Volunteer PE work

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bigtrees

I was wondering if there is any "pro bono" or volunteer work that a person can do with their PE license?

I'm thinking along the lines of designing a gravel road bed for a rails-to-trails bicycle path, or perhaps a building inspection for a building that a non-profit may be interested in purchasing, or something else along those lines. I'd like to give back to my community - and if I receive my PE license - may be able to offer valuable services for the right organization. Has anyone else considered this or been approached to do any pro bono work?

I was wondering if there is any "pro bono" or volunteer work that a person can do with their PE license?
I'm thinking along the lines of designing a gravel road bed for a rails-to-trails bicycle path, or perhaps a building inspection for a building that a non-profit may be interested in purchasing, or something else along those lines. I'd like to give back to my community - and if I receive my PE license - may be able to offer valuable services for the right organization. Has anyone else considered this or been approached to do any pro bono work?
Most Rails 2 Trails are DOT sponsored, at least in Pa. I know one being constructed near my house right know is under contract from the DOT. So I am assuming that it was designed by an engineering firm since it has E&S measures installed and gabions along the stream bank.

As far as the Non-Profits, I haven't heard of anything like that but it sounds good. You may want to take out liability insurance on yourself if you do anything like that because like the old saying goes "No good deed goes unpunished".

Back