What circumstances allow for use of trade secret software 'outside' of an organization?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

random_soldier1337

Reaction score
I was reading papers on neutron flux traps. Some people in the University of Tehran used MCNP to determine effectiveness of different neutron moderators. Context out of the way, my question is regarding the situation. How did researchers paid by an organization like the University of Tehran get access to a software like MCNP?

I was reading papers on neutron flux traps. Some people in the University of Tehran used MCNP to determine effectiveness of different neutron moderators. Context out of the way, my question is regarding the situation. How did researchers paid by an organization like the University of Tehran get access to a software like MCNP?
Baring some sort of legal and binding agreement about disclosure, exactly nothing would disallow it. Even then, it doesn't keep it from being disclosed, it only gives legal recourse should it be let out. That's why agreements are made and why it is difficult and important to closely guard information you want to keep a trade secret.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just find it funny because it's an Iranian organization. I'm surprised their application wasn't rejected solely on that basis. I know MCNP allows on line access to ORNL servers without installation of software but still...

Back