What color will the pencil be?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They change the color so that if a participant is brave enough to smuggle in some kind of James Bond spy pen disguised to look like an NCEES pencil that they would have to somehow know the color in advance or smuggle in one of each color.  How such a feat might be accomplished I will leave up to your imagination!

They change the color so that if a participant is brave enough to smuggle in some kind of James Bond spy pen disguised to look like an NCEES pencil that they would have to somehow know the color in advance or smuggle in one of each color.  How such a feat might be accomplished I will leave up to your imagination!
I'm sure that's why, but we're allowed calculators and tons of books. Seems like if someone wanted to cheat they'd use a modified calculator.

That's why we have the NCEES pencils in the first place. One year, two people brought scanning pencils in with them during the FE and started scanning the test questions. They got caught. The next year NCEES started giving out pencils.

I'm sure that's why, but we're allowed calculators and tons of books. Seems like if someone wanted to cheat they'd use a modified calculator.
I never thought of that. maybe NCEES will start giving out calculators every year? If so, I guess the calculators will be construction worker orange the first go around.

Of course, if someone goes to all the trouble to make a convincing calculator camera, wouldn't they have enough requistite engineering knowledge to pass the test? Ethically they should fail of course.

I never thought of that. maybe NCEES will start giving out calculators every year? If so, I guess the calculators will be construction worker orange the first go around.

Of course, if someone goes to all the trouble to make a convincing calculator camera, wouldn't they have enough requistite engineering knowledge to pass the test? Ethically they should fail of course.
You're assuming they don't just have a smart friend make one for them  :D

Back