What were your favorite books as a child?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fifty Yard Dash to the Outhouse

Written by Will E. Makit

Illustrated by Betty Wont

My parents would let me watch any movies about "PG" growing up, but they never sensored what I read. I read The Hunt for Red October in forth grade. Much better than Dr. Suess.

The only part of Highlights I like was Goofus and Gallant. My sister got a subscription one year.

talk about bumping an old thread. MInisnick loves dr suess...me not so much anymore now that I have to read it. HFS they are long stories. THe lorax is his favorite. He has the book, both versions of the movie and the stuffed animal.

...hope he doesn't became a tree hugging hippie because of it. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice bump!!

Right now, Mini-Kevo likes "Go Dog Go."

But, she also likes flipping the pages of my really old CERM. Oh yes, she's gonna be an engineer.

Nice bump!!

Right now, Mini-Kevo likes "Go Dog Go."

But, she also likes flipping the pages of my really old CERM. Oh yes, she's gonna be an engineer.

I get asked "Do you like my hat?" several times a day now.

FWIW, I used hubby's 2001 CERM when I passed the PE in 2011, so it's still beneficial. I should read it to the kiddles.

My absolute fav as a little kid was The Curious Little Kitten.

MiniSC is loving Ladybug Girl Dresses Up, right now. Mostly b/c she likes to find the page with Lulu as the tiger just so she can hear us say "Roar". Hubby and I joke that every time she brings us the book we here the line from Shrek Ever After: "Do the roar!"

Each of my kiddos come home each week with at least 2-3 books from the school library. Different ones each time, no real theme, although my son (2nd grade) started bringing home the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, so we got him a copy for Xmas.

My 9 yr old has just discovered the joy of reading. We got him a series of 9 books on his birthday that we thought were on his reading level. He had them done in less than two days. He is devouring everything he can get his hands on. I remember those days. I am ashamed to say I only read one or two books a year now.

As a kid, I devoured every Louis Sachar book. The "Sideways Stories from Wayside School" trilogy had a huge influence on my sense of humor. And as an adult, I was pleasantly surprised at "Holes" for its serious subject matter.

Never read Mike Mulligan until I had kids...It was Mr. Tex's favorite as a kid, and my kids love it...It was a a beautiful red steam shovel.

I read Dr. Suess over and over again when I was very little, and got hooked on mysteries and thrillers by reading my grandparents' Agatha Christie collection when I would go to stay with them during the summer...

When I could really start reading, I enjoyed the "Calvin & Hobbs" books.

I think I still have "Revenge of the Babysat."

Hank the cowdog was my favorite book series as a kid. I read every book in the series that the library had and even had them borrow the books that they didn't have from the "big city" library.

I loved these books and had a difficult time finding a new series of books to read after I finished them all. Little House on the Praire and Goosebumps just didn't capture my interest or imagination as much.

When we were old enough, my parents used to take us to the library every weekend. I checked out every book on UFO's, bigfoot, bermuda triangle.. etc. that I could get my hands on. I never read them cover to cover, but would scan the pictures and the ocassional testimonials sections. Still kinda do that, but not like a freak or anything.

Mom still has my copy of "Little Black Sambo" from when I was a kid. For some odd reason I don't think that is in print anymore. I made sure she kept it in case it is worth some $$$ someday.

Mini-ble1 loves his bedtime story and he has a big basket of books in his room that he picks from every night. What he wants to hear varies, but he has loved Winnie the Pooh, The Berenstien Bears, Curious George, etc.

When I was little I loved The Pokey Little Puppy and my mom still had the same book that she used to read me, so I've read it to mini-ble some. When I got a little older I was into The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books. We would go to the library and I'd check out 10 of those at a time and finish them all in about 2 weeks. I miss reading and have been doing some in my alone time the past week and a half. I've made it though one Crichton book and am reading a Preston book now.

Back