8k per month in rent payments...

put the rest into real estate. Go out and buy 4-6 houses out in the mid-west that I could rent out. Then as those houses are getting paid off, I would sell the lowest value one and buy a new one worth more than my highest property. After 8-10 years I would ideally be sitting on 4-6 houses worth $250k each and be sitting on well over $1M of property while also receiving ~$5-$8k per month in rent payments...

That sounds plain awful. Have you ever dealt with tenants on a rental property before? Your $5-8k per month in rent payments will produce about $10k per month in time spent fixing their problems, buying/replacing appliances, and aggravation.

Dex, I'm almost to the point your talking about, we've been working on starting some small rental houses. We were looking at houses in the $40-50k range that would rent for around $5-600ish. I don't think I'd go into the higher end properties to rent. The higher end properties have people looking to move up to their own house, so they turn over more, the cost to rental income ratio goes down and if you lose a tenant, you lose a huge amount of rental income that you will need to take out of your own pocket. I'm not saying be a slum lord, but three or four smaller properties will make you more money than one big property. There are some nice foreclosure properties (not auction) that are worth twice what you pay and make good income.

put the rest into real estate. Go out and buy 4-6 houses out in the mid-west that I could rent out. Then as those houses are getting paid off, I would sell the lowest value one and buy a new one worth more than my highest property. After 8-10 years I would ideally be sitting on 4-6 houses worth $250k each and be sitting on well over $1M of property while also receiving ~$5-$8k per month in rent payments...

That sounds plain awful. Have you ever dealt with tenants on a rental property before? Your $5-8k per month in rent payments will produce about $10k per month in time spent fixing their problems, buying/replacing appliances, and aggravation.

And if the tenants are section 8....

All the more reason to be a good landlord and/or hire a good property manager. Purchase properties that will attract good tennants, spend the extra time screening tennants, and write good contracts to protect your investment. Will that eliminate the risk of someone going apeshit and destroying your property, no. But it will minimize that risk.

Would you rather I put it in the stock market where I could lose 50% because some speculator forgot his coffee and is having a bad day?

Last edited by a moderator:
The horror stories I hear from my ILs about their renters...even the property screened variety....is enough for me never to enter that sort of situation.

I think they have had only 2 renters that actually completed their leases before decided to move elsewhere. The rest either left in the middle of the night or had to be evicted for not paying rent (like 4-5 months worth). The rental that is right next door to their current house bailed while they were on vacation last summer.

One set of renters caught the house on fire by putting the laundry basket right up against the hot water heater...when it ignited to heat the water the clothes ignited as well.

New carpet has been needed pretty much btwn every leasee. Once the people used one of the rooms for all the garbage instead of subscribing to garbage service.

the stories go on and on

Back