what exactly are the pass rates?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
here it shows the pass rates are 50% +/- 5%

http://www.pels.ca.gov/applicants/oct10eit.shtml

http://www.pels.ca.gov/applicants/exam_statistics.shtml

here it shows pass rates for first time test takers around 75-80%

http://www.ncees.org/Exams/FE_exam.php

these numbers are so far off. maybe the the number of repeat test takers are so high that lower the overall passrate down significantly.

These pass rates represent April 2011 FE candidates who attended EAC/ABET-accredited engineering programs.

Exam Module First-time takers Repeat takers

Chemical 87% 46%

Civil 79% 42%

Electrical 71% 30%

Environmental 86% 41%

Industrial 71% 62%

Mechanical 81% 32%

Other Disciplines 74% 32%

i took the averages passrates for total 1rst time test takers and got 78%, total for repeat takers is 41%.

from the CA.pels.gov site it says total passrate independent of 1rst or repeat status was 55%.

solved the weighted averages.

basically out of all the test takers 37.8% of people are 1rst time takers; 62.2% are repeat takers in order to arrive at the weighted average pass rate of 55%.

i think i did this right. but it seems pretty ridiculous no?

Last edited by a moderator:
50% is the lowest numbers I have heard to be honest, I think only the first time takers passing percentage is all that should matter....

Plus, the ones you posted from ncees say eac accredited programs and california's doesn't. so you're not comparing apples to apples. somebody posted on here somewhere that you don't even need a college degree to take the exam in ca if you have enough experience. so it looks like they lump all of their candidates together.

Also, in determining the overall averages for 1st time passes (78%) and repeat passes (41%), there is an assumption made that all the disciplines are equally weighted. Still, the numbers surprise me...

Yeah, it definitely sounds like CA has a lower overall pass rate than the national average. Digging some more into the numbers on CA's website, they post 1st time vs. repeat takers for 2002:

Pass Rate Comparison - 1st Time vs. Repeat Test Takers

ENGINEER-IN-TRAINING (FUNDAMENTALS)

# Tested # Pass Pass % # Fail Fail % 1st Time 1766 1174 66.48% 592 33.52% Repeat 1390 358 25.76% 1032 74.24%

with an overall pass rate of 49%. These rates are quite a bit lower than what you calculated from the NCEES numbers.

(data from http://www.pels.ca.gov/applicants/multistats.shtml)

To be honest, I don't think the pass rates are true that they post. I think the most accurate method is determining the pass rate for your self. Go to your state board > download the excel sheet for FE students that passed the exam. They list all students that passed the exam in that state. However, the problem lies in finding how many students took the exam to begin with. Probably have to make a rough estimate there. BTW you won't be able to do a pass rate per specific field but rather as a general engineering community.

Students that passed/Total Students = % passed

... I think the most accurate method is determining the pass rate for your self. .... However, the problem lies in finding how many students took the exam to begin with.
How will you possible know how many people took the exam?!? If you don't know, you can't, with any sense of accuracy, pretend to know the pass rate.

It doesn't hurt to ask them. For all I know, there could be a resouce already in existance that says how many people have taken the test.

Anyhow, for the sake of saying that they are telling the truth. By knowing how many people passed the test, and knowing the percent that has passed, you can determine the total amount of test takers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back