What would you call this type of Civil Engineer?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new_injuneer

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of job descriptions for this type of Civil Engineer:

What you need for this position:

-BS in Civil Engineering from an accredited university
-Professional Registration as a Civil Engineer is preferred, but not required
-3-10 years engineering experience in civil site design
-Familiarly with zoning processes and regulations
-Experience working with multi-discipline teams on site development projects
-Working knowledge of AutoCAD Civil 3D

What you'll be doing:

-Preparation of design drawings and specifications with a focus on site layout, grading, paving, stormwater management, utilities, and erosion control for a variety of site engineering projects
-Preparing construction cost estimates
-Coordinating and preparing permitting documents for regulatory agencies
-Coordinating with other internal team members on multi-discipline projects, which often includes architects, electrical, mechanical and structural engineers

Or this.

Basically, dealing with grading, paving, roads, and stormwater drainage.

Is this what you would call a land development Civil engineer? Or just general Civil?

That mostly sums up what a civil engineer working in land development would do. Here is a good summary:

"Within Land Development , we get a taste of just about everything that civil engineering has to offer. A civil engineer’s on-site development projects are challenged with a wide range of responsibilities, from the design of site grading, pavements, site improvements, stormwater, wastewater, and water distribution systems, to the preparation of detailed permit applications and the understanding of complex and rapidly changing zoning laws and environmental regulations. In addition to coordinating with architects, surveyors, geotechnical engineers, building systems engineers, and other technical consultants, civil engineers in the land development world must also work closely with attorneys, local boards, and commissions, all while meeting tight schedules and budgets."

That was my old job when I was in the private sector...land development. We did a lot of subdivisions (which is why my former company went from ~70 to <20 employees) but that also involves doing commercial and industrial developments depending on the company. It was a good gig...I enjoyed the work, but the only thing they wanted to concentrate on were the high end subdivisions so things went south in a major way when the housing bubble burst.

Site/land development encompasses a lot of different aspects of our field.

I personally do not like these labels, i.e. "Land Development" Civil Engineer. They minimize what we do and what we have had to learn.

To call this position anything other than "Civil Engineer" is insulting to me, but people can call themselves whatever they want.

Good luck getting a job outside of development when you call yourself a "Land Development" Civil Engineer.

Our profession has too many economic cycles to be adding labels.

Back