Video Inspection Specifications for Storm/Sanitary

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiayi221

Reaction score
On a recent project I have come across the following language in the specs regarding video inspection which I believe is ambiguous and I would appreciate this community's feedback:

Specification:

"In addition to above testing, provide video inspection by an approved television video inspection service at no cost to Owner. Videotapes shall be indexed by run between manholes, laterals, and/or catch basins including digital recording of each one-foot of stationing. Depth of ponding shall be determined by attaching a one-inch gauge in front of the camera during inspection."

Contractor is claiming that by qualifying the second sentence with "digital recording of each one-foot of stationing" and not specifically stating that all new work must be videoed, only the mainline needs to be videoed:

- Laterals/culverts to catch basins are not shown by one-foot of stationing but rather feet L/R of centerline, thus negating the second sentence.

- Due to the diameter of the laterals and the traps, only a push cam willl be able to make the it down, thus negating the use of a one-inch gauge to measure ponding.

- Laterals are SDR 17 HDPE without any joints.

- Laterals have already passed all pressure tests.

- Due to traps, push cam may not even get through without the risk of damaging clay trap.

Owner is claiming that "run between manholes, laterals, and/or catch basins" takes precedence (regardless of the other language in the paragraph) and therefore video of laterals and culverts to catchbasins are required by contract.

I understand the Owner's request for video of laterals, it is just more guarantee on workmanship. However, as the CM on the project, I will need to make a determination on whether the video is contract work and discuss with the Owner. There are over 80 catch basin laterals alone which means more than a week of work so contractor is unlikely to let this go. I am leaning toward change order as any ambiguity in the specifications are usually considered owner's responsibility.

Any feedback is appreciated!

[SIZE=10.5pt]Why are you doing this for new work? What size is the mainline? Do the inverts of the laterals match the mainline (in other words, can the inspection camera easily turn up into the laterals)? What size are the laterals? Can the camera fit in the laterals?[/SIZE]

This is what happens when lawyers don't consult with engineers on contract language.

There is also a discrepancy between "videotapes" and "digital recording".

IANAL. I don't agree with 'by qualifying the second sentence with "digital recording of each one-foot of stationing" and not specifically stating that all new work must be videoed, only the mainline needs to be videoed' The section starts with "In addition to above testing" which means that the above testing lists what must be tested, and in addition...

I think that it wants video confirmation of all new work. I think that you should be able to negotiate a change in the language to exclude testing sections where testing may damage them, and remove the 1-inch gauge where it won't fit. In short. Talk to everyone and negotiate what works. Maybe they can't express what they want or what they need in the language you are looking for.

Renegotiate, and clearly define what will be videoed, how, and in what format (tape, digital).

Back