When you cool your house down at night?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate going to bed when it's 82 with the AC on, then waking up around 6am when it's 50 outside and still 72 inside.

It would be ideal if the AC would go off and the windows would open themselves about midnight-2am. I need a Jetson house.

You would need a PLC, a couple of RTD's, and some window motors. Let me get estimating to work on that for you :)

What about an autodialer to text him in case of a fault condition, so he doesn't wake up in the morning freezing/sweating his balls off?

There not to bad to install. I wonder if the newer ones are as noisy as the ones from 20 years ago?

We only ran the ac about 3 weeks last summer but the attic fan would come in handy about half the summer...
+1 for the attic fan. Ours came with the house, so no idea on the install but from the look of it they just shoehorned it between the joists and pulled from the nearest circuit for power. Probably easier to install than the ceiling fan I put in a few months ago...

How cold do you like your place when you sleep?

Anything over 69°F and I'm up all night just about, unless I've got a fan blowing directly on me.

I hate going to bed when it's 82 with the AC on, then waking up around 6am when it's 50 outside and still 72 inside.

It would be ideal if the AC would go off and the windows would open themselves about midnight-2am. I need a Jetson house.

You would need a PLC, a couple of RTD's, and some window motors. Let me get estimating to work on that for you :)
this^ except use the temp sensors in your honeywell digital thermostat that reads outdoor and indoor temperature and have the windows open, ceiling fans turn on (and/or an outlet or two for a box fan) and the AC shut down when the Outside temp is below your thermostat setting.

I want to be listed on the patent... :)

I am always working so late that by the time I get home the house is already cooled down

Are you sure you don't have to wait 8 - 10 weeks first?

No it's pretty quick, I have a nest thermostat so I can change it digitally from my phone. Technology is really great, it saves us a lot of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology saves time? Are you sure about that?

Oh definitely. Did you know you can even file your taxes and get a near instant refund?

Hm. How about grading things? You know, like exams and stuff.

Did you say exam grades? What would you like to know?

Will I pass in October 2015?

tumblr_nhu9igM6v81s24chqo1_400.gif

Back