What VFD material are you bringing?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwatson18

Reaction score
Remember a disproportionate amount of left field questions about VFDs.

Anyone have a good "VFD explained" or white paper?

I understand the application and use (in A/E world for motor control/speed on chillers, AHUs, etc) but didn't run into a lot of VFD type questions in practice tests. I know the questions will be mostly conceptual so looking for one of those short, ah-ha type reads.

Also areas that I'm light on for resources if anybody had any quick internet links for printing/reading before Friday:

Grounding / Ground Rod problems

PLCs (beyond and/or logic - Spinup V1 #6 good starter)

Large OCP/Zones of Protection questions

TCC GRAPHS

Wattmeter/VOM

Thanks and good luck!

Remember a disproportionate amount of left field questions about VFDs.

Anyone have a good "VFD explained" or white paper?

I understand the application and use (in A/E world for motor control/speed on chillers, AHUs, etc) but didn't run into a lot of VFD type questions in practice tests. I know the questions will be mostly conceptual so looking for one of those short, ah-ha type reads.

Thanks and good luck!
Search for Application Guide For AC Adjustable Speed Drive Systems from NEMA... you may have to register. There is both a 10 page summary and an ~ 80 page doc if I remember.

i have a NEMA manual, but i have other books that have bits and pieces i've added to in the margins for simple details.

Back