What are people taking into the PE Power Test

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbo064

Reaction score
I'm curious what everyone else is planning on bringing to the exam for April 2013. I just got out my milk crate today and filled it with what I plan to bring, this is what I have:

• 2011 NEC Handbook with tab set in them
  • 2012 NESC
  • Camara PPI book
  • A 3 ring binder I created of reference notes, with a index on the front page (this is allowed in my state)
  • 2 TI-36X Pro Calculators
  • Complex Imaginary Samples Exams 1-4
  • NCEES sample exam
  • Electrical Machines, Drives, and Power Systems - by Wildi
  • The notebook I used to work all my practice problems in pen
  • Power System Anaylsis by Gross
  • Eleemnts of power system anaylsis by Stevenson
I only plan on touching the first five things on the exam unless I have extra time or a problem that I'm not expecting comes up. All of this fits in one milk crate.

What are other people bringing with them?

Milk Crate is a great idea in the sense that the books are visible. I don't have one so I will have to do with my backpack. I am taking the following:

• 2011 NEC Handbook with tab set in them
  • 2007 NESC Handbook
  • A 3 ring binder of reference notes, including lighting, engineering economics
  • 1 TI-30X Pro Calculators
  • NCEES sample exam
  • Electrical Machines, Drives, and Power Systems - by Wildi
  • Modern Power system analysis by Kothari and Nagrath
  • Elements of power system anaylsis by Stevenson
Is a notebook written in pen allowed? NCEES Exam day policy says: .."Candidates may bring printed reference materials..".

Out of all the material above, I might skip NCEES sample exam, but other stuff are probably necessary.

I called the board, materials written in pen are allowed, but they should be bound.

I called the board regarding pencil marks in notes. The woman stated that notes with pencil notes are allowed and won't be a problem as long as you put your pencil down when looking through notes to avoid any suspicion.

I took a rolling suitcase, had all of my stuff arranged like a bookshelf beforehand, so I could open it up and read the bookbindings. I set my handwritten binder on my desk and used it for 75% of the test, but could easily reach over for a textbook when I wanted it...

I took a rolling suitcase, had all of my stuff arranged like a bookshelf beforehand, so I could open it up and read the bookbindings. I set my handwritten binder on my desk and used it for 75% of the test, but could easily reach over for a textbook when I wanted it...

You mention handwritten binder, was this in ink or pencil?

I plan to make my notes in pen to be safe, but there could be occasions when I pencil-in notes in my books/binders and just want to be sure that I can take those items or not.

Back