What kind of car do you own?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^I'm not sure how prevalent it is on modern cars but corrosion at either the battery or the starter terminal will cause similar symptoms. That one can be fixed with no parts required.

To test it, jump start the car, then with it running, remove the battery positive cable.
With my bare hands?? Or do I need a special rubber suit?

I would jump start the car then drive it to a place to test the alternator, it can be done without removing the alternator from the vehicle at most parts stores. Usually alternators go bad due to a cheap matrix of diodes costing around 75 cents. Remanufactured alternators simply have new diodes. If you really want to be cheap, buy a 'new' reman alternator, swap the diodes and return it for your money back!
Good idea! I mean the going to the parts store and testing the alternator.

Clicking sounds more like a starter issue. Knock on the starter with a hammer and see if it starts. Usually a dead/dying alternator will make a combination of warning lights come on the dash (possibly the brake and battery lights). Could be the alternator, just sounds like a bad starter.
There are a bunch of lights that come on when I try to start it! Like every light on the dash board starts flashing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but not for testing your battery.
minimaid1.jpg

Current:

2004 Cadillac CTS

2007 Mazda CX-7 (My wife's car)

Past:

2003 Nissan Altima (My wife's car)

2001 Chevrolet malibu

1987 Toyota camry

1992 Chevrolet Corsica

and the answer is....

dead battery!

I took the old one out and brought it to Autozone to be tested, and it was d-e-d, dead. So I bought a new one ($82.99), put it in, and it started right up! whoo-hoo!

Frazil,

With it being summer... I'd still keep an eye on the problem. Maybe just a dead battery, but a new battery may get discharged if the alternator is going out as well. I know most of my battery problems show up in winter when you need the cranking amps. If you've had an issue for a while, then it might have been the battery going bad, but you might want to keep jumper cables and cell phone with you just in case! Always a good thing.

:(

thanks TD.

Last edited by a moderator:
clean your terminals real well, get one of those wire brush tools they sell at the auto parts store. I changed batteries twice before I figured that one out.

Good deal. But if the battery goes dead again => alternator. A new battery will carry the load for while like nothing is wrong, but it eventually will lose it's charge. Of course, if the magic machine at the auto parts store checked for alternator and called it good, then nevermind.

And yes, you can yank the (+) battery cable off while the car is running (not while starting though; that would take guts). Just maintain positive control of the (+) wire and don't let it touch anything else. That would be bad.

And yes, you can yank the (+) battery cable off while the car is running (not while starting though; that would take guts). Just maintain positive control of the (+) wire and don't let it touch anything else. That would be bad.
I'd pull the negative (-) cable instead. You will achieve the same result and if you touch the fender with it, nothing bad will happen.

Heh. I was taking cables loose from the battery one time and accidentally laid the span wrench across both terminals at once.

Not for long, though.

Present:

2006 Mustang

2004 Honda Accord

Past:

1994 Rover 820 SLi

1995 Renault Megane

1990 Peugeot 205

1988 Ford Fiesta

1981 Mini 1000

1983 Mini Picadilly

Present:

2006 Toyota Prius (husband's car)

1995 Honda Accord (my car - when we start a family, I'll get a new car.)

Past:

1992 Toyota Camry

1993 Honda Civic

Back