What did you think??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSHAW

Reaction score
The test was a lot different than I had expected. I expected more engineering, but was comfronted with a ton of environmental science and questions rather than problems. I was also really suprised with the lack of Activated Sludge questions, which is highly emphasised in the EERM and "the other board" practice exams.

All in all, I think I did poorly on the AM session and did fairly well on the PM session. Hopefully my PM results were enough to carry my AM results! Any other opinions out there???

Now waiting for January,

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Careful, SSHAW. You are treading in dangerous waters with Tim @ NCEES. I don't think discussing specific topics on the exam (or lack thereof) is wise.

This was trial #3 for me. I felt the most confident after this trial then #1 or #2. We shall see if that translates into positive results. I too was surprised by the amount of quantitative to qualitative questions. I felt that the qualitative were very industry specific. If you did not perform that specific function of environmental engineering, or had the right reference, you would have trouble with it. Luckily, I answered several with references I put in my case at the last minute, even though I hadn't used them to study. Here's to the 10-12 week waiting period (kinda like trying to buy a firearm, only longer).

^^That's exactly how I felt about the qualitative questions on the October 2006 exam.

If you felt confident leaving the exam, then I'd say the chances are good that you passed. But you'll spend the next three months worrying more and more that you didn't. That's a given.

^^That's exactly how I felt about the qualitative questions on the October 2006 exam.
If you felt confident leaving the exam, then I'd say the chances are good that you passed. But you'll spend the next three months worrying more and more that you didn't. That's a given.
Nah. Not until around Christmas, at least. I stressed like hell after the April '07 exam, and it did me no good, except maybe give me an ulcer and acid reflux. October '07, I didn't study as much as I shouldhave, and knew it, and went in with a 'Let's see what happens' attitude. This time, with the help of the enviros on the board (you, JR and VTE especially), I felt like I studied smart and went in the most prepared out of the trials. Now, I just need to figure out how to not get a cramp while keeping my fingers crossed until late December!

This just was posted on the other board. I think my statements were fine according to the agreement.

As a reminder, when you took the NCEES examination you signed an agreement that included the statement that you agreed you “will not reveal in whole or part any exam questions, answers, problems, or solutions to anyone during or after the exam, whether orally, in writing, or any internet chat rooms, or otherwise.” This agreement also stated that failure to comply with this could invalidate your exam results.

We do monitor this and other forums. Please do not share exam content. We do not wish to invalidate your results.

Thanks,

Tim Miller

NCEES Director of Exam Services

Careful, SSHAW. You are treading in dangerous waters with Tim @ NCEES. I don't think discussing specific topics on the exam (or lack thereof) is wise.
This was trial #3 for me. I felt the most confident after this trial then #1 or #2. We shall see if that translates into positive results. I too was surprised by the amount of quantitative to qualitative questions. I felt that the qualitative were very industry specific. If you did not perform that specific function of environmental engineering, or had the right reference, you would have trouble with it. Luckily, I answered several with references I put in my case at the last minute, even though I hadn't used them to study. Here's to the 10-12 week waiting period (kinda like trying to buy a firearm, only longer).

This just was posted on the other board. I think my statements were fine according to the agreement.

As a reminder, when you took the NCEES examination you signed an agreement that included the statement that you agreed you “will not reveal in whole or part any exam questions, answers, problems, or solutions to anyone during or after the exam, whether orally, in writing, or any internet chat rooms, or otherwise.” This agreement also stated that failure to comply with this could invalidate your exam results.

We do monitor this and other forums. Please do not share exam content. We do not wish to invalidate your results.

Thanks,

Tim Miller

NCEES Director of Exam Services
Agreed; I just thought you were getting close to the line, that's all.

The test was a lot different than I had expected. I expected more engineering, but was comfronted with a ton of environmental science and questions rather than problems. I was also really suprised with the lack of Activated Sludge questions, which is highly emphasised in the EERM and "the other board" practice exams.
All in all, I think I did poorly on the AM session and did fairly well on the PM session. Hopefully my PM results were enough to carry my AM results! Any other opinions out there???

Now waiting for January,

Steve
I agree with you..... I felt better about the afternoon than the morning. I have the feeling that it could go either way. Which I hope equates to me being overly nervous and that I pass. Congrats to all on taking the exam and suviving...

I thought the exam was much easier than I expected. But I found the questions to fall into one of three categories:

1) Know it without thinking too hard

2) Easy to look up in EERM

3) No clue at all

Not much difference between the a.m. and p.m. portions. Is there supposed to be a difference?

I thought the exam was much easier than I expected. But I found the questions to fall into one of three categories:
1) Know it without thinking too hard

2) Easy to look up in EERM

3) No clue at all

Not much difference between the a.m. and p.m. portions. Is there supposed to be a difference?
Just the way the material is presented. Water, wastewater and air in the AM; Air, Public Health and Safety, and Solid and Haz. Waste in the PM.

Just the way the material is presented. Water, wastewater and air in the AM; Air, Public Health and Safety, and Solid and Haz. Waste in the PM.
Oh of course. I remember now. The a.m. was all the material I studied before hand. The p.m. was all the material I know from work. Net result, neither was much more difficult than the other.

I did not pass the envrio pe exam in october and will be taking it again in april. i did very well i nthe water/wastewater, I need to do much better in the public health/safety and the air pollution control.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

congrats to those who passed!!

Sorry you didn't make it this time! Did you study "much" for the afternoon topics? I found them to be relatively easy to study for, compared to the water/wastewater subjects. I just concentrated on the materials presented in the ENVRM, with the addition of "Hazardous Waste Management" by LaGrega, and some of the free EPA stuff on RCRA and CERCLA, such as how to determine what a hazardous waste is. Plus the little orange 2004 Emergency Response Guidebook.

I would also recommend the Environmental Law Handbook. I had some lookup answers out of that book. This of course all depends on if you are familiar with your references. Good luck on future trials!

^Actually, for the afternoon topics, I think it is pretty useful to have even references you aren't that familiar with, just on the off chance you can find the answers to some of those odd-ball questions in them. I forgot to mention "Environmental Engineering" by Salvato. It's an expensive book but it's a good one to have at work, and I was able to answer a number of the oddball questions out of it. It does require a bit of familiarity, though, to find things. But not overly so. It's a good book to look up specific pollutants in, and where they might come from, or sampling equipment and methodology, for example.

I agree, Dleg. I put a couple of my references that I had on my shelf, but didn't use to study, in my exam-day dolly. I'm glad that I did, as I had a couple of topics in those references. I would have been a little more comfortable if I had used them to study, though, instead of frantically flipping through them trying to find 'the answer'.

Sorry you didn't make it this time! Did you study "much" for the afternoon topics? I found them to be relatively easy to study for, compared to the water/wastewater subjects. I just concentrated on the materials presented in the ENVRM, with the addition of "Hazardous Waste Management" by LaGrega, and some of the free EPA stuff on RCRA and CERCLA, such as how to determine what a hazardous waste is. Plus the little orange 2004 Emergency Response Guidebook.
What is the ENVRM reference?

sorry, I haven't checked in on the boards in a while.

I did not study as much as I should have for the afternoon sections and I did have any other references other then the envrm. my own cocky fault, I didn't think I'd need much else. I have since found my college text books on haz/solid waste and air pollution control at my parents house and have been using them this time around. I had the OSHA 40 course book somewhere, I have to see if I can find that and I want to round up some of the rcra and cercla info by the end of the month.

Latest posts

Back