What state to get SE license?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To those who dealt with the state of Nebraska, how long does it take for Nebraska to issue SE license by comity? I've got my NCEES record set up and am ready to transmit it to them. Just wondering how many weeks it will take for them to review and issue a license.

I sent my NCEES to them last week with the rules and regs test, will let you know when I hear back.  I sent in for NCEES MLSE review at the same time so will let you know on that too.  They said it usually takes about 2 weeks.
Update - Just received my SE license (provisional on next board meeting) today!  Originally sent 6/14, received 7/5 so Nebraska was a 3 week turnaround.  Will update with MLSE timeline when I get it back.

When I applied for mine in Illinois they requested additional project experience from me and outlined what type of work they wanted to see. Since I was in Indiana applying for an SE in Illinois, they were more project specific for what they wanted to see

Update - Just received my SE license (provisional on next board meeting) today!  Originally sent 6/14, received 7/5 so Nebraska was a 3 week turnaround.  Will update with MLSE timeline when I get it back.
Wow that's a really quick turn around for any license I would think.  Good to know.

Eh, when I passed the SE exam, I put SE after my name on business cards, email signature, etc. because I passed the SE exam. I worked too hard on passing that exam that two letters after my name is OK in my opinion. Hard for me to believe that someone would get too bent out of shape about it. Passing the SE exam would make someone an SE, whether or not a particular state recognizes that title or not.  Just my 2 cents. But to play by the rules I guess you should get an SE license from a state that has it. I got my SE in IL. I was pretty easy. Just have your ducks in a row.   

Thanks for the update. I applied on June 30th so hopefully I'll have in two weeks.

When I applied for mine in Illinois they requested additional project experience from me and outlined what type of work they wanted to see. Since I was in Indiana applying for an SE in Illinois, they were more project specific for what they wanted to see

Eh, when I passed the SE exam, I put SE after my name on business cards, email signature, etc. because I passed the SE exam. I worked too hard on passing that exam that two letters after my name is OK in my opinion. Hard for me to believe that someone would get too bent out of shape about it. Passing the SE exam would make someone an SE, whether or not a particular state recognizes that title or not.  Just my 2 cents. But to play by the rules I guess you should get an SE license from a state that has it. I got my SE in IL. I was pretty easy. Just have your ducks in a row.   
Did you guys have direct supervisors with IL SE licenses who reviewed your work? IL wants two years of experience under a licensed SE. I can't meet this requirement because I am in a non-SE state. How does someone from a non-SE state get around this issue?

They never asked me about being under a supervisor from Illinois. I had 7 years of experience when I applied and 3 of those years was a PE directly doing bridge work, a good year long chunk was seismic work in southern Indiana. All my work was just under an Indiana PE. I am guessing that I had so much time directly under a PE who worked on similar projects was enough

Did you guys have direct supervisors with IL SE licenses who reviewed your work? IL wants two years of experience under a licensed SE. I can't meet this requirement because I am in a non-SE state. How does someone from a non-SE state get around this issue?
Our firm has dealt with this in the past.  I would contact the state board.  Usually the response is that the experience under an SE is required if you've worked in an SE state, but they will consider work done under a PE in non-SE states as long as the work and experience are structural related.  

Our firm has dealt with this in the past.  I would contact the state board.  Usually the response is that the experience under an SE is required if you've worked in an SE state, but they will consider work done under a PE in non-SE states as long as the work and experience are structural related.  
I never had any real difficulty on this but they did require me to show that the work I did under a PE was structural related. I agree with smahurin that's how you'll likely have to proceed.

I really got zero questions from IL. Turned application and got my letter from them a few weeks later. However, my boss has been a licensed SE in IL for years, so that may have made the process for me smoother. 

Back